PDA

View Full Version : Rats

wall_st
07-21-2005, 03:21 AM
So Im in the middle of an MTT and am running back and forth between making food and playing. There is a doorway the leads into the living area and as I am walking out I notice .... A TAIL! Then the tail starts running away from me. I go to grab one of the roommates and as I am returning to the area I see the bastard running across the room. The rat is quite large and for some reason I flee like a little girl when I see it.

This is not my house, it is my girlfriend's and she is currently renting. This place is a shithole in an overpriced college town. It is a house owned by an older man who is basically the most useless landlord I have ever encountered. This is not the first encounter with vermin at this house, Cockroaches are a HUGE problem (probably worth another thread) in the area and they have caught MULTIPLE rats with traps before in this house.

So I am wondering if anyone here has had experience with rats and wtf the best solution for them is ? They only have one trap here and have said that the most effective way to bait the rat has been to use peanut butter and bread. The rat is quite big, so I think most traps that kill rats would be very messy. Also the roommates here seem nearly unfazed by the rat problem as they have had to deal with it all this year, so how should i go about getting things done seeing as I don't really live here ?

[censored]
07-21-2005, 04:29 AM
rats scare the [censored] out me. i have no idea why but they do. i would leave and never return to any house that I saw a rat in.

BOTW
07-21-2005, 04:34 AM
At least for mice, I've always had good luck with a Doritos bag with crumbs. Leave it on the floor and you'll hear that dude get in even if you are sleeping (not passed out). Put the fucker outside for the cats that are likely running around the neigborhood. Caulk the [censored] outta everything.

wacki
07-21-2005, 04:36 AM
Get rid of them. They carry all sorts of nasty diseases.

www.google.com (http://www.google.com)

keyword "rat trap"

walk around the house and plug up any holes in the foundation/walls. Use sheet metal, concrete, etc. Simply stuffing paper in the holes won't cut it. They will pull it out.

xadrez
07-21-2005, 08:55 AM
Isnt it mandatory for Landlords to solve rat infestations? If the landlord does not solve the problem then call the city. Another solution is to hold out on paying rent until he solves the problem. It might be risky but I have done it before with slumlords with good success.

MrTrik
07-21-2005, 09:19 AM
Get a couple of young cats. Let them have the run of the house at night. Your problem will be solved in a couple of weeks or so depending on the size of the infestation.

I built a new house 10 years ago and rats are part of that deal. They get in and nest during constuction. I had two cats and each morning for almost 2 weeks there would be a dead rat laid out in the main hallway from the bedroom. No mess, no blood. Just a small incision and certain death. Never had a rat problem since.

jakethebake
07-21-2005, 09:20 AM
The glue traps work well. But then you have a live rat stuck in glue to dispose of. I vote for a BB gun. It's entertaining as well as effective.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-21-2005, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I vote for a BB gun. It's entertaining as well as effective.

[/ QUOTE ]
YES!

RacersEdge
07-21-2005, 11:41 AM
Get a couple badass tom cats - mice, rats, chipmunks - gone.

If you don't like cats, maybe a couple pythons.

wall_st
07-22-2005, 02:53 AM
So I came back to the house this evening and was unloading stuff from the car when I hear my girlfriend screaming. I came into HER ROOM at the mother fing rat had just run out from underneath the bed and back under. I had to jump up and down on the bed until the thing came out during which time it ran to the top of her closet and sat there until I prodded it with a broom. It then proceeded to run around some more until we lost it and it showed up in the living room. It hid in the living room momentarily then ran out through the kitchen, where we are pretty certain there is a hole in the wall.

Note the whole time I was screaming like a little girl trying to locate this vermin.

However we set a trap directly after this happened, I put reeses peanut butter cups and cheez its in the trap. Within an hour the little bastard showed up and was caught. It was one of those live traps so we drowned him out in back and tossed him in the garbage. I believe that it was only one rat but I think im going to set this trap from now on.

Ugh I feel dirty.