PDA

View Full Version : The Wire

BottlesOf
07-20-2005, 11:43 PM
After now having watched 1.5 seasons of this, I'm convinced that this is the best show on television. When is season 3 coming out? It also has one of the best theme songs on TV. Damn, I love this show...

IronDragon1
07-20-2005, 11:46 PM
Yet another reason why an HBO subscription is the best entertainment/dollar value you can get

IndieMatty
07-20-2005, 11:48 PM
Is it that good? We seem to like the same TV, Its the only HBO show I have never watched, i'll give it a shot.

BottlesOf
07-20-2005, 11:50 PM
You need to start with season 1 and at the begining. Netflix it or whatever b/c it's not on demand currently. You need to pay attention when you watch it, not play poker while you do, b/c it's complex, and they talk about police work/union stuff/local politics very matter of factly, and if you're not familiar with that stuff, it's sometimes tough to follow. However, I think it's superbly written.

If I can get just one ootiot into this show, I will really have succeeded /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[censored]
07-20-2005, 11:52 PM
good post Johnny BB

Rushmore
07-20-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yet another reason why an HBO subscription is the best entertainment/dollar value you can get

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the other main reasons being, of course, Curb Your Enthusiasm, which has more laughs per hour than almost any show I've ever seen.

dtbog
07-21-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Curb Your Enthusiasm, which has more laughs per hour than almost any show I've ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

fsuplayer
07-21-2005, 12:18 AM
when does the new season start?

Rushmore
07-21-2005, 01:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
when does the new season start?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know, but I DO know this:

I was really skeptical of this show, and had never seen it, never thinking HBO was even remotely worth getting.

But now that they have the OnDemand, I got the whole package, as it's just too damned good to pass up (particularly for movies).

So I watched ten episodes from season two, all in one afternoon. GodDAMN, that sh*t was funny. Really good stuff.

mikeymer
07-21-2005, 01:30 AM
New season starts in January....

www.hbo.com/thewire/ (http://www.hbo.com/thewire/)

scrub
07-21-2005, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You need to start with season 1 and at the begining. Netflix it or whatever b/c it's not on demand currently. You need to pay attention when you watch it, not play poker while you do, b/c it's complex, and they talk about police work/union stuff/local politics very matter of factly, and if you're not familiar with that stuff, it's sometimes tough to follow. However, I think it's superbly written.

If I can get just one ootiot into this show, I will really have succeeded /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

When Scrubette and I watched it a few months ago, I evangelized it to everyone I knew--my parents got hooked on it.

The toughest thing about the show is resisting the urge to say "It's all in the game, yo" as a reply to just about everything.

scrub

Maulik
07-21-2005, 01:36 AM
keep on talking that [censored] and I'll leave yo' a$$ in Baltimore. wow the Boost dealer who said that had my house mates on the floor when he said that to the girl....

show is also deep, not as much so as OP suggests, but well written and it seems that way since there are no commercials. you get what you pay for

drexah
07-21-2005, 02:51 AM
the wire/the sopranos/six feet under/entourage/curb your enthusiasm/da ali g show/Oz/def poetry/Arli$$, HELL EVEN PROJECT GREENLIGHT WAS SICK. seriously, HBO blows every other network COMPLETELY out of the water, i dont even know which one of these shows is my favorite, they all are, however i have followed six feet under since season one. not to mention HBO's sports shows, boxing, and movies, its absolutely ridiculous. The wire is a great show but i never really got into it as i did with sopranos and six feet under, it is very complex and you cant really miss episodes.

DeezNuts
07-21-2005, 03:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
After now having watched 1.5 seasons of this, I'm convinced that this is the best show on television. When is season 3 coming out? It also has one of the best theme songs on TV. Damn, I love this show...

[/ QUOTE ]

Along with Seasons 1 and 2 of the Sopranos, the first two seasons of the Wire are the best television that I have ever seen(Wire may even be a hair BETTER than Sopranos, it's that good). Not really a fan of the 'forced drama' that seems to permeate shows like 24, Alias, Lost, etc(network programming). Eagerly awaiting season 3 to come out on DVD.

DN

-Skeme-
07-21-2005, 03:23 AM
Oz was the last show I was hooked on. I miss HBO, I'll have to get it again soon.

xadrez
07-21-2005, 08:59 AM
Season 3 is over, but hasnt been released on DVD.

Agree wholeheartedly that The Wire is the sh1t.

B Dids
07-25-2005, 10:53 AM
I just watched all three seasons (2 and 3 are torrentable in like a day) in about a month. I think this is pretty easily the best show on TV.

The endings to the last two seasons had my eyes a little wet. They just do a wonderful job of building up characters.

I'm also a huge Homicide/David Simon fan, so this is just right up my catagory.