PDA

View Full Version : You were born this morning. You will die tonight.

Spaded
07-20-2005, 05:55 AM
You don't know this, but when you woke up this morning your consciousness was born. You will live your life normally, as if you were born on your birthday, as if you had actually lived all of your days, as if this wasn't your last day on earth. When you fall asleep, your mind will shut down, and you will die. Your brain will keep your body alive, of course. Your body's autonomous functions will continue as your body lies consciousnessless ( i just made that word up /images/graemlins/cool.gif).

In a few hours, a new consciousness will be born inside your head (after it dreams, of course), and it will inherit all of "your" memories. Since nothing has changed in your brain, the new consciousness will believe that it has lived every day of "your" life as its own, and will go on living as normal until it falls asleep and passes on to the next consciousness. All of the nerves inside your head are where they should be, so the next consciousness will inherit everything you know. You, however, have passed into the timeless, unknown void.

You may think that my philosophy is BS, but do we really know? Can we disprove that? Consciousness (did i actually spell it right?) is not something that is understood by science, and may never be.

Here is a photograph of Marshall Applewhite to gaze into as you contemplate your impending doom:

http://members.cox.net/nh777/applewhite.jpg

snowden719
07-20-2005, 06:03 AM
you're gay.

snowden719
07-20-2005, 06:05 AM
Imagine wind, not as the movement of air molecules, but as milions of invisible flying unicorns with no mass, no charge, no electromagnetic field, no way for them possibly to be detected using scientific means. There is no way to disprove that wind isn;t millions of flying unicorns. Think about that.

AngryCola
07-20-2005, 06:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you're gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Insults on this forum have really gone downhill.

malorum
07-20-2005, 08:20 AM
Deeeep

AleoMagus
07-20-2005, 08:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You may think that my philosophy is BS, but do we really know? Can we disprove that?

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to do better than "can we disprove that?" because we cannot prove it either and this makes it undecidable in much the same way as questions like "what if everything in the universe suddenly doubled in size 5 minutes ago?" or "what if the whole universe was created complete with fossil records and memories 5 minutes ago?". As fun as these questions can be for teenagers smoking pot, they are basically meaningless. Or, to use your expression... BS.

Regards
Brad S

Dov
07-20-2005, 10:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You were born this morning. You will die tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a firefly.

[censored]
07-20-2005, 01:32 PM
that was the stupidest thing I have read in a long time.

drudman
07-20-2005, 02:44 PM
I'm surprised at how many people don't know how to make literally meaningful sentences.

bholdr
07-20-2005, 05:37 PM
...ummm... hey, baby, i was just born this morning, and i will die tonight.. i don't want to die a virgin. c'mon.

goofball
07-20-2005, 06:08 PM
elctrodynamcis is caused by gnomes.

Spaded
07-20-2005, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
elctrodynamcis is caused by gnomes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Underpants gnomes?

Spaded
07-20-2005, 08:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You need to do better than "can we disprove that?" because we cannot prove it either and this makes it undecidable in much the same way as questions like "what if everything in the universe suddenly doubled in size 5 minutes ago?" or "what if the whole universe was created complete with fossil records and memories 5 minutes ago?". As fun as these questions can be for teenagers smoking pot, they are basically meaningless. Or, to use your expression... BS.

Regards
Brad S

[/ QUOTE ]

The picture of the Heaven's Gate leader was supposed to make it clear that the whole thing was sarcasm /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Anyway, flop quads.