PDA

View Full Version : Horse racing tips?

scott8
07-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Del Mar racing opens today in San Diego and I will go from time to time with some friends, including today.

Since I will be placing some bets, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend some sites or handicappers.

Thanks in advance.

SC

Indiana
07-20-2005, 11:55 AM
Bet on horses that are middle range shots. Betting on favorites doesn't pay much and long shots rarely even place. Look for 5:1 payouts and place your small bets. You just cannot and will not make money over the long run so bet like I say and hope to have a lucky and fun day. I have never met a wealthy horse better and I'd bet that I never will.

Good luck man,

Indy

scott8
07-20-2005, 12:00 PM
Thanks. The purpose of the outings is for a good time and not to gamble or win a fortune.

However, while I drink and watch the ponies I might as well follow the picks of someone who does it professionally.

hogua
07-20-2005, 07:39 PM
A young man goes to the track for the first time. He mets an old timer (cigar, hat, plaid pants, etc) who goes to the track every day.

The two strike up a conversation.

The young man says, "So, you've been going to the track you're whole life? You must know a lot about horses. I bet you know how I can leave hear to with some money in my pocket."

The old man replies, "Son, I like you, so I'm going to share a little secret with you. I'm going to tell you how to make a small fortune from betting horses."

Young man: "Really? Wow that would be great. What do I need to do?

Old man: "You have to start with a large fortune..."

Thank you... I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress

TheTimeIsUp
07-20-2005, 08:09 PM
I have been going to the track since I was a little bo (literally). I am probably pretty succesful at it, and I have been doing it so long that I don't eve know how I handicap. I just do my thing, and it works /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TheTimeIsUp
07-20-2005, 08:13 PM
Right after I am done replying to this, my dad calls me and tells me he won 26k from a superfecta. Crazy. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

John Gaspar
07-20-2005, 10:06 PM
Hi,

If you're only going for the fun and enjoyment, I wouldn't worry about it so much. DRF.com is the website of the Daily Racing Form. They have articles quite frequently on the site and DelMar has a very nice website themselves, DMTC.com

My suggestion for DelMar is a "Horse for Course" type wager.
If you pick up a racing form, they show how a horse has run at the specific track and distance of today's race. If a horse has won a race at Delmar and only has a few career wins to his credit, the horse may prefer that track surface. Often times you will find a few longshots that fit the bill over the course of a season. For example if the horses career record is 20 starts, 3 1st, 1 2nd, 2 3rds and he is 2 for 6 at DelMar, meaning he is only 1 for 14 elsewhere, I would take a stab on him, assuming he is not the favorite. Very simplistic and not the way I "handicap" but it is fun for a recreational type bettor.

Good luck.

Indiana
07-21-2005, 04:03 PM
Went to the horsetrack today (OTB). Made 20 exacta bets and guess how many I won? 0.

Indy