PDA

View Full Version : caffeine intake

turnipmonster
07-20-2005, 11:56 AM
I'm down to 2 cups of coffee (morning) and 2 double espressos (evening) a day. is this unhealthy? if so, how unhealthy?

jakethebake
07-20-2005, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm down to 2 cups of coffee (morning) and 2 double espressos (evening) a day. is this unhealthy? if so, how unhealthy?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Extremely. You should immediately increase your intake.

Los Feliz Slim
07-20-2005, 12:11 PM
If THAT'S unhealthy, I'm royally screwed.

CORed
07-20-2005, 12:11 PM
Caffiene is a vitamin. You are taking approximately the RDA.

BruinEric
07-20-2005, 12:13 PM
I'm sure you can find various medical advice about caffeine on the internet. My hunch is that you'd be better off taking those four servings at nighttime and cutting it in half.

I'm down to about 8 to 12 oz. brewed coffee in the morning, a diet cola at lunchtime, and usually 6 oz coffee blended w/chocolate milk or another diet cola in the late afternoon/early evening.

What used to happen in my prior job is they'd send us to these conferences at high-end hotels with really good coffee AND boring presentations = a perfect situation for a bender.

The big hit was our conference in Hawaii. A cup of Kona with breakfast, a cup of Kona at mid-morning break, a cup of Kona after lunch with dessert, a cup of Kona at afternoon break, a cup of Kona after dinner...yummy. I'd come home and have to spend the next couple months slowly reducing my intake.

Maulik
07-20-2005, 12:38 PM
www.webmd.com (http://www.webmd.com) is a good place to check

AEKDBet
07-20-2005, 06:52 PM
Coffee has a multitude of health benifits.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee#Benefits

Consuming > 800mg of caffeine / day is the threshold for very bad. The half life of caffeine is 4 hrs.... so coffee in late afternoon not good for sleep.

JMP300z
07-20-2005, 07:00 PM
There was a good article in men's health about caffiene. Basically its pretty good for you with lots of benefits, but too much of anything is bad.

-JP

Tron
07-20-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Coffee has a multitude of health benifits.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee#Benefits

Consuming > 800mg of caffeine / day is the threshold for very bad. The half life of caffeine is 4 hrs.... so coffee in late afternoon not good for sleep.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is irrelevant: I love Wikipedia. I always wind up clicking on some link in the middle of a sentence then going from page to page learning stuff that I never had the desire to. It's great.

miajag81
07-20-2005, 08:46 PM
2 double espressos every evening? How the hell do you ever sleep?

jason_t
07-20-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2 double espressos every evening? How the hell do you ever sleep?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a friend so addicted to coffee that he has to drink a cup before he goes to bed just to keep himself from not being able to sleep due to cravings in the middle of the night.

Spaded
07-20-2005, 08:50 PM
It's good for you? Damn, I don't drink coffee because it would be just a habit that costs big $$ in the long run. Kind of like smoking but without the lung cancer.

BigBaitsim (milo)
07-20-2005, 08:54 PM
Caffeine can cause anxiety/panic as well as sleep disturbances. Palpitations can also occur at high doses. If you have no problems with these problems, I would not worry too much.

If you have any trouble sleeping at night, eliminate caffeine for about 8 hours before bedtime. If you are having panic attacks, you need to stop using.

Your consumption places you in the "heavy user" category, so you will have to be careful if you ever decide to quit. It is a good idea to titrate down, as withdrawal sx (headache and fatigue primarily) ca be unpleasant for a few days.

Caveat: I am also a heavy caffeince user, so my opinion is biased.