PDA

View Full Version : Someone sold Beer to a Minor.

treeofwisdom7
07-20-2005, 08:17 AM
Yah, thats not the bad part. In our state we get a 2000$ fine for selling beer to an underage person. The #hit part of this story is that the minor who bought beer got into a major accident and seriously injured someone. The person who got injured by the accident is suing the store I work for and the minor. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif I have no idea who the person is that sold the alcohol. But i feel worried as does most of the people i work with.

Does anyone know what might happen to the person who sold the alcohol or does anyone know the outcome of a similar case?

If you work in retail watch your @ss. Thats all i can tell you. Be safe and dont sell if your unsure.

RunDownHouse
07-20-2005, 08:48 AM
I worked with a woman who served jail time because she supplied alcohol to a minor who then either died or killed someone else in a car crash (I don't remember which). I don't recall how much time - I'd be surprised if it was more than a year - but she did actually have to go to jail.

jakethebake
07-20-2005, 08:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know what might happen to the person who sold the alcohol or does anyone know the outcome of a similar case?

[/ QUOTE ]

This will vary a ton depending on what state you live in and how good a lawyer you can afford.

Morpheus
07-20-2005, 08:53 AM
Yep, someone has to be blamed for it. The kid is dead so now what do we do? We go after the liquor store. How many people do you know grow up saying they want to be a prosecutor when they grow up ? YEah, they aren't known for having the brightest people around.

wh1t3bread
07-20-2005, 08:57 AM
I really doubt that the cashier who sold the alcohol will be in serious trouble. The victim is more likely to go after the store and not some cashier who probably has very little assets (in comparison).

If the cashier *knowingly* provided alcohol to the minor involved then that might be a different story.

ChipWrecked
07-20-2005, 08:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This will vary a ton depending on what state you live in and how good a lawyer you can afford.

[/ QUOTE ]

True dat. If you are in the Bible Belt, you guys are fcuked.

Morpheus
07-20-2005, 09:01 AM
Yep. I live in the Bible Belt. It's f'ing crazy over here. They arrest everyone and I mean everyone over here.

Zurvan
07-20-2005, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yep, someone has to be blamed for it. The kid is dead so now what do we do? We go after the liquor store. How many people do you know grow up saying they want to be a prosecutor when they grow up ? YEah, they aren't known for having the brightest people around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somehow, I doubt the prosecutor is involved in this, since the person is suing. It's a civil case, and you know some greasy lawyer is behind it, gonna sue everybody in sight so he can pull in his 40%.

phil_ivey_fan
07-20-2005, 09:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yah, thats not the bad part. In our state we get a 2000$ fine for selling beer to an underage person. The #hit part of this story is that the minor who bought beer got into a major accident and seriously injured someone. The person who got injured by the accident is suing the store I work for and the minor. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif I have no idea who the person is that sold the alcohol. But i feel worried as does most of the people i work with.

If you work in retail watch your @ss. Thats all i can tell you. Be safe and dont sell if your unsure.

[/ QUOTE ]

first of all, was it a gas station or restaurant from which the kid got the beer?

second of all, did the kid show an ID?

if you answered yes to both of those questions, just relax until you are pin pointed as the one who served the kid. Then, if you are picked, its going to cost you a grand or two (maybe three) to have a lawyer get you off.

I think its ludacris that bar tenders in restaurants are liable for little SHlTs coming in and buyin w/ a fake id and getin

TMFS9
07-20-2005, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
YEah, they aren't known for having the brightest people around.

[/ QUOTE ]

And your post just reeks of brilliance.

poker-penguin
07-20-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
YEah, they aren't known for having the brightest people around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because wanting to make the world a better place is stoopid and everyone should try and make as much money as possible so they can be cool, right?

For the record, the only sort of lawyer I would want to be is a prosecutor (take all the cheap shots you want, I don't care). Defence lawyers are slimy, divorce lawyers are evil, and the rest are boring.

Leo99
07-20-2005, 07:28 PM
A law was broken. That seems to be a fact. Someone in the store broke the law as did the kid. The kid has some culpability. If he showed a realistic looking fake ID then he has more culpability. If the store just sold him beer to make a sale and the store is known to server underage people that's a problem for your boss. How much training did you receive in not serving underage people? How much training in spotting fake IDs and all that? That's a big part of the clerk's job and they should be properly trained.

Why is it slimy to force the people responsible for the victims injuries to pay for lost income, pain and suffering?

Hey lawyer wannabe, you should reconsider family law. My wife does PI and while it pays well, it's boring. Family law always has some cool soap opera crap going on.

The Yugoslavian
07-20-2005, 07:40 PM
You should concentrate more on pushing the cigarettes at your store. I've heard your boss is looking for improvement in that area.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yugoslav