PDA

View Full Version : Seeding the pot

propaganda
07-20-2005, 08:04 PM
What do you guys think about calling a bet on a hand you are going to fold to make proper odds for a short stack to continue a draw?

Blinds 25/50

BB bets according to the odds he wants to get, button is a conservative player who bets when he has a hand.

SB $2000 (Ad4d)
BB $1000
CO $3000
Button $4000

CO folds, button raises preflop to $150, SB calls, BB calls.
Flop comes Ks 3s 7h.
SB checks, BB bets $50 (you put him on the nut flush draw), button raises to $800. Pot is now $1300, if SB folds the BB will be getting 1.6 to 1. If SB calls, BB will be getting the proper odds to call all-in. There is about a 65% chance that the BB will miss his draw and bust out, putting the SB in the money.

Assuming that the BB is indeed on the nut flush draw, do you think this is a +EV play on the part of the SB to call?

--propaganda

tigerite
07-20-2005, 08:10 PM
It hurt my brain to think about, but no. I don't. You have no idea if he's on the draw or not, and also you're just donating $800 to the pot. Seems ludicrous to me.

MagnoliasFM
07-20-2005, 08:13 PM
clear clear no

curtains
07-20-2005, 08:15 PM
Most insane thing I've ever heard to be honest. It's a funny idea but unfortunately should be completely useless.

This reminds me of a very unimportant concept that I use sometimes but I'm sure its hardly valuable at all. Basically when its 4 handed and the cutoff/button limps, and I have a hand in the SB where I feel like calling a half a bet is correct based on my hand value and overall situation, I sometimes fold if it's close. The reason for this is that I feel like headsup play somehow creates more chaos and a greater chance for someone to bust. (ie someone may play 2nd pair much stronger against 1 opponent than 2.)

Anyway please realize that the above is something I only do if the decision between calling/folding in the SB is very close.

I just think it's funny all of the random and basically meaningless concepts people try to figure out, my above one included. Bascially everyone should be an absolute expert on pushing and folding and learn to play that part of the game with nearly 100% accuracy. Unfortunately based on the posts here, not everyone does that and until they do they should probably work on that and not worry about random exotic plays that have little to no bearing on your results.

SammyKid11
07-20-2005, 08:15 PM
WHAT?????

Look, your reads aren't that incredible. You can't purposefully throw away chips because you THINK someone's on a flush draw and you THINK that he's a sophisticated enough player to call IF he's getting large enough pot odds and then you can HOPE that he won't make his draw, leaving you ITM.

Sorry, but this seems like fairly ridiculous SnG strategy to me. Way too much guesswork to give away your chips. This isn't the final table of the WSOP...this is an online SnG. This level of "sophistication" (underneath the 109's and 215's, which you don't specify but which I hope you're not playing) is simply not necessary or +EV.

bmxreed36
07-20-2005, 08:17 PM
35% of the time (IF THE BB CALLS) he will triple up and you will be left with a thousand, he may call with improper odds anyway, how can you be so sure that he has the nut flush draw that you will donate half your stack?, much better situations will come up if you just fold, this is stupid, etc, etc....

propaganda
07-20-2005, 08:36 PM
Hey all, I'm fairly new to the game and this thought occured to me. It was an idea, most likely a very, VERY, bad one, which even if it did work, is impractical. I suppose that after a few hundred more posts, I'll look back at this and laugh my @$$ off. /images/graemlins/grin.gif
--propaganda

nate_king1
07-20-2005, 08:53 PM
umm, check the flop with the draw. Anyways betting 50 into a 300 pot is too obiovious anyways. Flod.

I think it would be more profitable in the long run( $EV cEV) to push all-in on the flop. What do you guys think. If he has any other hand than AK, AA, KQ, he might flod.