PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Hand of an $11, Flopped a Set: How Do I Get the Most Value?

bluewilde
07-20-2005, 08:41 AM
OK, this might look like I was trying to slowplay, but it's more of an "Ionno what to do." Somehow I want all my chips to go into the pot. On the flop, a pot-sized bet could scare off the action. So I check-raise, but I don't think I go enough. Then on the turn I manage to get all my money in (sloppy raises though) and I'm happy. Looks OK?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP3 (t800)
CO (t770)
Button (t820)
SB (t785)
BB (t800)
UTG (t800)
Hero (t800)
UTG+2 (t800)
MP1 (t825)
MP2 (t800)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t15, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Button calls t15, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (t52.50) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t55</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t110</font>, Button calls t55.

Turn: (t272.50) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t272.50) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t272.50

Edit: converter misses this: on the turn I check hoping he hit an ace; he bets the pot, I double it, he pushes, I call.

durron597
07-20-2005, 09:22 AM
I like to lead when I flop a set, especially on a board that can have straight draws and (more importantly in this case) flush draws on it.

I hate hate hate hate hate check/miniraise, it's practically shouting to the universe "I have a monster!!!"

mlagoo
07-20-2005, 09:37 AM
I don't really love this line.

Check-minraise pretty much screams "stay in the hand, I've got a big one."

I think I like betting out 1/2-2/3 pot, smoothcalling if you're raised, and check-raising the turn assuming it's a non scare card (in this case, it's a perfect card). If a scare card comes on the turn (another spade, something in the T-9-Q area), I bet out an amount that I can easily get away from, and fold if raised.

Not sure this is the best line, but I think it's a line that conceals your hand a little better (at least until the turn C/R).

bluewilde
07-20-2005, 09:42 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't try and defend what I did at all; I was totally lost. Thanks to both of you, I'll never check minraise again, and I'll lead out on flopped sets.

durron597
07-20-2005, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I wouldn't try and defend what I did at all; I was totally lost. Thanks to both of you, I'll never check minraise again, and I'll lead out on flopped sets.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are situations where it is correct to check flopped sets, but this isn't one of them. A92 rainbow if you have two deuces is a decent time to check.

bluewilde
07-20-2005, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are situations where it is correct to check flopped sets, but this isn't one of them. A92 rainbow if you have two deuces is a decent time to check.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that because I'm worried and want to see the action, or because I'm trapping? If my example weren't suited, would it be ok to check?

durron597
07-20-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
because I'm trapping

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

The thing about the OP is that it's such a draw heavy board you don't know what to do if you check the flop, it checks around and the third spade hits, or a Q hits and then you start getting action...