PDA

View Full Version : Failed HT

Robb
07-20-2005, 06:11 PM
PP 30/60: 10 handed

Folded around to CO who raises. CO is an average player, straight forwardish. Only I call in the BB with 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif

Flop: Q /images/graemlins/spade.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 5 /images/graemlins/club.gif and I check-raise.

Turn: 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and I check-raise.

River: A /images/graemlins/club.gif and I check-rrrr ... ah son of a mother checked behind. And CO skates away with a pair of Jacks. Was I too greedy on the river? Too dumb?

Anybody like a preflop 3 bet?

Edit: I edited title - it would bring the nits out of the woodwork - I guess I'm one of them!

ike
07-20-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bonus points for deciphering the title - must be specific.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it contains three spelling errors plus one grammatical one. Or I guess two and two depending how you count your vs you're. Is that what you were looking for?

As for the hand, I prefer a preflop 3bet but its close. Flop checkraise is good. Turn checkraise seems very unlikely to work. River checkraise is just silly. You know if you just bet the turn he might raise and then you can 3bet, right?

SpaceAce
07-20-2005, 06:36 PM
A pre-flop three-bet depends on my opponent. What are his raising standards, here? Will he give me a lot of action with a second-best hand? Will he lay down anything better than 66 under any circumstances?

The title of the post sounds like your opponent bitching that you out-flopped him, accusing you of being a loose fish who plays weak hands looking for miracles.

SpaceAce

Robb
07-20-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well it contains three spelling errors plus one grammatical one.

[/ QUOTE ]
Close enough - the most common errors.

[ QUOTE ]
Turn checkraise seems very unlikely to work.

[/ QUOTE ]
Hmmm, but if he's got a hand like KJ he's not betting it anyway right? Will he call? Not usually.

Hands I'm missing out on with the turn check are AK/10-8 type hands - since those hands may call a bet but not bet.

Toss-up hands: 33/A5

Hands I think he'll bet: 88-JJ/Qx/AA/KK/bluffs. How often would you bet 88-JJ?

Plus when an opponent gets check-raised twice he/she may call down with little on the river out of spite (unless you don't bet the river like I did of course).

[ QUOTE ]
You know if you just bet the turn he might raise and then you can 3bet, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's not very likely though.

ike
07-20-2005, 08:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All the hands you list as willing to bet if checked to will raise fairly often here unless your opponent is super passive.

oreogod
07-20-2005, 08:20 PM
after you checkraise the flop...bet/3-bet the turn. Going for multiple CRs is silly.

DcifrThs
07-20-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

All the hands you list as willing to bet if checked to will raise fairly often here unless your opponent is super passive.

[/ QUOTE ]

more precisely, it is very often the case that hands that a villian will bet AND call a c'r with are the very same hands that will raise and call your 3 bet.

therefore in many cases where acheckraise is successful, it is sometimes costly.

Barron

Robb
07-20-2005, 09:19 PM
No way...first off a good portion of all average players always re-raise the flop with their top pair hands (Qx/KK/AA). Secondly, there aren't many players, let alone average players, who will pop the turn with 88-JJ. Thirdly, if they do they're doing it to protect their hand and checking behind on the river. Therefore, a lot of them would fold the turn to a 3-bet.

That being said I like a bet here too usually. But turn cr isn't that far behind as it looks like I have a lone 6 or 5 when I check the turn. Seeing your opponent bet is not "very unlikely" -- at least imo.

Robb
07-20-2005, 09:21 PM
I'm open to that - but you must state why.

Robb
07-20-2005, 09:34 PM
Quotes not working for some reason.

You wrote: A pre-flop three-bet depends on my opponent. What are his raising standards, here?
Me: 88 and up/Q10o and up/J9s and up I think.

You: Will he give me a lot of action with a second-best hand?
Me: No

You: Will he lay down anything better than 66 under any circumstances?
Me: Sure if he has 88/J9s with an Ace-Queen-nine flop he's probably not calling the turn unimproved.

oreogod
07-21-2005, 04:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm open to that - but you must state why.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you are ahead and it nets you the most money OOP.