PDA

View Full Version : Dress Sizes

Cancer Merchant
07-20-2005, 04:50 PM
Browsing through personals sites, I notice many women will post their dress size as an indicator of their body shape. What do these actually mean? I understand that 6 and below is small, but what is the cutoff?

What is a good description of the following ranges?

2-6
6-10
10-14
14-18
20+

jakethebake
07-20-2005, 04:52 PM
Why would they list that? Do they think men have any idea what it means? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-20-2005, 04:52 PM
Oooh... be careful. That's all I've got to say.

2planka
07-20-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oooh... be careful. That's all I've got to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. A real size 6 will tell you she's a 4. A real size 126 will tell you she's a 4.

Cancer Merchant
07-20-2005, 04:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why would they list that? Do they think men have any idea what it means? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, us guys don't have a frickin clue what it means. I'm just checking to see if this is common knowledge that I've missed out on in my life, or if it's just code like the several dozen synonyms for "fat" I see on a daily basis.

jakethebake
07-20-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, us guys don't have a frickin clue what it means.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe these are the crossdresser personals. Those are the only guys I can think of that might know anything about dress sizes.

Patrick del Poker Grande
07-20-2005, 04:58 PM
There is very little that is more asinine than the way women's clothing is sized. It blows my mind the way they try to fit so many crazy different shapes into so many different types of clothes and then try to parameterize them with so few numbers and so many vague words. It's no wonder why it's such hell clothes shopping with a woman.

This is demonstrated easily by the fact that I know two women who are size 0. One is 5'1", 95lb and the other is about 5'11", maybe 115lb. HOW THE [censored] DO THESE TWO WOMEN WEAR THE SAME DRESS SIZE?

bosoxfan
07-20-2005, 05:02 PM
I was watching pretty women with Julia Roberts the other day(yes I'm ready to take Big Steve's spot) and while buying a dress in the movie she says she's a size 6. So I guess I'm saying I have no idea either.

mslif
07-20-2005, 05:04 PM
What is a good description of the following ranges?

2-6 Skinny
6-10 Shapely
10-14 Needs to loose about 10-15 pounds
14-18 Fat
20+ Very fat

chaas4747
07-20-2005, 05:05 PM
Plus aren't there different levels that have the same sizes in them. My GF and I were at a store one day, and she was shopping in the "junior" section. I asked her if she could really wear kid’s cloths and she laughed at me. I guess it is a section on how you are shaped or something. I really have no idea.

moondogg
07-20-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Plus aren't there different levels that have the same sizes in them. My GF and I were at a store one day, and she was shopping in the "junior" section. I asked her if she could really wear kid’s cloths and she laughed at me. I guess it is a section on how you are shaped or something. I really have no idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the exact same conversation with my girl. She said she shops in the "junior" sizes, and assumed for years that she was wearing kid's clothes.

One day about a month ago, she explained the whole thing to me. I think it took about 30 minutes. I still don't understand the sizes at all, but I now forgot how to tie my shoes too.

stretch22
07-20-2005, 05:19 PM
generally,

32" hip = size 2
34" hip = size 4
36" hip = size 6
38" hip = size 8
40" hip = size 10
42" hip = size 12
etc.

usually pants/dresses run big to make people feel better though. supermodels have 34" hips. Don't forget to look at how tall they are, if it says, because that will make a big difference. There is a big difference between someone who's 5'10" and is a size 8 and someone who is 5'0". Yeah, julia roberts is a size six, charlise theron is a size 8. I can't even think of anyone who is a size 10 because that is too fat for hollywood. Plus size models start at size 10. The women you see on QVC are usually in the size 10-14 range. Or anyone in something like a lane bryant add is also in that range. Keep in mind these women are also 6'.

Cancer Merchant
07-20-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the exact same conversation with my girl. She said she shops in the "junior" sizes, and assumed for years that she was wearing kid's clothes.

One day about a month ago, she explained the whole thing to me. I think it took about 30 minutes. I still don't understand the sizes at all, but I now forgot how to tie my shoes too.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not alone on the "junior" confusion.

Of course, if this topic takes 30 minutes to explain to the average, intelligent guy, there's probably a reason few of us know it.

As to what generated this post, I see more than a few listings that have Height and Dress Size, typically 12-16 listed. From the responses above, this indicates the bigger figure.

stretch22
07-20-2005, 05:21 PM
I think this would only be true if she was like 5'6"

stretch22
07-20-2005, 05:24 PM
http://www.elitechicago.com/newsite/flash/base.php

if you go to the plus section that should give you a good idea of what certain sizes look like. note: these women are all tall

mslif
07-20-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this would only be true if she was like 5'6"

[/ QUOTE ]

Most women are between 5'4 an 5'7. Therefore I would think it applies for most women

stretch22
07-20-2005, 05:30 PM
alright you're right. I'm 5'11", and I looked at that thinking about my friend who is 6' and a size 12 and works out every day who no one would call fat. I have a skewed perspective.

MrTrik
07-20-2005, 05:31 PM
I once dated a size 10 woman who had the best body I've ever gotten that close to. I ended up marrying a size 4, she was petite but also had a decent body. I divorced her petite A$$. Eventually married a size 8 who is in great shape. So I think dress/jeans sizes for woman are completely independent of how they fill those clothes. And yes, I agree with the poster that says height matters when it comes to women's clothes sizes. And I'd add bone stucture.

Cancer Merchant
07-20-2005, 05:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.elitechicago.com/newsite/flash/base.php

if you go to the plus section that should give you a good idea of what certain sizes look like. note: these women are all tall

[/ QUOTE ]

There we go, this is what I was looking for. Up to 14 doesn't seem too bad on tall (5'10"-11") women. How does height factor in? Do shorter, but bigger women still qualify at the same size?

mslif
07-20-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
alright you're right. I'm 5'11", and I looked at that thinking about my friend who is 6' and a size 12 and works out every day who no one would call fat. I have a skewed perspective.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am 5'6 so I have the perpesctive of women around my height. A size 12 on 6' woman is not fat at all. A size 12 on me would be pretty big!

BoogerFace
07-20-2005, 05:44 PM
Dude,

It's just like shorts. A 40 inch waist isn't that bad for a guy who is over 6 feet tall. A guy under 5'6" with a 40 inch waist is a monster tubbo.

Zurvan
07-21-2005, 09:29 AM
Of course, this is all meaningless, because different stores/designers have different sizes.

Example: my fiance is size 6 for most things. Size 8 at a few of the stores in the mall that sell those skanky bar clothes. And size 10 for her wedding dress.

Women's clothes are f*cked.

Sheepscot
07-21-2005, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

even more confusing is that I found out that "junior" sizes are all odd numbers, while all ladies sizes are all even numbers. So if your gf tells you she wears a size 7, you'll wander around all day if you wind up in the wrong section /images/graemlins/confused.gif

jakethebake
07-21-2005, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
even more confusing is that I found out that "junior" sizes are all odd numbers, while all ladies sizes are all even numbers. So if your gf tells you she wears a size 7, you'll wander around all day if you wind up in the wrong section /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

why would i be buying her a dress at all?

Sheepscot
07-21-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the same way with shirts and pants. I've bought my gf a shirt before and it was confusing as hell.

Zurvan
07-21-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the same way with shirts and pants. I've bought my gf a shirt before and it was confusing as hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the solution to this. For her birthday/christmas/6 month anniversary/whatever tell her you want to take her shopping for clothes. Then, load up the flask, drive her to the mall, and drink yourself in to oblivion while she spends four hours deciding which red shirt she likes better. Pay. Go home & get laid.

This has the advantage of a) not having to think of a gift; b) not screwing up and buying clothes the wrong size; c) showing what a thoughtful wonderful blah blah blah boyfriend you are for taking her shopping without bitching.

gorie
07-21-2005, 01:02 PM
girls who find it necessary to list their dress sizes to attract guys are weird.

the smallest size i would ever fit into is a 9. i'd look pretty annorexic if i was ever smaller than that. i was a twig in 8th grade and that's what i wore back then. so i don't know what that means. i'm not even close to being that small anymore, either. boom ba ba boom ba ba boom. i'm doomed.

i hate shopping.

chaas4747
07-21-2005, 01:05 PM
I was doing laundry last night and this thread prompted me to look. The GF had a skirt that was a size 5 in the afore mentioned junior class.