PDA

View Full Version : How good is Lee Jones "WLLH"

PokerAmateur4
07-21-2005, 01:51 AM
How solid of a guide to you find this, especially concerning PF advice.

speirs
07-21-2005, 02:39 AM
I think it depends on what your current experience is. When you are a complete novice, it's a good book to start with.

Pokey
07-22-2005, 01:43 PM
That was the first poker book I ever read. I loved it because I didn't know any better. Get SSHE instead and avoid having to unlearn all the weak-tight crap in there.

crunchy1
07-22-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Get SSHE instead and avoid having to unlearn all the weak-tight crap in there.

[/ QUOTE ]
SSHE is not a good beginning book - which, incidentally, it directly states in one of the prefaces. I hear that Miller's new book "Getting Started in Hold'em" is excellent - though I haven't read it myself.

SeaEagle
07-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Lee Jones' book is great for a beginner. It's very straightforward and the pre-flop tables are an excellent place to start.

And personally, I think you should learn the weak/tightish style he teaches before learning more advanced play.

krimson
07-22-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That was the first poker book I ever read. I loved it because I didn't know any better. Get SSHE instead and avoid having to unlearn all the weak-tight crap in there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say the path of least resistance to learn poker is to go from fish to rock to tag. Trying to go from LP-P to TA-A in one step is just a recipe for disaster.

I would say WLLH is the best starting book. I havn't however read Getting Started in Hold'Em, so I can't comment on that.

edit: Typo

droolie
07-22-2005, 02:03 PM
Getting Started in Hold 'Em is a better beginner book. Read that then buy SSH. WLLH was the first book I read and it took me a long time to drop the weak tight mentality.

One of the mantras in WLLH is that when playing a hand we should always be thinking "I'm looking for a reason to fold." You won't find nuggets like that in GSIH or SSH.

*I have GSIH and it's basically SSH light.

flair1239
07-22-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How solid of a guide to you find this, especially concerning PF advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are losing now. It will make you stop losing. If you are breakeven or a slight winner, read something else.

WLLH is the best beginners book out there period. You can give someone that book and if they read and heed, they can hold there own in most games 2/4 and lower.

wayabvpar
07-22-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WLLH is the best beginners book out there period.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you read GSIH? It is far superior IMHO- it sets the stage for SSH to make sense to you down the line.

mantasm
07-22-2005, 03:09 PM
I think most people are probably commenting on the 2nd edition. It was an ok book that would turn you into a slightly winning player at most low limit games. I understand that the 3rd edition has been significantly revised by Lee Jones and Barry Tannenbaum and many of the weak tight mistakes have been corrected. I haven't read it yet though so I don't know for sure. I don't think the limit section in GSIH is thorough enough for someone who wants to focus only on limit holdem.