PDA

View Full Version : Early/midgame strategy

07-20-2005, 07:57 AM
Hello all, I am new to this forum and this is my first post!

I have been reading the forum quite a bit and found lots of good advice on playing when the blinds are high. I find that play quite "easy" compared to early/midgame strategy. Once the blinds are high, it is usually push or fold and there is often a mathematically correct way to play. But early on and in midgame, what is a good strategy? I play very tight, but occasionally I will make a move with a less strong hand to pick up blinds + limpers bets when in level 2-3. I usually make that move by raising in late position or from the BB, usually with 1-2 limpers in front of me. I raise to about 160-200, which usually is 20% of my stack at those levels.

Is this a good or a bad habit? I find it works often, but I also risk quite a few chips, especially since I usually bet the flop too if it looks good/bluffable.

Would be interesting to learn from you SNG-pros.

/ mbman

07-20-2005, 08:47 AM
actually, the early/midgame strategy is pretty easy too. read ALeomageus SNG guide (i think its in the FAQ)

Basically you dont want to risk alot of chips in levels 1-3 on marginal hands in decent situations because

A. You need those chips to be able to get respect with your pushes later. 1 wrong move with Kjo in level 2 and now you got 400 chips and almost no chance of scaring people off of alot of hands.

B. You need to craft a tight image so when the blinds starting getting big in levels 4/5 people respect your raises and you have added fold equity

Think about it, how bad do you really need those 45 chips or 75 chips from blinds in levels 2-3? Not a whole lot for the risky situations you will get into fairly often

07-20-2005, 01:01 PM
Could someone post a link to the ALeomageus SNG guide that Precise refers to? It is not part of this forum's FAQ.

citanul
07-20-2005, 01:23 PM
here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=602767&page=&view=&sb =5&o=)

citanul
07-20-2005, 01:24 PM
questions of this sort are far too general to get any kind of worthwhile response usually. find something more specific than "how do you play in the mid game" or "how do you play hu" to ask about.

citanul