PDA

View Full Version : Does 2+2 publishing have this kind of obligation?

ClaytonN
07-21-2005, 12:04 AM
If any of you were watching the WSOP television event last Tuesday night, you'll have noted that one of the guys who got busted by Bellande (77 vs. AK) noted that he built his entire tournament game on the Harrington books.

This inadvertent advertisement had to help 2+2 in some way. In this case (and in future similar situations), should 2+2 publishing have some kind of obligation to give this player some kind of gift for his shout out? After all, the player did likely boost sales of the Harrington on Hold'em series with the televised event being aired across the world on ESPN.

MicroBob
07-21-2005, 12:09 AM
If I wear a NY Yankees hat at the table during a WSOP event are the Yankees indebted to me for helping advertise their brand-name on TV?

What if I say "Let me take a sip of my DELICIOUS AND REFRESHING ICE-COLD DIET COCA-COLA before I decide whether to call your all-in or not."

ClaytonN
07-21-2005, 12:12 AM
I think we both know those examples are ludicrous and exagerrated, unlike the WSOP player's seemingly genuine claim.

Are you inciting that the reference to the HOH series belongs with the Diet Coke reference, or that the HOH series reference will somehow lead to the Diet Coke reference?

Vincent Lepore
07-21-2005, 12:31 AM
What a dumb post! And they tried to ban me.

Vince

TheBlueMonster
07-21-2005, 12:34 AM
you mean Coke with Lime....it's refreshing and has that extra zing... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MicroBob
07-21-2005, 12:59 AM
I don't think i'm 'inciting' anything.
But i do think the two are analagous and that is indeed my implication.

I didn't see the 2+2 reference though as I only watched the first few minutes of that episode.

I've seen many mini-segments on the WPT or WSOP coverage where someone mentions super-system or something and I don't think there is any more obligation from them (or 2+2) then the diet-coke stuff.

Honestly, at first I couldn't tell whether you were joking in your original post or not because I think the idea that 2+2 is somehow indebted to them for the reference is kind of silly (and not really that much more silly than my comparisons).

eric5148
07-21-2005, 01:06 AM
I didn't watch the tournament you're referring to. So you're saying some poker noob buys two books for $50 or whatever, then goes deep into a tournament and makes a ton of money all because of the books, and 2+2 owes HIM something?

Bartman387
07-21-2005, 01:47 AM
I agree that 2+2 owes him nothing, but it is common practice for companies to send feebies to talk show hosts, celebrities, public personalities, in gratitude for mentioning their product in the public eye and in hopes that they will continue to mention their product.

eric5148
07-21-2005, 02:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree that 2+2 owes him nothing, but it is common practice for companies to send feebies to talk show hosts, celebrities, public personalities, in gratitude for mentioning their product in the public eye and in hopes that they will continue to mention their product.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but buying a can of Coke doesn't allow you to get TV shows. Buying poker books however, will allow you to win money at poker and get on televised poker tournaments.

Bartman387
07-21-2005, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but buying a can of Coke doesn't allow you to get TV shows. Buying poker books however, will allow you to win money at poker and get on televised poker tournaments.

[/ QUOTE ]
So we're in agreement, since in my first post I said 2+2 owed him nothing.

I was just saying that what the OP suggested isn't as outrageous as many posters would have you think. And lets not forget that 2+2 is a business out to make money, they write great books and have a provided a great forum for us, but the bottom line is that they are a business. They provide a service/product just like Pepsi, McDonalds and Heinz, it just happens that 2+2's products are books and not hamburgers. They were probably very happy that they got free advertising for one of their books and wouldn't be suprised if they saw a small bump in figures for HOH this month.

-Skeme-
07-21-2005, 02:44 AM
I think he should being paying THEM since he sucked so bad.

Iron Tigran
07-21-2005, 03:49 AM
Only if 2+2 can sue some donk who spouts off about how great ToP is just before calling off all his chips when drawing dead...

clutch
07-21-2005, 03:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In this case (and in future similar situations), should 2+2 publishing have some kind of obligation to give this player some kind of gift for his shout out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course not.

grjr
07-21-2005, 04:41 AM
Was the 2nd Harrington book even out when that tournament was played?

[censored]
07-21-2005, 05:10 AM
dude, no.

MicroBob
07-21-2005, 06:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it just happens that 2+2's products are books and not hamburgers.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is an extremely valid point.
If 2+2 ever ventured into the 'hamburger' realm I would definitely purchase more of their products.

They produce quality books.....and I have no reason to believe that they couldn't produce hamburgers of an equally high quality.

riverboatking
07-21-2005, 06:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What a dumb post! And they tried to ban me.

[/ QUOTE ]

you know i never thought this day would come, but i agree with you completely.

PukaPlaya
07-21-2005, 07:04 AM
Obligated???????

That is plain silly and the thought actually annoys me.

Sending him HOH 2 would be a nice gesture but they are in no way obligated.

BarronVangorToth
07-21-2005, 08:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
should 2+2 publishing have some kind of obligation to give this player some kind of gift for his shout out?

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean other than the thousands and thousands of dollars that he won based on a product he paid $25 for?

Sure, they could give him something, but they are not obligated to do so.

If anything, wouldn't you think HE is obligated to give 2+2 something based on who gave whom more in the relationship...?

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

Ghazban
07-21-2005, 09:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What if I say "Let me take a sip of my DELICIOUS AND REFRESHING ICE-COLD DIET COCA-COLA before I decide whether to call your all-in or not."

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why, but this was really really really funny /images/graemlins/grin.gif I wonder what the table image of a guy continuously spouting advertising slogans would be....

BarronVangorToth
07-21-2005, 09:40 AM
I was planning on hitting a number of WSOP events this year but my whole gallstone-attack-gall-bladder-removal-random-complications thing got in the way ... but, next year, trust me, if (when!) I get to random final tables for TV, I will be whoring myself off so much that whores (http://www.philhellmuth.com/home.php) will call me a whore.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com

MrTrik
07-21-2005, 05:59 PM
There is no way any company is obligated to pay for something someone did on their own free will. That is moranic.

MicroBob
07-21-2005, 06:11 PM
I would probably be the one who could pull this off to the most annoying (and, I guess, humorous) degree.

i could just turn on my 'radio-voice' and get crazy (I worked in radio for several years prior to my 'poker-career' and have done some occasional voice-over work).

"With this pot I just one I'm now THAT much closer to purchasing......A BRAND NEW CAR!!!!!!! YES, THE 2005 MODEL INFINITI AND IT'S SLEEK DESIGN....(blah blah blah)"

VoraciousReader
07-21-2005, 08:53 PM
And, MicroBob, when you win the ME at the World Series of Poker,

ARE YOU GOING TO DISNEYWORLD??????

(In my head you sound like Bob Barker's emcee when you say "BRAND NEW CAR.")

You should do this. I would pay real cash money to see this. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

jordanx
07-21-2005, 10:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I wear a NY Yankees hat at the table during a WSOP event are the Yankees indebted to me for helping advertise their brand-name on TV?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it depends, do you have an agent?

Lottery Larry
07-21-2005, 10:58 PM
No

excession
07-22-2005, 08:27 AM
lol how about the obligations of the player to 2+2 - if I bought a book for $20 that enabled me to cash at WSOP ME it would be me tipping 2+2, not the other way around..

burningyen
07-22-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No

[/ QUOTE ]

Voltron87
07-22-2005, 01:38 PM
would it be a nice gesture from 2p2 inc? yes.

obligated? not even close.

wtf are you talking about clayton, obligated? didnt you say about 500 times you had a 150 IQ?

tek
07-23-2005, 10:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Turning 180 degrees, I'm surprised we don't hear reamrks ala major league baseball announcing in televised poker events:

Norm: He really put the hammer down on that one...

Lon: Yes, and speaking of hammers--they have great ones at XXX Hardware!

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Dan Mezick
07-24-2005, 07:13 PM
2+2 owes the player nothing for the plug. The player owes 2+2 nothing.

tek
07-24-2005, 10:23 PM
Thread over.