PDA

View Full Version : Stop and Go OK here? 10/20 TT in the SB.

beset7
07-20-2005, 10:01 PM
Live 10/20.

UTG+1 (a super-fish who likes to bluff raise the turn and river constantly and is a big loser in this game though when he does have a big hand he is able to trap because of his ueber-loose image) limps to the button (a somewhat tricky player who is reasonably tight but tends to go passive on the turn and river) who raises. I 3-bet from the SB with black TT to get the BB out who scares me.

Flop comes T 3 8 rainbow. I bet, UTG+1 calls, Button Raises, I call and UTG+1 Calls.

Turn is a blanks (4 I believe). I bet.

mantasm
07-20-2005, 10:25 PM
Sure, keep UTG in.

Piiop
07-20-2005, 11:13 PM
This is good.

Is this "to get the BB out who scares me." actually why you 3bet preflop?

beset7
07-20-2005, 11:17 PM
Well, in this particular game where most of the players suck postflop I might err toward just calling the button raise because I don't want to show much strength and then value bet the crap out of him if later streets are cooperative. The BB, however, has played a lot with me and I need to take the lead or else he'll put me to hard decisions later so I 3-bet. Is this an auto 3-bet pf for all of you?

Piiop
07-20-2005, 11:25 PM
Yes, this is a pretty automatic 3bet regardless of the player in the BB. Given that UTG+1 is a super-fish and you described the button as reasonably tight and somewhat tricky, it's likely that he'll be raising here to isolate UTG+1 with a pretty wide range of hands. It's likely you have the best hand and gain the value from the 3bet as well as somewhat negate your positional disadvantage. If you don't 3-bet now, you may cause yourself to misplay your hand when there are overcards on the board (which there frequently will be). In this case, with the BB being a tough, tricky player, just calling the raise would invite him into the pot which you don't want so that's another good reason to 3-bet.

I only asked because forcing out the BB is a fine reason to 3-bet, but it shouldn't be your only reason.

Brunger
07-20-2005, 11:28 PM
I like it fine. Will the button raise the turn with QQ?

beset7
07-20-2005, 11:44 PM
Thanks a lot for taking the time to point this out to me. I've been suspecting lately that some FPS and slipped into my preflop play in b&m games where I sometimes am making the right play for overly-complicated reasons when I should just be b/r'ing for value and then taking the other concerns as just sugar.

As for the question about the overpair, that was my hope. Unfortunately when I bet the turn the button let out a heavy sigh. UTG and button called me down and button showed down bottom set. I was amazed that he slowed down when he did and made a mental note to mix it up with him (which I thought I was doing) as he obviously has gotten some strong reads on me.

Emperor
07-21-2005, 12:02 AM
Too Bad the superfish didn't bluff raise the turn or river...