PDA

View Full Version : Monterey Trip Report - Long - (pics)

ClaytonN
07-20-2005, 11:46 PM
Well, today we left Monterey and I'm currently in San Francisco. The parents are out eating sushi for the second time in 4 days (???) so while they're out I'm using the internet connection here at the Hyatt by the pier to check up on things and post some pics here before I walk around Fisherman's wharf for a little while.

Anyways, Monterey was great. The flight in was fairly long, and I took liberty in taking many, many pictures from the airplane. Some pics were actually pretty cool, others not so much. The lady sitting next to me drank at least 3 shots of Tanqueray, though I'm too lazy to see just how much alcohol that was. She was a nice lady =)

Once we got into San Jose, it was a shortish car trip down to Monterey, but we stopped to eat sushi. I tried tuna rolls for the first time. It was pretty good, but holy hell it was spicy! What was most interesting about the sushi place was the way it was designed. The area where the sushi chefs made the sushi was something of an island, where the outer ring was a conveyer belt that carried the nwly made sushi rolls. You could take any of the plates and add them to your dinner, and the pricing was based on the color/design of the plate that held your newly acquired sushi. I've been to some sushi places before in Atlanta and had never seend this, so I thought this concept was cool as hell.

After sushi, we managed to (finally) get down to the Lodge at Pebble Beach. We were originally planning to go to San Francisco first, but for some reason we ended up going to Monterey first. Not sure why. Due to this, we were put in a different room for the night that was nearby the Pebble Beach putting green, with no view of the course or the ocean in sight.

The next day we all woke up half-rested (since my dad is very talented at snoring loudly) and took a trip out to Hearst Castle, some 2.5 hours down highway 1 from Monterey. The trip down was awesome scenically, and the parents said it reminded them very much of Ireland, the way the mountains jutted into the ocean and the fog always rolled in. Many pictures were taken, and lunch was eaten in Big Sur. About 15 minutes before we finally reached the castle, there was an area on the beach where travelers could stop and see elephant whales, either laying out on the beach or fighting/playing in the waves. That was pretty damn cool, because I had never seen an elephant seal before.

As nice as the trip was, the actual tour of the Hearst castle was very uneventful, at least that's how I would put it. I had been to the Biltimore Estates earlier, and this was pretty similar, except in California. I had seen parts of Citizen Kane, so I somewhat knew the history of Hearts. Regardless, it was nice getting out in the sun even though there wasn't many entertaining things to do.

The car drive back was MISERABLE. I kept having to tell myself this was sacrifice for getting to play Pebble Beac and Spylgass Hill the next two days, and that carried me on through the afternoon. It was the same ride back, but if any of you have taken highway 1 between Salinas and Monterey, you'll know that the ride has lots of curves and elevation changes. Needless to say after a few hours I got reaaallyy car sick, but some ginger ale and sun chips in big sur helped change that. That night we ate italian food in Carmel.

So, the next morning, the pretty awesome morning I'd have to say. My dad and I woke up at 6:30 to hit range balls and get ready to play pebble beach! I was psyched. When we got to the first tee you could tell what kind of establishment it was, given that the head guy in the pro shop looked like a coorporate lawyer, and the starter on the first tee looked older than hell. Our caddy's name was Patrick, and he was a gentleman who looked to be in his early 40's. Kind of a slimmish version of the guy who played the commander in Houston in the Apollo 13 movie.

The first tee shot was surpringly complacent (if that's the word to descire it). A lack of jitters, anyways. I managed to hit my tee ball down the right side of the fairway. The approach shot sadly went into the bunker, but I got out of there and made bogey! I'm around a 20 handicap, so bogey is basically par for me.

Then, onto the second hole, a 500 yard par five. We were playing from the gold tees, by the way, which were the tees in front of the blue tees. Around 6400 yards, I think. Going on a tangent, the greens at Pebble were smaller than the greens at any other course I had ever played, which likely made up for the lack of yardage (and we were playing in calm weather, I couldn't imagine playing in 25+ mph winds).

Anyways, the second hole: I hit my tee shot perfect, down the right side of the fairway, and knocked the crap o ut of my 3 wood and got it on the back of the green. 2 putts, and I make birdie! yahoo! Even par through 2 holes! Couldn't have been happier - that is, until I triple bogey the 3rd hole and double bogie the 4th hole. Reality sets in further when I bogey the 5th hole.

Then, I played a succession of three holes that will probably let me rest in peace as a (somewhat) poor golfer. On the 6th hole I nailed my teeshot down the right side of the fairway. This was a par five, and most of you have seen pictures of it. The approach shot to the par five literally goes abou 3 stories uphill to a green perched on a cliff. I hit my three wood about 30 yards short of the green, pitched to the front collar of the green, and 2 putter. Par!

Then, the coolest moment. EVER! I stood out on probably the most famous par 3 hole in golf, the 100 yard seventh hole. Just google it, I'm sure you've seen it before.

Oh, gosh, I have to go on a tangent. I forgot to mention the other two guys I was playing with in addition to my dad. One was an executive for Bank of America who managed relations between the credit card companies and the banks in Louisville. The other was the marketing executive for travel and leisure golf magazine from NY.

Anyways, back to the 7th hole. The guy from NY hit first, and hit over the green with a wedge. The second guy hit his ball, and like the firs guy he hit his over the green with a wedge. I had practiced one shot in particular leading up to this day, a halfway hit 9-iron for this occasion. I hit it, but I chunked it. SHAT! The ball flew low, and I begged it not to go into the bunker. Thankfully it landed on the front collar of fringe and bounded up.. and rolled. At first glance I though it had the pace for a hole-in one, and the heart sank. Sadly, it slowed down thanks to hitting the rough, but it just kept rolling until it stopped maybe 7 feet short of the green. There's nothing that compares to that. But I still had to make the putt!

So, we took a group photo in front of the 7th green,a dn I stepped up to the putt. Patrick the caddy told me it would break a cup right, and I agreed with him. I pulled the putt, but thankfully it broke... into the hole!!! WOO! I had just birdied the most famous par 3 in golf. I started acting like a retarded version of a white Tiger Woods that couldn't dance, but I didn't care. The 8th hole came along and I parred that one, too. So I played 6 through 8 one under par. Kill me now, for my life was complete as a 20 handicap golfer.

Beyond that there was some unspectacular scores 9and another par on the 10th hole) and I finished my round somewhere in the mid 90's. Getting an 11 on the 18th hole did not help either, in spite of the fact I got it to the greenside bunker in three (use your imagination). I forgot what we ate that night. Erm, last night. My memory sucks.

So, today we woke up and played Spyglass Hill. Sadly, no pictures, but I could sum it up pretty easily: THIS COURSE IS HARD. Oh man, wow. I played better at Spyglass than I did at Pebble in most stretches and I still did not break 100. It was that hard.

I did manage to make one birdie, however, on the short par 4 seventeenth. Driver, sand wedge, 3 foot putt! Awesome. Of course, had I missed that putt I would have screamed many profanities, as this was the kind of golfing day you wanted to forget, even though you were playing at another top-10 golf course in America. Just the previous hole I think I carded something like a 12. I dunno.

We packed our things after that golf round and headed straight up to San Francisco, stopping near Palo Alto so my sophomore sister could look at the Stanford Campus. It is much, MUCH browner than I thought, very little green grass. And UGA looks so much more awesome. Stanford clearly the better school, though.

So, now I sit in the Hyatt in San Fran. I'm definitely going to the Wharf tomorrow afternoon for the clam chowder in the bread bowl, and we leave in 2 days. If anyone has some outstanding dinner recommendations feel free to shout something out, though I think my dad already has plans? I'm not sure.

Okay, on to the pictures (oh man, this is gonna take a while, but oh well. Imageshack is slower than hell on the hotel connection) -

Hitting out of the bunker @ 1 on Pebble:
http://img350.imageshack.us/img350/628/img34389wy.th.jpg (http://img350.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img34389wy.jpg)

Driving on the 6th in mid-swing:
http://img350.imageshack.us/img350/4136/img34585kh.th.jpg (http://img350.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img34585kh.jpg)

Me acting like a retard on the 7th hole before birdieing:
http://img350.imageshack.us/img350/3728/img34707dc.th.jpg (http://img350.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img34707dc.jpg)

Tee shot on the famous 18th:
http://img350.imageshack.us/img350/8184/img35011rc.th.jpg (http://img350.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img35011rc.jpg)

fsuplayer
07-20-2005, 11:51 PM
awesome report, nice pics.

i cant wait to get out there myself.

btw, decent looking swing, esp. in the bunker shot, a tad laid off, but decent nonetheless!

2+2 wannabe
07-20-2005, 11:54 PM
awesome!

eric5148
07-20-2005, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
btw, decent looking swing, esp. in the bunker shot, a tad laid off, but decent nonetheless!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, that's what I thought. A little flat.

Nice pics dude.

ClaytonN
07-20-2005, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Heh, if I played more than once every 2-3 months I think I could be a good golfer. Maybe I'll have more time for that in college. Wait a second, I will definitely have more time for what.

youtalkfunny
07-21-2005, 01:01 AM
Can't believe you got carsick on the way back. Horrible break. Coolest Scenic Drive in the country.

johnnybeef
07-21-2005, 01:06 AM
I am so jealous.

IHateKeithSmart
07-21-2005, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, Justin Leonard'ish. Duck hook a lot?

Nice post + pics, you lucky bastard /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MrWookie47
07-21-2005, 01:11 AM
I've done the drive from Hearst Castle to Monterey. The best part wasn't the castle, it was stopping at one of the beaches just north of it to drive up and watch the seals and sea lions. Dude, watching the tub-o-lard elephant seals wallow on the beach or surf in the waves is just awesome. If you go back, it's worth a stop.

eric5148
07-21-2005, 02:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yep, Justin Leonard'ish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Justin doesn't really have that anymore. He's been working with Butch.

mike l.
07-21-2005, 04:38 AM
whenever youre in monterey eat at stokes adobe restaurant. it's great.

ChipWrecked
07-21-2005, 06:26 AM
The area where the sushi chefs made the sushi was something of an island, where the outer ring was a conveyer belt that carried the nwly made sushi rolls. You could take any of the plates and add them to your dinner, and the pricing was based on the color/design of the plate that held your newly acquired sushi. I've been to some sushi places before in Atlanta and had never seend this, so I thought this concept was cool as hell.

This is the way a true sushi bar is set up, i.e. the way they do it in Japan.

on_thg
07-21-2005, 08:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am so jealous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shajen
07-21-2005, 11:25 AM
Bump because you suck and this was a good trip report.

I'm jealous. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

xLukex
07-21-2005, 12:54 PM
Nice little munchkin dance!

*jealous*

wayabvpar
07-21-2005, 01:01 PM
Awesome pics! I WILL play Pebble some day. I will also shoot 150 when I do, which will give me plenty of time for photo ops /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ClaytonN
07-21-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

omfg seriously, how did you know. I'm not kidding.

And yeah, they were sea lions and not elephant seals. fairly sure.

fsuplayer
07-21-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

omfg seriously, how did you know. I'm not kidding.

[/ QUOTE ]

if i remember right, having a flat backswing forces you to drop it too far inside on the way down, which creates real big sweeping, and sometimes duck, hooks.

try to keep the club more vertical on the backswing, and further away from your body on the downswing, almost like you are coming over the top of it.

i have the same problem with a flat backswing and it leads to gross, gross hooks.

the above little drill helps, try it on the range next time you play.

touchfaith
07-21-2005, 02:51 PM
Killer report dude, glad you're having a great time.

I don't have many suggestions for the city, kinda been there done that too many times and all my thoughts are too touristy...

I would however make a point to cruise over to Harding Park and the Olympic Club to take those in and pickup yardage books (I collect them from nice courses I visit).

The city is great for dinner, but you may also want to conside a venture across the bridge to Sasulito for some nighttime grub. If you get a good seat, the views of SF are fairly awesome from over there, especially if the fog is light (fat chance on that though right now)...

Maybe a trip to North Beech and hit a comedy show too. Chicks are a plenty there most nights...

Have fun on the rest of your trip

youtalkfunny
07-22-2005, 05:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Awesome pics! I WILL play Pebble some day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was stationed in Monterey. The golfers in my unit were quite excited. "We're going to play Pebble!"

Then, reality set in--$300 for a round at Pebble, or $6 for a round at Fort Ord. None of them made it to Pebble.

BTW, a lot of people don't know it, but Pebble has a 9-hole par-3 course, that the public can play for about $7. I don't golf, and it's not on the water, but I hear that it's sweet as hell.

ChipWrecked
07-22-2005, 07:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Killer report dude, glad you're having a great time.

I don't have many suggestions for the city, kinda been there done that too many times and all my thoughts are too touristy...

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that means eating at Bubba Gump Shrimp Company would be out.

B Dids
07-22-2005, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The area where the sushi chefs made the sushi was something of an island, where the outer ring was a conveyer belt that carried the nwly made sushi rolls. You could take any of the plates and add them to your dinner, and the pricing was based on the color/design of the plate that held your newly acquired sushi. I've been to some sushi places before in Atlanta and had never seend this, so I thought this concept was cool as hell.

This is the way a true sushi bar is set up, i.e. the way they do it in Japan.

[/ QUOTE ]

SUSHIPARADE!!!