PDA

View Full Version : Tivo

PokerGoblin
07-20-2005, 05:42 PM
Does anyone here have a TIVO? Will it work without buying the service for 12.95 a month? Can you get one if you don't have a phone line in the house?

Thanks

PG

moondogg
07-20-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone here have a TIVO? Will it work without buying the service for 12.95 a month? Can you get one if you don't have a phone line in the house?

Thanks

PG

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you have to activate account (i.e. pay), and it has to dial in to download the initial schedule, account info, etc. Once it's setup it can syncronize over the internet, but I could not find any way to get it to do the initial setup without a phone line.

BTW, it's worth every damn dime.

GuyOnTilt
07-20-2005, 05:47 PM
Without the service charge you can't record anything, though the receiver would still work I guess. I currently run mine without a landline. You can run it off your router through a wireless adapter, but you have to have a landline to initially that set up I believe. Worked out great for me since the phone line was getting cancelled a couple days after I moved in. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

GoT

CollinEstes
07-20-2005, 05:49 PM
I have a tivo, but I have an old one. I gave my brother one for christmas and it is awesome. You don't have to have a phone line, you can connect it to your computer. (my brother uses a wireless router). I would reccommend paying the one time fee though of 200 for lifetime service. Yes it will work without the serivce, or you can use the monthly plan. But it sucks without the service because you can't use any of the best features.

If you connect it to the internet you can choose what you want it to record from any other computer with internet. So if you forget you can do it at work or something. It is worth it, plus if you get the service you get a nice rebate on the hardware.

PokerGoblin
07-20-2005, 05:56 PM
thanks for the replies.

I have liked the idea since my VCR took a crap, which was like a year ago.

I'll probably just get the lifetime service. Their website says you have to have a landline for initial setup even if you plan to use your broadband. I'll look into that.

PG

GuyOnTilt
07-20-2005, 06:07 PM
Just remembered this. If you have DirectTV, definitely get a model with dual inputs. If not, you might want to buy a cheaper model for now until TiVo comes out with their new CableCARD units, which will allow for dual input models. Makes a HUGE difference in the usability of the damn thing.

GoT

PokerGoblin
07-20-2005, 06:32 PM
I use digital cable from Comcast, which is essentially the same thing.

battschr
07-20-2005, 06:33 PM
Tivo is tits.

GuyOnTilt
07-20-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I use digital cable from Comcast, which is essentially the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it's not. You can't get dual tuner TiVo from Comcast. Actually, you might depending on what part of the country you live in. I guess they JUST started offering them in some major metro areas. But I guess they lack some features because Comcast made the box, not TiVo.

GoT

JPinAZ
07-20-2005, 06:49 PM
I believe there is a way to force it to do the initial setup over a network, but it's hit-or-miss as to whether it will work or not. Head over to www.tivocommunity.com (http://www.tivocommunity.com) & look around there. If it can be done they'll know.

Ringo_Mojo
07-20-2005, 11:49 PM
Before buying the lifetime service, check the fine print. When i got mine (one of the best purchases i've ever made) it said that the lifetime service was for the "lifetime of the unit" so if i get a new Tivo later I would have to pay for the service again. Since i share the cost of the service with my roomates and i expect to replace the unit in a couple years i opted to just pay it by the month.

But the service is a must, its like having a buddy stay home and record shows that he thinks you'll like to watch all the time.

joda mas
07-21-2005, 01:05 AM
i bought mine at bestbuy.com and the basic service was included for life. best money i ever spent.

battschr
07-21-2005, 01:09 AM
Tivo is one of those things where if you don't have it you don't always think you need it. But once you get it you don't know how you lived without it.

SuitedSixes
07-21-2005, 01:11 AM
I have Comcast, there was no equipment to buy, the per month is cheaper, and I didn't need a phone line.

I am able to record two things at once (while I watch a 3rd recorded program), which I understand is not the case with TiVO

Ulysses
07-21-2005, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks

PG

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read any other msgs in this thread, but Tivo RULES.

Ulysses
07-21-2005, 02:50 AM
PS: I just got some email recently where you can get the Tivo box for free if you buy a lifetime subscription. If you can't find this offer, PM me.

Richie Rich
07-25-2005, 03:58 AM
TiVo ranks up there with TVs, iPODs, and laptop computers.