PDA

View Full Version : Tip Jar Poll

djoyce003
07-20-2005, 10:25 AM
Ok, what do you guys think when you go to a place like Subway and pay with a credit card and there is a thing down at the bottom where you can add a tip. They don't do this at McDonalds, or Burger King. It's essentially fast food, they don't wait on you, and now they want a tip. The people in there are not making the normal half of minimum wage type wait staff salary either. Same thing for a carry-out only restaurant where nobody waits on you. They just take your order, call out your name, you go get it, and there is a thing for a tip? I normally tip 20% at a restaurant but I find myself not wanting to tip anything at these places? What do you guys think?

diebitter
07-20-2005, 10:27 AM
just a few coins, mind.

moondogg
07-20-2005, 10:28 AM
Screw'em. Just because they are giving you an opportunity to tip doesn't mean that you should.

I work in an office, and I figure that I'll put a tip jar on my desk.

However, when you do stiff them using a credit card, make sure you write "0" in the tip line, or they can write in whatever they want.

cbfair
07-20-2005, 10:30 AM
I recently drove across town to pick up a pizza and paid by credit card. As I filled in a tip amount (simply out of habit) I realized I was needlessly throwing money away.

Servers, 20% MINIMUM
Drivers, $3 MINIMUM
Carry out attendants, $0

Crveballin
07-20-2005, 10:31 AM
Dont put a "0" because they could always put a 1 in front of it or whatever. Draw a line through the Tip line.

ChipWrecked
07-20-2005, 10:38 AM
Accountants make this little symbol:

-0-

"I mean zero, fcuker."

TheIrishThug
07-20-2005, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dont put a "0" because they could always put a 1 in front of it or whatever. Draw a line through the Tip line.

[/ QUOTE ]

that would work except u r supposed to then write the total, including tip, on the next line down.

IndieMatty
07-20-2005, 10:45 AM
I know a lot of you guys are still in college, but you are awfully cheap for poker players who should have some expendable income.

PokerBob
07-20-2005, 10:51 AM
Screw 'em, and it's not close. I tip VERY liberally at restaurants/bars/Magoo games, but tip jars have popped up everywhere. Just cuz they're there doesn't mean that they should be.

moondogg
07-20-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know a lot of you guys are still in college, but you are awfully cheap for poker players who should have some expendable income.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have problem with spending money on things, and I tip pretty liberally, but there has to be a reason to tip. I don't believe in just handing people money for no darn reason other than they asked for it.

on_thg
07-20-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Screw 'em, and it's not close. I tip VERY liberally at restaurants/bars/Magoo games, but tip jars have popped up everywhere. Just cuz they're there doesn't mean that they should be.

[/ QUOTE ]

kyro
07-20-2005, 11:16 AM
I tipped $10 for a $40 meal last night at a restaurant and I never tip at a fastfood place. There's a big difference. I'm far from cheap.

jakethebake
07-20-2005, 11:34 AM
How many times are we going to do this topic?

http://espn.go.com/media/other/2005/0630/photo/a_catfish_458.jpg

pokerstudAA
07-20-2005, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't have problem with spending money on things, and I tip pretty liberally, but there has to be a reason to tip. I don't believe in just handing people money for no darn reason other than they asked for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Starbucks has tip jars - I always wonder why? They the McDonald's of Coffee. Just because you put a tip jar on the counter doesnt mean you earned or deserve a tip.

dlk9s
07-20-2005, 12:23 PM
I actually had a girl at a pizza joint actually ask me for a tip when I picked up an order.

Paid with cash, and of course, the tip jar was there at the counter. When she gave me my change, she said, "And the rest of it's for me, right?" Normally, I would assume she was joking, but the employees at this place were notorious for acting like customers owed them something.

My response, "If you call me at home in 15 minutes to ask me if everything tastes ok and to offer me a drink refill, I will come back and give you the change."

She looked at me like I was some a-hole (which I was) and I left.

RacersEdge
07-20-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would poker players have more money available to tip compared to other professions?

UMTerp
07-20-2005, 03:05 PM
If you're paying with cash, just throw whatever loose change you get back in the jar. Problem solved. I don't think they're expecting 15%, and you'll never miss the 57 cents.

DasLeben
07-20-2005, 03:08 PM
I only tip waiters at restaurants, and the people at my favorite local deli. Screw Subway.

moondogg
07-20-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're paying with cash, just throw whatever loose change you get back in the jar. Problem solved. I don't think they're expecting 15%, and you'll never miss the 57 cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fvck that I say. I don't need the change, and I may very well throw it in the parking lot for some old people to pick up later, but I'm sure as hell not tipping them, merely on principle.

RacersEdge
07-20-2005, 03:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, I'd just give them the 2 pennies..

SL__72
07-20-2005, 03:14 PM
Yeah when paying in cash they usually get my loose change... if I pay w/ a credit card its too bad for them.

Nottom
07-20-2005, 03:20 PM
I have never put money in a tip jar (unless it was at a bar) and don't plan on starting ever.

Same for the tip line on the CC receipt at fastfood places.

hyde
07-20-2005, 03:33 PM
tough question for me. I worked my way through what should have been my college education waiting on tables in mostly upscale restaurants. and tending bar in slightly more unsavory joints. I tip too much.
But Subway just plain sucks. I can't even get into why you shouldn't be in one in the first place, do you limp in early position with 22???
But if the service person is sincerely pleasant I will drop them a buck.
but sincerely pleasant at Subway or Starbucks is a rare one

djoyce003
07-20-2005, 04:11 PM
Alright well it sounds like i'm not alone in this. I almost get annoyed that it's on there because I don't usually tip them, and I feel bad because of it, even though they aren't doing anything really to deserve it, other than their job. They are making a wage that assumes no tips, so anything extra is really just a gift. It irritates me that I have to feel bad about walking over and getting my lunch because of a little line at the bottom of my receipt.

MrTrik
07-20-2005, 04:16 PM
While still in college I had a network support job. I was always putting out fires when someone tried to hook up stuff to the net and it didn't work for crap. On a dare form a co-worker I added a tip jar to my desk. One day I came in and someone had filled the jar with jelly beans. So everyone would stop buy and grab a couple to munch on. Then someone filled with some other candy. And then another. At Halloween someone hid my jar and replaced it with a basket full of trick-or-treat leftovers. Worked fine for me and my "tip jar" was the sugar fix for a long time. Other than that, tip jars don't get my attention.