PDA

View Full Version : Food emergency

AEKDBet
07-20-2005, 09:44 AM
Since OOT > google I'm asking....

Visiting my Dad at the beach and last night someone left his outdoor freezer open.

This morning we have ~10lbs of shrimp and another 10lbs of steak that has thawed completely, but was still very cold to the touch.

The question is - Will it be safe to have a smorgesbord of shrimp and steak tonight for dinner? We've thrown the stuff back in the freezer ASAP.

jakethebake
07-20-2005, 09:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Will it be safe to have a smorgesbord of shrimp and steak tonight for dinner? We've thrown the stuff back in the freezer ASAP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. If it's still cold then probably. But why are you refreezing it if you're going to eat it tonite?

MrTrik
07-20-2005, 09:53 AM
As with all seafood ... smell it. If it smells clean and fresh you are good. If it's smelling very fishy or otherwise, I wouldn't eat it. Cool to the touch is a good sign but the smell is the final test.

Overdrive
07-20-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Since OOT > google I'm asking....

Visiting my Dad at the beach and last night someone left his outdoor freezer open.

This morning we have ~10lbs of shrimp and another 10lbs of steak that has thawed completely, but was still very cold to the touch.

The question is - Will it be safe to have a smorgesbord of shrimp and steak tonight for dinner? We've thrown the stuff back in the freezer ASAP.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the freezer was still working, but the door was just open - which is the way I read your post - it would of course be ok, especially if it was still 'very cold' to the touch as you said. Eat away my friend.

Brainwalter
07-20-2005, 10:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But why are you refreezing it if you're going to eat it tonite?

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be in the fridge if you're eating it tonight and it thawed overnight. It sounds like you should eat it tonight.

stretch22
07-20-2005, 10:32 AM
from what i remember from nutrition first semester most food starts to go bad after two hours at room temperature, it doesn't always smell though once it begins to develop bacteria. I can't remember moldy bread every having a smell. I think you're fine, especially since it was still cold. Like another poster said, don't you want to put it in the fridge to thaw it for cooking if you're eating it tonight?

coffeecrazy1
07-20-2005, 10:56 AM
Besides, just make sure you cook it hot enough to kill pretty much any bacteria that may have formed and you'll be fine.

FouTight
07-20-2005, 11:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
from what i remember from nutrition first semester most food starts to go bad after two hours at room temperature, it doesn't always smell though once it begins to develop bacteria. I can't remember moldy bread every having a smell. I think you're fine, especially since it was still cold. Like another poster said, don't you want to put it in the fridge to thaw it for cooking if you're eating it tonight?

[/ QUOTE ]

you DO know mold ISN'T a bacteria, right?

I think it will be fine, at worst, you get sick for a couple of days and get some time off work!

BruinEric
07-20-2005, 12:32 PM
Re-freezing will probably effect the texture of the food. Don't re-freeze. Keep it thawed.

If it was COLD to the touch, that's a good sign. You can find stuff about shrimp safety about the net. I remember an Alton Brown "Good Eats" show on Food Network that covered this topic.

stretch22
07-20-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you DO know mold ISN'T a bacteria, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

i didn't say it was

LittleOldLady
07-20-2005, 02:09 PM
We have this problem all the time in south Louisiana. The official recommendation that is repeated every time we have a storm and lengthy power outage: if the food still has some ice crystals it can be refrozen--and, of course, it can also be cooked immediately. If it has completely thawed and been at room temperature for a couple of hours, throw it out. Do not rely on smell or appearance changes.