PDA

View Full Version : rotating dealers

joecash
07-20-2005, 10:57 PM
why do dealers rotate from table to table instead of staying at one table for a couple hours? is this to keep the players from requesting dealer changes?

Bremen
07-20-2005, 11:01 PM
Would you want to deal 1-3 stud all night? Be lucky to get $10 in tips an hour.

boscoboy
07-20-2005, 11:19 PM
helps prevent dealer player collusion

joecash
07-21-2005, 02:07 AM
I thought of collusion too.

I hate it becasue it wastes too much time having the new dealer setting up so often.

The Goober
07-21-2005, 04:37 AM
I think they do it b/c its important that the dealers get enough breaks, or its inveitable that someone's going to [censored] up something. By rotating the dealers, they get a short break after each down, and a periodic one down break.

Bulldog
07-21-2005, 08:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
By rotating the dealers, they get a short break after each down

[/ QUOTE ]

In the 15-second walk from table 18 to table 22?

The correct answer is to prevent collusion, and as a bonus, to prevent requests for dealer changes.

IceKing
07-21-2005, 09:47 AM
The correct answer is the breaks. This way dealers stay sharper, and they dont get bored so easily. Dealing some tightass-passive-foldem many hours would be very frustrating.

belloc
07-21-2005, 11:51 AM
This can't be the correct answer, or at least the one that will satisfy the OP. Dealers will often be pushed through several low limit holdem tables in a row before they have a break. The OP is asking why they can't just stay at one table for their whole three-hour shift instead of dealing three tables for an hour each. He complains that each dealer change costs a couple of hands of playing time.

W. Deranged
07-21-2005, 11:59 AM
The formal answer I think is the collusion one.

I think there's also a marketing component. Lots of players think that who is dealing has a lot to do with what kinds of cards they get. Rotating the dealers keeps them playing and interested. Think of it like slot-machine reels.

RacersEdge
07-21-2005, 12:20 PM
I think it's an operational thing. It's not like a construction crew where 10 people can take a break at the same time. Dealers can only take breaks one or two at a time, so certain tables will be labeled break tables meaning the next thing you do after being pushed of that table is to take a 30 minute break. After the break is over, the dealer comes back into the rotation. So the dealing time at a table needs to be the same as the break time - usually 30 minutes.

dicelumpY2005
07-21-2005, 12:47 PM
I would venture to say collusion is the main reason. Another factor: it gives the dealers a crack at all the tables, thus an equal opportunity to make the same amount in tokes. Think it would be fair for the same dealer to be on the 5-10nl game for hours at a time vs a dealer stuck on 2-4 limit? Has nothing to do with the breaks, as suggested above... Like someone mentioned, the walk from table 5 to table 8 isn't exactly a break...

RacersEdge
07-21-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would venture to say collusion is the main reason. Another factor: it gives the dealers a crack at all the tables, thus an equal opportunity to make the same amount in tokes. Think it would be fair for the same dealer to be on the 5-10nl game for hours at a time vs a dealer stuck on 2-4 limit? Has nothing to do with the breaks, as suggested above... Like someone mentioned, the walk from table 5 to table 8 isn't exactly a break...

[/ QUOTE ]

But I say that even if you knew there was no collusion and all the games in a card room were the exact same game, you would still need one destination for the dealers to be a break room. The time moving between tables is not much of a break. But a rotation of 4-5-6-7-8-Break-9-10, etc makes sense - and since the break is 30 minutes, the dealer downs are 30 minutes.

Bulldog
07-21-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But I say that even if you knew there was no collusion and all the games in a card room were the exact same game, you would still need one destination for the dealers to be a break room. The time moving between tables is not much of a break. But a rotation of 4-5-6-7-8-Break-9-10, etc makes sense - and since the break is 30 minutes, the dealer downs are 30 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wouldn't be hard to make a schedule without a "break table" that would still provide breaks of x length every y time.

AngusThermopyle
07-21-2005, 02:34 PM
Try sitting for two hours, never able to stand up for a half minute. Never able to go to the bathroom or grab a quick drink of water.
One player has his own personal grudge against you for some reason. You deal another player a "bad beat" and he starts complaining. And then another player. And you have an hour and 45 minutes left on this table with this wonderful crew.

Plus, 2 hr downs are hard to work with when tables are opening and closing at odd times. And it means the dealer only deals 3 tables. A stud, an Omaha8, and a Big Limit? 2 hour lunch.

And if the dealers know what they are doing, you miss at most one hand during the push.

cgwahl
07-21-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
By rotating the dealers, they get a short break after each down

[/ QUOTE ]

In the 15-second walk from table 18 to table 22?

The correct answer is to prevent collusion, and as a bonus, to prevent requests for dealer changes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know...I work in tech support and I find the occasional 30 second walk from cubical A to cubical B to be refreshing.

IceKing
07-21-2005, 09:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Try sitting for two hours, never able to stand up for a half minute. Never able to go to the bathroom or grab a quick drink of water.
One player has his own personal grudge against you for some reason. You deal another player a "bad beat" and he starts complaining. And then another player. And you have an hour and 45 minutes left on this table with this wonderful crew.

Plus, 2 hr downs are hard to work with when tables are opening and closing at odd times. And it means the dealer only deals 3 tables. A stud, an Omaha8, and a Big Limit? 2 hour lunch.

And if the dealers know what they are doing, you miss at most one hand during the push.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct answer in my opinion. And if tips arent pooled, then tips are one important factor too.