PDA

View Full Version : Relative profitability of stud?

Subfallen
07-20-2005, 07:26 PM
Scanning the first 5-10 pages of this forum, I don't see any of the familiar 2+2 big winners---Schneids, Nate Tha' Great, bicyclekick, etc. This makes me assume stud has less profit potential in today's environment than Hold 'Em, so why are you guys playing it? Am I missing something?

Andy B
07-20-2005, 07:58 PM
bicyclekick is a monkey. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think there are a few players on this forum who have done OK, although I guess Emery makes most of his money playing hold'em these days.

Stud is fun.

I don't really track my results anymore, but when I was, I was making about $20/hr playing $6/12 stud and about $20/hr playing $15/30 HE. What do you think is the better game for me?

Bremen
07-20-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see any of the familiar 2+2 big winners

[/ QUOTE ]
If you started off in this forum you'd say you don't see any of the big stud players in the hold'em forums :0) That said, I think many players don't want to take the time to learn another game. Especially when they've already devoted literally years to learning one game. Why take up a second when you'd have to drop down significantly in limits or risk taking a pretty big hit at your normal limits?

That said I did see gigabet at one of my 10/20 stud8 tables. He was just blowing steam though (I believe).

BeerMoney
07-20-2005, 09:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That said, I think many players don't want to take the time to learn another game. Especially when they've already devoted literally years to learning one game. Why take up a second when you'd have to drop down significantly in limits or risk taking a pretty big hit at your normal limits?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bremen, this is a reason I see to learn other games. I swear, all of the money I've made playing poker has come playing the megafish. Because of my willingness to play other games and move to different limits, I am able to follow these special creatures around.

I really think hold 'ems the place to be right now. In the past couple of weeks I've noticed some really tough 10/20 stud tables on party. I really think its possible the # of fish is actually dwindling in these games right now. Although, I do think it is somewhat dynamic.. And I also think the big pots and high variance will keep fish coming back.

BEER$$

Bremen
07-20-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I swear, all of the money I've made playing poker has come playing the megafish.

[/ QUOTE ]
So true. The entire reason I'm even in this forum is because I sat in a 2/4 O8 game at the Taj. Found out the players aren't any better higher up, took up stud8 from playing the 10/20 split game there (after they gave me some costly lessons in stud8).

Subfallen
07-22-2005, 12:33 AM
Interesting, guys, thanks for the thoughts.

MikeTexas
07-22-2005, 03:27 AM
Just a question for the experienced players here but arent small stakes stud games fairly profitable?

I just bought several 7CS books because I've been playing holdem so much that I feel I need some other form of poker to keep my interest. It seems to me that most small stakes studs games are incredibly loose. Doesnt that translate into fairly good profits for you guys?

mscags
07-22-2005, 03:32 AM
Yeah, most small stakes stud games are very profitbable. I think one of the problems comes in when multitabling is attempted. Yes it can be done and you can still achieve a good rate, but the fact is that playing 4tables of stud is a lot harder to do than playing 4 holdem tables.

lane mcbride
07-22-2005, 04:07 AM
I make more per hand playing stud, but I can't play as many hands (because multi-tabling is harder) I usually play four tables of hold em and 2 stud tables. I think stud is inherently more profitable per hand than hold em though. you have more information about your hand, more betting rounds, and expert play (such as reraising with a second best hand to isolate a better hand) often win you bigger and more frequent pots than the same play in holdem.

beta1607
07-22-2005, 08:27 AM
I want to second what beermoney said, last night I was playing 5/10 6 max 5/10 full and a 5/10 stud game because they were good.

Its also important to point out that guys like bycicle kick play 100/200 hold'em where games that high are not available for stud online.

jon_1van
07-22-2005, 09:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
100/200 hold'em where games that high are not available for stud online.

[/ QUOTE ]

They have uber high limit at UB

lstream
07-22-2005, 10:11 AM
This is probably sacreligous, but making money is not my only reason for playing poker. I enjoy the analysis and thinking that is needed to play the game. I find that stud is richer in this regard. With the extra betting round, and everyone having their own hand, there are many more possibilities to consider when deciding what to do.

Now I would not likely enjoy/play the game if I could not win at it, but now I have a hobby that I really enjoy, combined with being able to make pretty respectable cash. I also think the hobby has legs - it will likely take me years to develop my skills enough so that I can play at the same level as several of the top players here. Also, I play to take my mind off my work that is inherently high stress - it works wonders.

If I was doing this purely for the cash, I would likely be a holdem guy by now.

Hamlet
07-22-2005, 12:12 PM
If I was doing this purely for the cash, I'd get a job at Taco Bell /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
If I was doing this purely for the cash, I would likely be a holdem guy by now.

[/ QUOTE ]

jon_1van
07-22-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I was doing this purely for the cash, I'd get a job at Taco Bell

[/ QUOTE ]

Work on your game /images/graemlins/tongue.gif