PDA

View Full Version : Understanding Pot Equity

LesWormMurphy
07-21-2005, 03:20 AM
Can somebody please quickly explain to me how you calculate pot equity? I was reading SSHE, and I didn't exactly understand how a four flush is 35% pot equity, for example.

Thanks alot.

Colonel Kataffy
07-21-2005, 03:29 AM
Think of it this way, winning 100% of the pot 35% of the time is basically the same as winning 35% of the pot 100% of the time.

In the example given, you have about a 35 percent chance of winning the pot. Thus, in a sense, you own 35 percent of that pot. This is equity.

dealer_toe
07-21-2005, 03:58 AM
a flush draw is about 35% to come in. So technically 35% of the pot is yours. So if the pot is 4 way or more you have an equity edge.

LesWormMurphy
07-21-2005, 04:34 AM
Okay, I understand the four-flush--

So now am I correct in assuming that your percentage of catching (assuming it's the nuts if you do catch) is your pot equity?

Again, pardon my inexperience.

randomstumbl
07-21-2005, 04:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So now am I correct in assuming that your percentage of catching (assuming it's the nuts if you do catch) is your pot equity?

[/ QUOTE ]

You might be in a situation where you have AKs and a flush draw. You'll have the nuts if the flush comes, but you also may win if you make a pair of aces or kings.

Since you're not positive a pair of aces or kings will win, you discount those outs. If you think one pair will win 1/2 the time, those six outs are really worth about 3 outs.

Usually, there's a certain amount of uncertainty when you're calculating pot equity. If you make your flush, someone could still make a full house to beat you. Learning how to better estimate pot equity is just another part of becoming a better player.

dealer_toe
07-21-2005, 05:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I understand the four-flush--

Again, pardon my inexperience.

[/ QUOTE ]

put simply you're right. Its the percentage of the pot is yours. And that percentage comes from how often your draw comes in, or how often your hand is best.