PDA

View Full Version : Trying to step up my game....a live Pot Limit hand.

tripdad
07-21-2005, 03:13 AM
first, let me tell you that i am a successful player, and have been for over 2 1/2 years now. the thing is, though, i have always played so tight, it is hard for me to drag a big pot from people who i play with frequently. what i have relied on to win consistently in my live games are fish who come and go.

in this hand, the villain on the button is a regular, and the best player at the table. he has an uncanny ability to extract maximum value from his monsters, and rarely gets into a big pot without the best hand, or a monster draw.

the hand:

i am in the BB, and am 2nd largest stack at the table. the big stack is not involved in the hand. i have K /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif.

there are 2 limpers, and a player in mid position raises to $10. the action folds around to the button, who cold calls. SB folds, and i defend my blind. both early limpers fold.

Flop ($33 afetr rake): A /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif

i check, MP bets $20. button raises to $50. i raise to $150 (i have both players well covered).

one note. almost immediately after the button cold calls the raise from MP before the flop (MP is not a regular, and has raised a couple times preflop, but i'd never seen any of his hands), he says to the SB, "i can't believe i didn't re-raise with this hand."

thanks for the input, guys!

fimbulwinter
07-21-2005, 03:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
first, let me tell you that i am a successful player, and have been for over 2 1/2 years now. the thing is, though, i have always played so tight, it is hard for me to drag a big pot from people who i play with frequently. what i have relied on to win consistently in my live games are fish who come and go.

in this hand, the villain on the button is a regular, and the best player at the table. he has an uncanny ability to extract maximum value from his monsters, and rarely gets into a big pot without the best hand, or a monster draw.

the hand:

i am in the BB, and am 2nd largest stack at the table. the big stack is not involved in the hand. i have K /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif.

there are 2 limpers, and a player in mid position raises to $10. the action folds around to the button, who cold calls. SB folds, and i defend my blind. both early limpers fold.

Flop ($33 afetr rake): A /images/graemlins/club.gif8 /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/club.gif

i check, MP bets $20. button raises to $50. i raise to $150 (i have both players well covered).

one note. almost immediately after the button cold calls the raise from MP before the flop (MP is not a regular, and has raised a couple times preflop, but i'd never seen any of his hands), he says to the SB, "i can't believe i didn't re-raise with this hand."

thanks for the input, guys!

[/ QUOTE ]

stack sizes are necessary.

fim

tripdad
07-21-2005, 03:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

me: ~$350, MP: ~$175, button: ~230

cheers!

Macquarie
07-21-2005, 08:09 AM
This certainly looks +EV. Your bet if flat called will leave button with 70 dollars though... Did you choose this specific amount rather than a push for specific reason?

If he flat calls and you miss the turn, you're happy to pay 70 to see the river so it's no problem, but are you better to push the flop to slightly increase your fold equity?

jkkkk
07-21-2005, 08:26 AM
I don't see the point of you 3-betting to $150, if your going to re-raise, push.

xorbie
07-21-2005, 08:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

me: ~$350, MP: ~$175, button: ~230

cheers!

[/ QUOTE ]

Push the flop. It's not like it's not going in on the turn.

swolfe
07-21-2005, 10:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see the point of you 3-betting to $150, if your going to re-raise, push.

[/ QUOTE ]

POT LIMIT

but you could have made it $200, right? that would have been pretty close to a push for button.

i think i'd have led the flop

tripdad
07-22-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

POT LIMIT

but you could have made it $200, right? that would have been pretty close to a push for button.

i think i'd have led the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i could have made it $200 to go. as for leading the flop, i generally do this if i flop 15 outs, but not 12. i would hate to get a call/call, and give up some fold equity. if the action checks around, i lead out on the turn for full pot, and am likely to take it down there.

both players folded in this instance, so it worked out just fine. the button had AK, which is what i put him on. i was quite confident he would fold to a 3rd raise, putting me on a set of eights.

thanks for the advice, guys...next time, i'll make it $200 straight.

cheers!