PDA

View Full Version : Did anybody like WSOP coverage on ESPN?

Kashie
07-20-2005, 01:25 PM
I guess it's gonna be the same old crap , with stories about the final table players.
I think they should have tried something new instead of the old same stuff.
Just an opinion!

What did you think, I am interested in your opinion, Thanks

JackWhite
07-20-2005, 01:34 PM
I agree. In respect to Jennifer H, but they did a kidney story last year. I would have liked for something different about Jennifer in her story. Maybe a reference to high stakes cash games, or something of interest personally.

Kashie
07-20-2005, 03:17 PM
Yes the J Harman I think was a appropriate, but the other stuff just is bad coverage.

10-20Jerome
07-20-2005, 04:40 PM
What did you expect? I thought that was one of the best ones ever as far as actually play went. They were puting each other on hands over and over again. Good TV.

Cased Heel
07-20-2005, 04:43 PM
It blew. They're still not showing pot size. And they promote blowhard's like that fugly frenchman. (David Blaine wannabe).

Willy
07-20-2005, 04:45 PM
Loved it

swede0530
07-20-2005, 04:58 PM
I liked,

Jesus in the fridge

The Frenchman who looked like 'The Rock'

The 'Flushies'

Jennifer Harmon

An entertaining show.

detroitplayer
07-20-2005, 05:06 PM
I was disappointed because I thought they were going to be making some upgrades in the broadcast. From the looks of their new teaser graphics, I thought the broadcast would be getting a bit of a make-over, at least aesthetically.

Still seems like the same-ol' same-ol'...

Cased Heel
07-20-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I liked,

Jesus in the fridge

The Frenchman who looked like 'The Rock'

The 'Flushies'

Jennifer Harmon

An entertaining show.

[/ QUOTE ]

jesus in the fridge was dumb.

That guy looked nothing like the Rock. More like David Blaine hit by a truck.

Jennifer HarmAn was nice to see.

I don't know what the "Flushies" were but it sounds 9ay.

Colonel Kataffy
07-20-2005, 05:23 PM
I wish they'd have blind and pot sizes on screen at all time and some over head shots every now and then to get an easier feel for what position people are in.

Photoc
07-20-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They're still not showing pot size.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you missed the text in the upper left corner that said "POT SIZE" and had a number below it.

Kashie
07-20-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They're still not showing pot size.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you missed the text in the upper left corner that said "POT SIZE" and had a number below it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm I am watching it now I dont see the pot size!
I have a big screen too. lol

Joe_d72
07-20-2005, 06:32 PM
ESPN goes with the Players if you want just poker watch the WPT.

MonkeeMan
07-20-2005, 06:47 PM
They should always show blinds and pot size IMO.

JasonP530
07-20-2005, 06:52 PM
Also, they never tell you or show you where the raises and reraises are coming from. So the fact that someone goes all in with KJ when the button raises isnt so surprising, but they make it sound like so egregious play if the button happened to be raising with AJ.

illunious
07-20-2005, 07:24 PM
Jesus in the fridge was the stupidest thing I've ever seen on TV poker...

Someone please review this hand history

Hero has 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif

Something happened preflop

Flop 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif

Something happened on the flop

Turn 7/images/graemlins/club.gif

Someone bet, Hero ???

Correct answer in white:
<font color="white">CALL... obviously

Disregard the fact that you don't know what odds you're getting or what happened earlier in the hand or how many players are in the hand or how many chips you have. You're pretty sure you have position, though it's not clear. You've got a *pair*... you can't win if you fold.</font>

bcbaseball
07-20-2005, 07:38 PM
If you want aesthetic pleasing broadcast, go to blockbuster and rent an action movie. The poker was good. And by the way....Doug Lee was lucky. Jennifer Harman is too hot to take a bad beat.

James Lang
07-20-2005, 09:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you want aesthetic pleasing broadcast, go to blockbuster and rent an action movie. The poker was good. And by the way....Doug Lee was lucky. Jennifer Harman is too hot to take a bad beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Harman was lucky to catch that 3 outer in the hand before the last

MicroBob
07-20-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
who looked like 'The Rock'

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought the same thing.

detroitplayer
07-20-2005, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you want (an) aesthetic(ally) pleasing broadcast, go to blockbuster and rent an action movie. The poker was good. And by the way....Doug Lee was lucky. Jennifer Harman is too hot to take a bad beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll get right on that, kid toucher.

Ken_AA
07-20-2005, 10:37 PM
They wont ever show pot sizes and blinds because then it would give away how much they edit. you can't show 2 hands with this blinds, then 5 with this blind, and 3 with the next. Many viewers don't realize ANYTHING is edited out and this would give it away.

Also Jesus in the fridge was the absolute most creative thing you will see in a poker broadcast short or having dancing monkeys bring the money out when it gets heads up.

Ken

skierdude1000
07-21-2005, 12:44 AM
i hate wsop on espn in terms of poker coverage, its more like reality tv

yoadrians
07-21-2005, 12:57 AM
If you guys are waiting for Bob Costas or Al Michaels, you're going to be waiting a long time.

Both ESPN's coverage of the WSOP and Travel's coverage of the WPT is solid. Sexton is pretty good, Lohn McCarrein (sp?) is just fine, and Norman Chad is actually an acquired taste, I think.

Let's just be thankful those two networks have it going on and get more people interested in the game. Plus, the shows I record on the DVR make hanging out with my 10-month-old son, Max, in the mornings a little more fun.

I'm hoping his first words will be either, 'mom', 'dad', 'truck', or 'nut flush'. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cased Heel
07-21-2005, 10:20 AM
lol

Morpheus
07-21-2005, 10:41 AM
Flushies was good. My favorite was the "here is Phil Ivey when he loses a pot" ...... "here is Phil Ivey after he won a pot"

That was hilarious.

Morpheus
07-21-2005, 10:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I record on the DVR make hanging out with my 10-month-old son, Max, in the mornings a little more fun.

I'm hoping his first words will be either, 'mom', 'dad', 'truck', or 'nut flush'. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

See if you can get him to say "asset allocation" . I have no idea what it means but I think it was in a Anna Kournikova commercial for an investment firm.

eMarkM
07-21-2005, 11:13 AM
They always show pot size. What they don't show is bet size. They inconsistently tell you how much a player bets, so you often have no idea what kind of pot odds are being offered to the caller.

Cased Heel
07-21-2005, 11:53 AM
Let me guess...his expression was identical each time!?

That's not funny.

If that is as "creative" as ESPN gets, then they should just stop altogether. I just don't seem to think the obvious is funny. Maybe others do.

Needle77
07-21-2005, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

That's not funny.

If that is as "creative" as ESPN gets, then they should just stop altogether. I just don't seem to think the obvious is funny. Maybe others do.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be one of those anal people of this world. Funny is funny...and i thought that flushy was hilarious.

Cased Heel
07-21-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

That's not funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be one of those anal people of this world. Funny is funny...and i thought that flushy was hilarious.

[/ QUOTE ]

I may be anal but I'm one of the funniest motherf*ckers you'll ever meet. Ivey's expression isn't funny. If he was a losing player it would be very funny.

EDIT: Don't tell me you think that "WSOP casting" commercial is funny, too...

Quicksilvre
07-21-2005, 01:49 PM
It was okay--no masterpiece, but watchable. I do wish they wouyld have talked less about Jen H-T's kidney and more about her poker, and less about the French dude altogether, but it was tolerable.

slamdunkpro
07-22-2005, 03:25 AM
Biggest complaint - 1 hour show - 8 minutes of actual poker.

Timer
07-22-2005, 04:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Both ESPN's coverage of the WSOP and Travel's coverage of the WPT is solid. Sexton is pretty good, Lohn McCarrein (sp?) is just fine, and Norman Chad is actually an acquired taste, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I must be living on a distance planet, because we are obviously watching completely different programs. The WPT is unwatchable, and ESPNs programming is not too far behind.

Mike Sexton is just horrible. I mean the guy just makes my skin crawl. He over hypes everything. The way he tries to play up up every card on every street on every hand as the biggest event in poker history is just embarrassing. (As we say.)

I also hate the fake audience reactions (I know they're fake because I was at one of the filmings) the Shana Hyatt fluff pieces, and the overall we're trying to be so slick and cool attitude of this boring show. It's over.

And don't even get me started about Norman Chad. The guy is just a complete dick. Is every thing that happens at the poker table a smart-ass reply? Not only that it's an unfunny smart-ass reply. Poker at this level needs to be treated with some respect. An occasional witty remark is fine, but every single thing that happens in the game is met with a line that just doesn't go anywhere or an incorrect analysis by this idiot. Let's be honest--Norman Chad doesn't have any idea what he's talking about. He couldn't do an in depth analysis of a hand if he had a script, and he's just trying to fill some dead air with a half-baked page of one liners some wanna be sports announcing hack placed in front of him. Vince Van Patten is better than this guy--by a long ways.

ESPN is just clueless. Those ridiculous adds. The unfunny, and uninteresting time killing insert pieces like The Nuts and Blind Mans Bluff, etc. Who's in charge of those numbnuts over there? Santa Claus?

I can't wait till NBC, ABC or CBS gets ahold of one of these major poker tournaments. That heads up thing on NBC with Gabe Kaplan had a few problems, but it was the best one of these televised tournaments I've seen yet.

And Chad's sidekick, that Lon guy, is actually a good broadcaster, but he just needs to buy a goddamn clue!

"AND MEN THE MASTER HAS FLOPPED A PAIR OF DUECES!!! HE HAS THE BEST HAND IN THIS FIVE WAY POT!!! (if he doesn't fold.)

Jesus, God give me a break.

These programs could really be groundbreaking, entertaining, and educational. They could set [i]the standard for televised poker tournaments for years to come, but no one seems to give a rats ass one way or the other. We'll put out what we think you want to see and that'll be that.

What's really scary is they actually think they're doing a great job.

And what's even scarier are the people who think these shows are really good.

Ond
07-22-2005, 04:55 AM
I kinda like Mike Sexton. He does go a little bit over the top with his excitement over every other hand they show, but it sounds like he is genuinely excited, so its easy to forgive.

Norman Chad on the other hand... I agree with everything you say. You can spot his smartass comments from 2 miles away and its very annoying.

Cased Heel
07-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Aside from the Mike Sexton SLAMMING, your post is 100% dead-on.

ESPN is losing all their street-cred. They've deteriorated into about 7 nightly recycled stories...

Terrell Owens (who give a F-ck about this loser?)
Michelle Wie
Shaq
Kobe/Phil Jackson
Red Sox
Yankees
Maurice Clarett (again, who give a F7ck about this loser?)

Kashie
07-22-2005, 10:45 AM
The problem, as well as others, you have pointed out, is the damn replays. They should have at least two days of coverage
a week , not just 2 hours of the same crap over and over.

We have been waiting to see the WSOP not the replay of the WSOP!

Trainwreck
07-22-2005, 01:33 PM
More content, less fluff is my defacto TV Poker coverage response.

They could do a whole 30 min show called: THE NUTS

&gt;TW&lt;

kev0ut
07-22-2005, 02:30 PM
Why isn't the show in HD? This is 2005, right?

Kashie
07-22-2005, 04:45 PM
It was supposed to be.
HD!

I dont know