PDA

View Full Version : Odd thing I read about etiquette - True?

Webster
07-20-2005, 07:10 AM
I was at a local book store and looking through the many Hold'm books and came across something I was not aware of.

It said "it is poor etiquette to take advantage of someone going all in by reraising and makeing OTHERs pay more".

For instance - UTG bets $4, UTG+1 calls $4 MP1 raises ALL-in for 1 bet Plus 2 cents for $4.02 cents and Hero ReRaises his 2 cents plus another bet.

Now - I've always appreciated that 2 cents but the book says that it is poor etiquette to take advantage.

THIS is the 1st I have ever heard of that ??????

Grinderswarehouse - NOT just another BLOG (http://www.grinderswarehouse.com)

diebitter
07-20-2005, 07:29 AM
I've seen one big stack berating the other for raising over an all-in by a little stack when the two big stacks were still both in.

So maybe it is, but it's poker, not cricket, so who cares?

I'd consider not raising just because of etiquette in this situation as collusion myself (letting other players stay in just to increase the chance of busting the small stack out).

tek
07-20-2005, 08:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen one big stack berating the other for raising over an all-in by a little stack when the two big stacks were still both in.

I'd consider not raising just because of etiquette in this situation as collusion myself (letting other players stay in just to increase the chance of busting the small stack out).

[/ QUOTE ]

Reraising an all in is for the purpose of you isolating the short stack, and it's a strategy covered in 2+2 books.

Soft playing a short stack is for the purpose of keeping him around to run interference for you against a bigger stack.

Dov
07-20-2005, 09:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For instance - UTG bets $4, UTG+1 calls $4 MP1 raises ALL-in for 1 bet Plus 2 cents for $4.02 cents and Hero ReRaises his 2 cents plus another bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a matter of etiquette.

You cannot reraise the all in player in this situation. Basically, if the all in player has reraised less than half of the last bet, then it is not considered a real raise and you cannot reraise.

The logic behind this is not intuitive, but it effectively prevents you from raising yourself.

You may have noticed that while playing on some of the poker sites, you were not sometimes able to reraise an all in bet. Now you know why.

BTW, if you are in a place that allows you to do this, then do it if you gain an advantage from it.

thejameser
07-20-2005, 09:59 AM
that is retarded. we do like money don't we?

Big Country
07-20-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a matter of etiquette.

You cannot reraise the all in player in this situation. Basically, if the all in player has reraised less than half of the last bet, then it is not considered a real raise and you cannot reraise.

The logic behind this is not intuitive, but it effectively prevents you from raising yourself.

You may have noticed that while playing on some of the poker sites, you were not sometimes able to reraise an all in bet. Now you know why.

BTW, if you are in a place that allows you to do this, then do it if you gain an advantage from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is only true if you were the original bettor. If you have yet to act, you are free to raise all you want as it is a perfectly legal action for you to still take. The post does not state that the "Hero" was the original bettor, and, from its wording, I am guessing he was not.

In live play or preflop in tourney play, the raise over the top is an isolation play and many times a very good strategy to increase your chances of winning the pot.

Postflop in tourney play, you better have a good hand otherwise it is a stupid play to be bluffing at a dry side pot.

Hal 2000
07-20-2005, 03:16 PM
My favorite phrase on the placard of a hold'em table in Reno: Check and raise is allowed.

pryor15
07-20-2005, 03:26 PM
i've done it quite frequently in tournies to protect the small stack if i'm a big stack, primarily if i've been making a bit of money and have a good read on the small stack, then i don't mind them sticking around and potentially taking $$ from other people.

it works really well if you're the big stack and can go all-in behind the short.

Webster
07-21-2005, 11:36 PM
I agree - I have done it many times and was surprised that it was even mention - THUS - the post.

Alobar
07-22-2005, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]