PDA

View Full Version : Strange Hand - What to Do

07-20-2005, 11:36 AM
First of all hi, never posted before but read on here for a year or more. This hand happened on a party $100 buy in SNG and went like this. Blinds have just hit 15/30, all players remain. UTG, you are dealt 10c10s. You raise to 100, every single player behind you calls, except for the big blind, who goes all in. What do you do?

durron597
07-20-2005, 11:37 AM
Fold.

bluefeet
07-20-2005, 11:38 AM
run!

...and limp in the future w/ TT, EP, early tourney IMO.

wiggs73
07-20-2005, 12:48 PM
Well no one has shown any strength yet in the hand. Getting 8 callers to a raise from UTG usually means that you have the best hand. Having the BB push after 9 people enter a raised pot wouldn't scare me either. Plus you have pocket tens, which is like the 5th best starting hand in poker or something. Easy call.

mlagoo
07-20-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well no one has shown any strength yet in the hand. Getting 8 callers to a raise from UTG usually means that you have the best hand. Having the BB push after 9 people enter a raised pot wouldn't scare me either. Plus you have pocket tens, which is like the 5th best starting hand in poker or something. Easy call.

[/ QUOTE ]

perfect post. couldn't have said it better. instacall.

07-20-2005, 01:55 PM
2 calls and 2 folds, in this case I instantly called. After calling the raise behind me, every single other person folded so it was just the two of us. He showed 89 suited. I thought it was an easy call but others disagree. The pot was huge too.

wiggs73
07-20-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
2 calls and 2 folds

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh...

/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Mr_J
07-20-2005, 02:00 PM
"Easy call."

Sorry but this is the easiest fold ever.

wiggs73
07-20-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Easy call."

Sorry but this is the easiest fold ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could almost cry right now.

The Don
07-20-2005, 02:07 PM
I am not going to discourage you from playing poker like these others. If I get 1010 in late position early... I am definitely raising. If I feel the BB is on a steal and my 10s are good I am calling also. Go with your reads man that is the true path to real success.

wiggs73
07-20-2005, 02:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sheesh, let me fix my own post here since people apparently cannot detect blatant sarcasm (except mlagoo).

First off, I'd be concerned when UTG+1 cold calls a raise from UTG. I'd be very concerned when the next 2 players cold call too, and on top of concerned, very confused. I'd fully expect players in later positions to call based on pot odds and implied odds.

Now's when it gets interesting. A push from someone in late position wouldn't surpise me at all, for 2 reasons. One is because the pot is worth picking up as-is once action gets to those players. Two is because with that many folks in the pot, pushing becomes the only way to play a hand like AA or KK too. So BB does push, it's up to you to decide if he has a monster that he's trying to get 2 or 3 way with or if he's on a complete steal. Being that it could be either, and being that there are 8 people behind you who called a raise upfront, there's no way in hell I'd call here. At the very least, you know there are some 2-overcard hands out there and I'm not a huge fan of coinflips this early, especially when it's likely to be a coinflip-at-best situation.

Also, I think limping with the tens would have been a better play, but I don't think there's anything really wrong with raising, other than the fact you make it more difficult to play post-flop because of your position. In later position, I like a raise just fine.

The fact that I had to make this post genuinely saddens me.