PDA

View Full Version : AQ gets in trouble

Malachii
07-20-2005, 05:28 AM
Bison's converter is messed up so I'll write this one out by hand.

Party 25$ NL... I have 25$, both players have me covered

Two loose limpers, I raise 2$ on the button with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif, SB cold calls, 1 folds, MP calls

(6.25$ in pot.)

Flop comes A /images/graemlins/club.gif7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

MP donk bets 1$. I raise to 5$. SB cold calls. MP calls.

(15$)
Turn comes K /images/graemlins/club.gif.

SB checks, MP bets 5$ into pot. This really feels weird to me. I'm getting a good price on the call. I decide against raising because I'm not sure I'm ahead of MP. The SB might be drawing, but given the fact that he called 2$ cold preflop, I decide he has a hand like AJ or AT and call.

River comes 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
SB pushes all in. MP thinks and folds. What do I do, and why? If you say fold, please tell me what you put the SB on.

whittiphil
07-20-2005, 06:18 AM
Hmm, I call, but I'm scared of sb slow playing his KK pre flop.

I think 50% of the time he has KK, the rest you've got it.

webmonarch
07-20-2005, 11:01 AM
SB has a flush (or straight) (why he cold called on flop, and checked the turn), MP had two pair, or AJ or AT or something like that. You're beat.

Why would a pre-flop cold-call have to be high cards? I'm calling raises with many people in pot with 89s, 78s, T9s, etc. all the time . . .

wslee00
07-20-2005, 11:25 AM
@ 25$ it's hard to judge what people's starting hands are - i've seen re-raises w/ 97s at this level. But I do believe that they play pretty straightforward when they hit their hand. I think he has the flush as he's just called on flop and turn and then suddenly goes all-in on the river when the diamond hits.

btetreau
07-20-2005, 11:39 AM
No reads on SB? Have you seen him/her do anything of significance before?

What is your table image at this point, have you been raising alot (>10%)?

Whenever I see someone call (or cold-call) some flop action with two suited or running cards on the board, and then check/call the turn to see the river, I assume they are either drawing to the straight or flush. They also might have a monster of a hand, but generally it's a draw.

I'm not sure what to make of MP, but in this hand I think that because of how SB played the flop and turn you have to fold to the river push. Also, look at it from SP's

I'd put SB on either KdQd or a weak ace that is trying to portray the flush. But that is read-dependant.

nietzreznor
07-20-2005, 12:08 PM
I think you are probably beat here. Its unlikely that SB would check/call twice and then push here without hitting a draw. With two opponents, a bluff is much less likely to be successful.
Obviously I don't know what SB's range is for calling preflop, but it certainly may include two higher diamonds (like KQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif or something).

Allinlife
07-20-2005, 12:15 PM
I'm guessing you called and he did not show you the straight or the flush.

When someone coldcalls like that it often means nut flush draw or pair/flush draw etc. I think on turn you have to make a read on SB and decide to push or fold. MP's betting pattern is often draws trying to get cheap price, SB's call represents a draw as well, but I've seen party 25nl'ers make these kind of slowplay with sets/2pair.

anyways the point is, you have to give it up with tptk when there are 2 others in the pot who's betting patteren suggested they were on a draw, and when they push allin on straight/flush card, more often than not, they will show you something that beats tptk and take your money.