PDA

View Full Version : Dealer's mistake, did I handle it right?

boudge7
07-20-2005, 10:46 PM
At the MGM playing $3-6 I'm holding AK UTG and raise. Two callers, one of which a very solid player that I could tell played often in the BB. She played very fast, and was good with the chips. Anyway, the flop is A 7 4 rainbow, and I bet at it. Next to act mucks and this is where it gets a little strange. The dealer drops the deck in the muck and starts to move the chips in my direction when the girl says that she still has cards. She wants the floor. Here are the options he gives: 1. Chop the pot or 2. Reshuffle all mucked cards and play the hand out if she wants to call the bet. I don't want to chop as I was fairly confident my AK was good. She is pissed that I don't want to chop, and reluctantly calls the bet.

Result: Turn is a queen I bet she folds. I show my cards and the people sitting around me say I did the right thing, but I felt a little wierd afterwards.

Recliner
07-20-2005, 10:50 PM
I think it was fine because she's pissed she's going to lose the pot.

Chipr777
07-21-2005, 12:29 AM
In 3-6 I think it was - EV. The extra couple bucks you made on that pot could drive away the fish and tighten up the table. Anything you can do at a "fun" low limit table to keep it fun and loose is +EV.

bernie
07-21-2005, 03:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
one of which a very solid player that I could tell played often in the BB. She played very fast, and was good with the chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Play more. You'll find this observation is very wrong if it's what you base the signs of a solid player on.

b

CaptSensible
07-21-2005, 07:27 AM
For me it depends on the mood at the table. If it's light hearted I might chop, show her my cards and tell her she owes me. If it's a serious mood at the table I'd do what you did. Either way I think your decision was fine. If she's pissed that's her problem. This is poker with real money.

boudge7
07-21-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
one of which a very solid player that I could tell played often in the BB. She played very fast, and was good with the chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Play more. You'll find this observation is very wrong if it's what you base the signs of a solid player on.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Busted, I just turned 21, and it was my 1st time in a B&M.

CrashPat
07-21-2005, 07:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For me it depends on the mood at the table. If it's light hearted I might chop, show her my cards and tell her she owes me. If it's a serious mood at the table I'd do what you did. Either way I think your decision was fine. If she's pissed that's her problem. This is poker with real money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hold on a second, did you just put "serious mood" in the same context as 3/6? The best part about 3/6 is that I've never sat in a game that anybody was serious, usually the players are having a grand time.

to the OP: I've seen 2 things happen in this case, if the deck is mixed into the muck then I usually see the pot chopped. If the top of the stub is retrievable then it is and the hand is played. I have never seen it reshuffled and played out.

If it were me I would have chopped the pot and moved to the next hand.

captswifty
07-21-2005, 09:10 PM
I don't think the floor made the right decision. Shuffle the deck stub and the muck together? That should never happen. If the deck stub was identifiable in the muck, which it should have been because most dealers put it right on top, play should have continued with that. The only other option that I see as valid is award you the pot or chop it. I don't think that the deck should ever be mixed in with the mucked cards.

I looked through Robert's Rules, but I couldn't find anything on this. Anyone have a better understanding of what should happen?

Chipr777
07-22-2005, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think the floor made the right decision. Shuffle the deck stub and the muck together? That should never happen. If the deck stub was identifiable in the muck, which it should have been because most dealers put it right on top, play should have continued with that. The only other option that I see as valid is award you the pot or chop it. I don't think that the deck should ever be mixed in with the mucked cards.

[/ QUOTE ]
If the stub and the muck can't be identified the cards can be shuffled together and the hand continue. It's always best to identify the stub but in a situation where this can't happen there are 2 options. Chop the pot or shuffle the stub and muck. There was no flaw in the floors ruling.

slickpoppa
07-22-2005, 11:36 AM
You should have stood up and urinated on the table. You kids will never learn.

autobet
07-22-2005, 12:20 PM
You handled it correctly IMO.

J053
07-22-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At the MGM playing $3-6 I'm holding AK UTG and raise. Two callers, one of which a very solid player that I could tell played often in the BB. She played very fast, and was good with the chips. Anyway, the flop is A 7 4 rainbow, and I bet at it. Next to act mucks and this is where it gets a little strange. The dealer drops the deck in the muck and starts to move the chips in my direction when the girl says that she still has cards. She wants the floor. Here are the options he gives: 1. Chop the pot or 2. Reshuffle all mucked cards and play the hand out if she wants to call the bet. I don't want to chop as I was fairly confident my AK was good. She is pissed that I don't want to chop, and reluctantly calls the bet.

Result: Turn is a queen I bet she folds. I show my cards and the people sitting around me say I did the right thing, but I felt a little wierd afterwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a dealer and in my opinion you handled it just right. I deal a lot of 3/6 and even though it is a loose game, your still entitled to the pot. I dont think it's poor etiquette or ruins the atmosphere of the game. I think most players, even at 3/6, would do the same. at least from my experiences dealing.

in regards to the other posts re: shuffling the muck and stub vs. chopping, I"ve had floor supervisors do both - chop the pot or shuffle the muck/stub. I personally am in favor of reshuffling, I dont think the player who is winning the hand should be forced to chop.

TomBrooks
07-23-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont think the player who is winning the hand should be forced to chop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Neither do I. If I had good hand in that situation, I would want to keep it light... no need to get upset, but I would not want to chop the pot. If I had a weak hand, sure I'd accept a chopped pot. I wouldn't make a big deal about that either though.

EStreet20
07-23-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hold on a second, did you just put "serious mood" in the same context as 3/6? The best part about 3/6 is that I've never sat in a game that anybody was serious, usually the players are having a grand time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Guess you've never been to the Borgata. I've played 3/6 games ther where no one even says a word. To the OP, nothing wrong with what you did IMO, however if it was my first orbit or two around the table I might chop and show to make people there think I'm a pal.

Good luck,
Matt

radek2166
07-24-2005, 01:21 AM
I will say shes a dealer. Wanted the easy way out and she was going to fold.

U did the right thing!