PDA

View Full Version : Crosspost - Jennifer Harmon lays down AK four-handed

mlagoo
07-20-2005, 11:57 AM
I thought this was a situation which was very similar to a lot of SNG situations, so I thought I might bring it up here. Please bear with me/correct me if the details are wrong, as this is all from memory.

Four handed. I believe, at this point, Doug Lee UTG is chip leader with about 1.1m, Thaler OTB is 3rd in chips with about 550k, Harmon in SB is 4th in chips with about 250-300k, and Bellande in BB is 2nd in chips with 800-900k. Again, please correct me if details are wrong and I'll edit.

Doug Lee picks up A8o and opens for a raise to 36,000. Thaler, sensing a weak raise, reraises with 92o to I think 90,000. Harmon in the SB picks up AK, deliberates for a while, paces, and finally folds.

Payouts were something like $120k for 4th, $200k for 3rd, $350k for 2nd, $690k for first.

Does anyone make this fold here? Does anyone want to have a crack at explaining her reasoning? I thought it was a fairly interesting laydown, one that I certainly wouldn't have made (this is a push for me pretty much 99% of the time.. Thaler isn't a total rock by any means).

reecelights
07-20-2005, 12:05 PM
Just a guess...

With a raise and reraise in front of her and no hole card cam she has to assume a minimum of TT in front of her if not a higher PP. One of the two players (if there is a call) will be crippled or eliminated and she moves up and can pick a spot where she can initiate the aggression.

She probably also assumes there are only 2 Aces live as outs meaning if she pushes and is called has lost 2 cards to make a straight and only has 5 cards to make a pair. If she can isolate and is called she thinks she is at least a 55-45 dog.

schwza
07-20-2005, 12:15 PM
what are teh blinds/antes?

DangerGoodson
07-20-2005, 12:17 PM
I'd push in a heartbeat with her stack, but i'm a donk.

I think that she believed that she was racing (or worse) and that she is a better player than the other 3 and could find better spots.

mlagoo
07-20-2005, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what are teh blinds/antes?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure the raise was a standard 3xBB, so I'm guessing 6/12,000, I dunno, 1000 ante? Don't play many games w/ antes, so I don't know standard structure.

Again, all from memory, but they should suit as rough estimates.

morgan180
07-20-2005, 12:20 PM
i think she believed that she was up against one PP and/or that at least one of her aces was dead. She probably also knew she could outplay them later - which she did finishing second.

BTW - Jean Robert is a [censored]

ChrisV
07-20-2005, 12:21 PM
Firstly, I don't think this is very SNG-like. With an opening raise of $36,000, I take it the BB is 10,000, making Harman the short stack with 25-30 BB's. Bubble situations in SNGs typically have the short stack on, say, 5BB.

Harman would have had a few reasons for folding here. If she plays, it's for all her chips and it is most unlikely the reraiser will fold (he might in this instance, but normally wouldn't). I'm guessing Harman thought that she had a pretty big advantage over the field and enough breathing space not to stack off here, preferring to try to take the players on postflop. She was probably also going with a read on one of the raisers that turned out to be wrong.

mlagoo
07-20-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Firstly, I don't think this is very SNG-like. With an opening raise of $36,000, I take it the BB is 10,000, making Harman the short stack with 25-30 BB's. Bubble situations in SNGs typically have the short stack on, say, 5BB.

Harman would have had a few reasons for folding here. If she plays, it's for all her chips and it is most unlikely the reraiser will fold (he might in this instance, but normally wouldn't). I'm guessing Harman thought that she had a pretty big advantage over the field and enough breathing space not to stack off here, preferring to try to take the players on postflop. She was probably also going with a read on one of the raisers that turned out to be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that its more deep-stacked than the average SNG. I think I was talking more about the sort of four-handed, strong hand facing a raise and a reraise sort of situation. Now of course, as you said, having 25 BBs sort of changes things and gives you a little more breathing room than you would have in a typical SNG.

Anyway, thought it was interesting and would prompt some discussion. And thought the discussion might be a little more informative here than in the WPT forum.

07-20-2005, 12:36 PM
possiable also that she was not wanting to get involved in a big hand with bellende without a pp or a solid read. I cought part of it and he seemed to have wild betting patterns and play many hands. She seemed to set back more and let the other 2 beat each others brains out with garbage too, she seemed to play premium cards.

gisb0rne
07-20-2005, 12:41 PM
I would reraise all-in. I don't believe the assumption that the reraiser has a PP is correct at 4-handed. Unlike SNG's 4th place gets paid so losing all your chips in 4th is not quite the disaster it is in a SNG.

Moonsugar
07-20-2005, 12:57 PM
Who am I to question the reads of J Harman?

The Don
07-20-2005, 02:01 PM
No way she could know Thaler had 92... she probably thought she would bee involved in a coinflip versus 1010-QQ and didn't want to take it. I personally would have moved in given the overlay in the pot but Harman is real good and she probably thought there were better spots.

07-20-2005, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would reraise all-in. I don't believe the assumption that the reraiser has a PP is correct at 4-handed. Unlike SNG's 4th place gets paid so losing all your chips in 4th is not quite the disaster it is in a SNG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes that would of been a sound play, but the point is to win not settle for 4th ;-)

tech
07-20-2005, 02:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No way she could know Thaler had 92

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you missed the interview with her just before that, the one where she said "The best part of my game is my ability to read other players. I know when my opponent is raising with nothing." /images/graemlins/grin.gif

kuro
07-20-2005, 02:20 PM
She made it to headsup against Lee that was a fish (superstitious and minraised KK). I think she knew they were both weak in that hand but she didn't want to race a pocket pair and figured the guys were aggressive enough that they'd knock each other out.

Nottom
07-20-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No way she could know Thaler had 92

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you missed the interview with her just before that, the one where she said "The best part of my game is my ability to read other players. I know when my opponent is raising with nothing." /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually she said during the hand that she didn't think either of them had anything, which makes it even stranger that she didn't pull the trigger.