PDA

View Full Version : Who likes Bellande ?

Morpheus
07-20-2005, 04:42 AM
Watched the 2005 WSOP 1st event or whatever the hell it is. Bellande was pretty funny. I hated him for the first 5 minutes because I didn't understand him but now I like him.

-Skeme-
07-20-2005, 04:43 AM
I hated him at first, but then he said some funny stuff. He's cool. Jen is hilarious, though.

rokstedy
07-20-2005, 04:44 AM
Don't know if I'm a fan yet, but I didn't hate him.

einbert
07-20-2005, 04:47 AM
I thought he was fun to watch. If it hadn't been for him this final table might have been quite boring to sit through.

I rarely just 'hate' a poker character though.

Durs522
07-20-2005, 04:50 AM
He's okay on TV I guess, however in real life I think he wouldn't be nearly as funny.

Durs

rheaume
07-20-2005, 04:50 AM
re: to topic

His mother.

uh, that last hand of his, all in with the fours and gutshot, brilliant. a fitting way to end his run i thought.

einbert
07-20-2005, 04:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He's okay on TV I guess, however in real life I think he wouldn't be nearly as funny.

Durs

[/ QUOTE ]

Would definitely be annoying to play poker with him. I felt really bad for Macey, the guy he sat directly to the left of at the beginning.

From the comfort of my sofa, though, definitely entertaining.

Morpheus
07-20-2005, 05:01 AM
He reminded me of "The Rock" . He was so blatantly inappropriate. I enjoyed it.

edgarciajr
07-20-2005, 05:03 AM
He was awful. As a regular brick and mortar player, I can only imagine how many idiots are now going to come in and act like him. Great. I hope Bellanda is forgotten faster than pet rocks!

Smoothcall
07-20-2005, 05:06 AM
Very entertaining! But a di**. He can care less about being respectful and being a gentleman. In fact wanted to be a di**. He was successful. But agian i did enjoy watching him. Kinda like a hellmuth but in a different way. But i also get a vibe away from the table he's not as obnoxiois and full of himself like a hellmtuh(i think bellande does it more to put people on tilt and get people off there game, but is not genuinely a di** like hellmuth probably is). At least in the manner of thinking he's a star and his fans are beneath him like hellmuth. He may be arrogant but more in a way like he thinks he's a stud. Did that make sense?

jdock99
07-20-2005, 05:36 AM
I used to like Bellande a lot a few years ago when he was playing live mid-limit poker, mostly omaha hi-low, and I guarantee all the regular players in the games back then had a wide smile on their face anytime he sat down in their game. Apparently he is a tournament star now. Oh well, nothing good lasts forever.

zuluking
07-20-2005, 06:42 AM
Jean-Robert Bellande is good for poker. Imagine how many wanna-bees will watch him and come into a B&M to play poker. Discuss...

Howard Treesong
07-20-2005, 06:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Very entertaining! But a di**. He can care less about being respectful and being a gentleman. In fact wanted to be a di**. He was successful. But agian i did enjoy watching him. Kinda like a hellmuth but in a different way. But i also get a vibe away from the table he's not as obnoxiois and full of himself like a hellmtuh(i think bellande does it more to put people on tilt and get people off there game, but is not genuinely a di** like hellmuth probably is). At least in the manner of thinking he's a star and his fans are beneath him like hellmuth. He may be arrogant but more in a way like he thinks he's a stud. Did that make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

It did (sort of), and I think you're dead-on. In real life, he's got a big personality and isn't afraid to show it; he's not always respectful, but he IS almost always funny. Very entertaining to be around. I for one like him, and have for years.

Smoothcall
07-20-2005, 07:00 AM
Yeah i saw some of "Th Rock" in him. Very much actully. Maybe "The Rock" after Vince Mcmahon tells him to go with the bad guys of wrestling for a few months because his good guy image wasnt selling anymore. Did you smell what bellande was cookin?! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

benneh
07-20-2005, 07:07 AM
hellmuth doesnt seem like a guyu whos a dick away from the table.

bellande either.

Smoothcall
07-20-2005, 08:09 AM
He does to me. He walks around the poker room like he's a movie star. And only aknowleges the people "in his world" Top tourney players. I mean may be being a little harsh and he's not the perspon i think he is. Although when he was on the set of "tilt" Michael Madsen said Phil was much more obnoxious and full of himslef than any hollywood actor that he has ever met. Or something to that effect. That and i can't remember ever seing him shaking hands with a fan who just wanted a moment of his time. I'm sure he has beofre but i can't remember one time. But have seen many of the top players do this. Greg Raymer always stops almost to a fault to shake hands and talk for a moment with his fans. I feel for him he walks in the room and he has to shake hands and talk with like 5 people before he walks 5 feet. Daniel does as well. Cris Ferguson and many other do as well. But i can't rmember Phil H doing this. But once the camera comes on Phil is everywhere to ham up the camera. And i'm not saying just because he doesn't shake his fans hands all the time. Its just the whole combination of things that i have heard and seen that make me think unless your in his "inner world" or have a camera in your hand he feels you are beneath him and not worth his time. Jmo and i could be totally wrong. Although Howard treesong said i was dead on when describing bellerde. I'm not sure if he meant i was dead on about phil also or just bellerde. He would probably know better than i.

otnemem
07-20-2005, 08:45 AM
Okay, so I guess you can mark me down as the only person who thought Bellande was a tremendous douche. I didn't find him funny at all, but not because he was being a dick. Assholes can be really funny. But he was just annoying and egocentric. He thought he was the [censored] when he clearly was not.

drewjustdrew
07-20-2005, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He was awful. As a regular brick and mortar player, I can only imagine how many idiots are now going to come in and act like him. Great. I hope Bellanda is forgotten faster than pet rocks!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he was that bad. He just stood out because no one else showed any personality or fired back at him. It gave him a kinda "Rainman" quality where it seemed like he was just rambling to no one even though we knew he was trying to show that he was a big shot. Anyone with half an ounce of intellect could have put him in his place. That would have been good TV. Damn high road!

McGahee
07-20-2005, 09:44 AM
Jen is awesome. How lucky is her husband? Do you think he even bothers having a job? I'd probably follow her to every event too; she must get hit on 24/7.

Rosie5
07-20-2005, 10:14 AM
he's the anti hellmuth

he has a much better attitude but he's just as annoying. He was a gentlemen but man he talked a lot...

I felt bad for the asian kid, the whole crowd just cheering when you when you lose a hand. Has to be rough

RacersEdge
07-20-2005, 10:21 AM
People who can't keep their mouth shut for more than 2 seconds annoy me.

kasey2004
07-20-2005, 10:30 AM
I thought he made for good TV and his calls of peoples hands and whatnot were pretty good. all in all i thought he was funny and had a decent attitude.

/images/graemlins/spade.gif Kasey /images/graemlins/spade.gif

TheJunkyardGod
07-20-2005, 10:34 AM
I instantly hated him the first 10 minutes into the show. I know espn edited the game to alot of the hands he was playing but I just hated his personality.

But after a while I realized he was actually playing fairly decent poker and making good reads. He even started becoming a humorous personality.

07-20-2005, 11:15 AM
It's so totally an act that I found it entertaining. At the table it'd probably drive me crazy. You could see flashes of sincerity in things, like his compliments/respect for Jen. The time where he berated his own play. The time where he started a little "John-Robert" mini-chant, looked around and said "No?" and smiled.

Soul Daddy
07-20-2005, 11:17 AM
I can't think of a more entertaining player to watch, and I normally can't stand the attention whores.

beekeeper
07-20-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hated him at first, but then he said some funny stuff. Jen is hilarious, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

MMMMMM
07-20-2005, 12:44 PM
He and Matusow might make a good pair.

Bulldog
07-20-2005, 01:33 PM
I was hoping whomever knocked him out would say, "You're no Bill Laimbeer. Bill Laimbeer has championship rings!"

bobhalford
07-20-2005, 01:58 PM
I didn't like him at the beginning and he didn't grow on me at the end. He's got an overinflated ego and doesn't seem to understand that in order to protect himself from looking like a complete fool, he has to play perfect poker. I was pleased to seem him get knocked out after he spent the whole time believing he was going to win the thing.

27offsuit
07-20-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What's a pet rock?

27offsuit
07-20-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Watched the 2005 WSOP 1st event or whatever the hell it is. Bellande was pretty funny. I hated him for the first 5 minutes because I didn't understand him but now I like him.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking I would've called him out on his beanie and the fact that he is obviously balding......if he busted my balls, that is.

drewjustdrew
07-20-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking I would've called him out on his beanie and the fact that he is obviously balding......if he busted my balls, that is.

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent. now that's good tv

smoovee
07-20-2005, 03:17 PM
i thought he was gonna bust out with some french rap

James Lang
07-20-2005, 03:18 PM
He definitely reminded of The Rock as well as the brother from Everybody Loves raymond (his face at least). He wasn't as annoying in the 2nd episode.

Nottom
07-20-2005, 03:24 PM
He grew on me. He wasn't nearly as annoying as they were making him out to be.

Harman seems to think he was funny, and even Ivey cracked a smile once or twice.

Duke
07-20-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jen is awesome. How lucky is her husband? Do you think he even bothers having a job? I'd probably follow her to every event too; she must get hit on 24/7.

[/ QUOTE ]

Her husband cashed in 50,000 world series events. I think that's his job.

~D

mwilli31
07-20-2005, 03:38 PM
Pretty arrogant and annoying IMO. I did like the comment Jen made though when he said something like "Must be nice knowing you're clearly the best player at the table" and she turned it around with "You must have a pretty big ego." I was drinking, exact dialogue a little hazy.

10-20Jerome
07-20-2005, 03:51 PM
He has bad attiude of the table as well. Ive seen him at serval events and the guy is a jerk. To cocky and sometimes outright rude. I never thought about the effect he will have on poker now. As one poster brought up this point, can you imagine wantabe Bellandes runnning around you local cardroom! All that aside if he gets a huge stack early in the events you whole stack is at risk evertime you come in.
Wild aggersive player, but should work on his people skills.
I think we might have to deal with this guy for a while though. He has a source of income coming from some where (parents probably) and hes not scared to gamble. Thats a combo for lots of strong tourney runs. By the way......I wish my turn would hurry up and get here 16 $5000 and up tourneys last year 9 cashes no final tables /images/graemlins/frown.gif All a player needs is one win in these events to be set for awhile /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

UATrewqaz
07-20-2005, 03:58 PM
I was rooting against him the whole way. There is only 1 of 2 explanations.

1. He's putting on this "act" to get on people's nerves. This is the hallmark of a weak player if you ask me, he's willing to have a bad reputation and people dislike him to gain what he thinks is a small edge.

2. He's not acting and that's his natural personality, which is almost worse. I despise people who can't shut up for 2 seconds. Can't they see they are the only ones talking? Do they actually think anyone is remotely interested in anything they have to say? I would so Phil Ivey this guy. Imagine 9 players "Ivey'ing" and him being the 10th. He'd be more flustered by everyone stone faced not reacting or listening to a damn word he said.

PS.

3. I think he's consciously trying to be like the Rock (ala WWF/WWE).

10-20Jerome
07-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Jesus Christ Matasow and him at the same table...........somebodys getting ejected /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

MLG
07-20-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I for one like him, and have for years.

[/ QUOTE ]

does that have anything to do with the 200k he lost "learning to play poker?" At leas that was the number he cited on the show last night.

Iron Tigran
07-21-2005, 04:09 AM
He alternately irritated and amused me "excellent laydown!". Overall I do like him, though, cos that type of banter at a table can get me sorta pissed, and I need to think about that and work thru it and not get rattled. So he has made me think about improving my game, which I appreciate.

PokrLikeItsProse
07-21-2005, 04:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He alternately irritated and amused me "excellent laydown!". Overall I do like him, though, cos that type of banter at a table can get me sorta pissed, and I need to think about that and work thru it and not get rattled. So he has made me think about improving my game, which I appreciate.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, does this mean I should learn to act that way occasionally if I have opponents like you who are tilt-able?

Russ McGinley
07-21-2005, 04:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2. He's not acting and that's his natural personality, which is almost worse. I despise people who can't shut up for 2 seconds. Can't they see they are the only ones talking? Do they actually think anyone is remotely interested in anything they have to say? I would so Phil Ivey this guy. Imagine 9 players "Ivey'ing" and him being the 10th. He'd be more flustered by everyone stone faced not reacting or listening to a damn word he said.

PS.

3. I think he's consciously trying to be like the Rock (ala WWF/WWE).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I agree here. The reason these guys do these things is to draw a reaction, whether it be at a poker table, in pro wrestling, or anywhere. Just to expand on your wrestling note, anybody in the wrestling business will tell you that you would rather get booed out of the building, have trash thrown at you, have people yelling at you and hating you than to have the fans have NO REACTION at all to your presence. If Bellande was at a table with 9 Phil Ivey's, I'd guess that he'd not bother with his shenanigans after about 10 minutes of 9 blank stares, but he had several players on that table fall right into it.

Willy
07-21-2005, 09:08 AM
I thought the jist of his comments was that he wanted to be an irritating ass.
He succeeded.

oneeye13
07-22-2005, 05:46 AM
i played with him at commerce 200 nl. he kept the game alive.

oneeye13
07-22-2005, 06:35 AM
check out pizzapoker.com

Trainwreck
07-22-2005, 01:49 PM
LOL! 7 cashes this year though, well done Marco!

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=44293

Jean was nice change of pace, I'd give him plenty of grief back if he was at my table though.

LOL: http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=28703

'Action Bob' caption under his picture, and what's this BS about him being french, listed as american, born in NYC (see bio @Hendon Mob database).

PairTheBoard
07-22-2005, 02:07 PM
I thought he was one of the better poker personalities to come on the scene in a while. His arrogance was tempered by charm, self deprecating humor, deference and not unskillful flattery toward Jennifer Harmon, good looks and sex appeal. His appearance at final tables should boost their TV ratings and higher TV ratings is definitely good for poker. The only question is whether he has the poker skills to continue making final tables.

PairTheBoard

rheaume
07-22-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and even Ivey cracked a smile once or twice.

[/ QUOTE ]

that wasn't due to bellande's jackassery. that was after jen's "i have a skirt you can wear" comment to frenchie.

CieloAzor
07-22-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought he was one of the better poker personalities to come on the scene in a while. His arrogance was tempered by charm, self deprecating humor, deference and not unskillful flattery toward Jennifer Harmon, good looks and sex appeal. His appearance at final tables should boost their TV ratings and higher TV ratings is definitely good for poker. The only question is whether he has the poker skills to continue making final tables.

PairTheBoard

[/ QUOTE ]

Very well stated. I agree completely.

Howard Treesong
07-22-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I for one like him, and have for years.

[/ QUOTE ]

does that have anything to do with the 200k he lost "learning to play poker?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Those would be independent motivations, sir. I didn't ever mind him in my game; but quite apart from that, he really is amusing and charismatic. I think he overrates his own skill, but who am I to disabuse him of that?

riverboatking
07-22-2005, 08:12 PM
its funny to me that all of you are judging this guy based on such a limited exposure to him.
he is a geniunely nice guy, and i say this after playing with him for an extended period of time.

you know i read all the same stuff about phil laak after his wpt episode aired and it was all the lame internet trolls yakking about how annoying this guy phil is and how horrible it would be to play at the same table with him.
when in fact phil is nothing like his "tv personality" at the table.

you guys should seriously get a life and ease up on the judgements and tirades.

MicroBob
07-22-2005, 08:26 PM
I could have liked him a bit more.

But as they were going to one of the commercial breaks when they got to 9-handed you could hear Thaler (I think) ask if they could square-the-table a bit and Bellande told him "you knock out someone on YOUR end of the table if you want more room." something like that anyway.

Otherwise, I would probably enjoy playing with him and would kind of make fun of him sort of like how Jen was messing with him when she said 'good lay-down'.

When it comes to obnoxious players at the table I would much rather have a Bellande there as opposed to, say, an Ellix Powers or even a Mike Matusow.
They're all pricks....but Bellande strikes me as more fun to be around I guess if you had to choose amongst those three.

Klepton
07-22-2005, 09:47 PM
he was at commerce last night playing 40-80 NL

FWIW, it looks like he was making the game very fun and exciting, as everyione was laughing every minute, which is good, cuz it makes the table loose. there was even a $30,000 bluff on the river (sorry i don't know the rest of the hand, but the guy showed it, and jean-robert went crazy)

i'm not trying to be a hater, but supposedly he used to be a club promoter and embezzled money from the clubs he worked for...about 30,000 from one club, and they fired him.

the above statement is true, but i'm being vague because the person who told me about him did not want to be known

johnnybeef
07-22-2005, 09:54 PM
"This might be the only time I say this all night, but that was a horrible laydown."

Funniest words I have heard said at a poker table that didn't come from my own mouth.

benfranklin
07-22-2005, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
LOL! 7 cashes this year though, well done

[/ QUOTE ]

And don't forget he was All-County in '95. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rasputin
07-23-2005, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was hoping whomever knocked him out would say, "You're no Bill Laimbeer. Bill Laimbeer has championship rings!"

[/ QUOTE ]

I turned to my wife and said "Bill Laimbeer was a pussy." and "Where's Robert Parrish?"

And "Huh, you do kinda look like a Sleestak."

I found him to be a tremendous tool.

rheaume
07-23-2005, 06:14 AM
bellande looks like ali g

Russ McGinley
07-23-2005, 07:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that immediately.

Iron Tigran
07-23-2005, 07:46 PM
I'd be honored if you altered your behavior just for my sake.

Chief911
07-23-2005, 08:50 PM
Bellande used to own/run a night club. Not promoter.

And unless you are the one who cannot take a joke, Bellande is a lot of fun to be with at the table.

Nick

deacsoft
07-23-2005, 10:35 PM
I can't hate the guy for it. He's just doing his thing to get an edge. I'm all in favor of doing anything to get an edge up to, but not including, being a dick at the table. I don't like what he does, but can't hate him for it.

morgan180
07-23-2005, 10:47 PM
he did a great job of pissing his stack away.

toss
07-24-2005, 05:05 PM
He says his game is structured after Harrington on Hold'em.

Smoothcall
07-24-2005, 05:19 PM
Lol. Maybe Harrington on holdem when drunk!

samjjones
07-25-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Playing as Borat would be a great table gimmick.

evans075
07-25-2005, 11:56 AM
Did anyone get the feeling that he was hitting on Jen?

McGahee
07-25-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Did anyone get the feeling that he was hitting on Jen?

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be a good laydown.

Cased Heel
07-25-2005, 04:56 PM
he came off as quite a d.ickcheeseburger.

I could go without ever seeing him again in my life and I'd probably not miss out on much.

realwtf
07-25-2005, 07:01 PM
People seem to be more interested in players liek this.

Hendon Mob most visited web pages (http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/pop.php)

The winner Doug Lee is 34th while the ass is 4th.

Drac
07-26-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife and I both thought that as well.

revots33
07-29-2005, 10:33 AM
OK I know this is old news but I just caught this on Tivo yesterday.

Though Bellande was funny - but what the hell was with that all-in on his last hand?? That might be one of the dumbest plays I've seen in a long time - going all-in against the big stack with a pair of fours on an A-2-3-4 board? Since Lee was the BB and limped in, he could have had almost anything, including the 5. Bellande totally overbet and put himself in the position where he'd either win a little pot or bust out. He had played well up to that point - but that was an absolutely horrendous push IMO.

snakehead
07-29-2005, 02:49 PM
for bobby's fans (http://www.everythingaboutpoker.com/)

KSOT
07-29-2005, 11:42 PM
I didn't find his antics amusing.

SinCityGuy
07-30-2005, 12:23 AM
Seemed like a good player and a pompous ass, which makes for good television.

sirdeej2
07-30-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Playing as Borat would be a great table gimmick.

[/ QUOTE ]

rheaume
07-30-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
for bobby's fans (http://www.everythingaboutpoker.com/)

[/ QUOTE ]

i love how they're promoting a DVD called "know when to go all in"

lemme guess... DO I GO ALL IN WITH 3RD PAIR AND A GUTSHOT ON THE TURN?

imported_adhoc
08-10-2005, 09:45 PM
The funniest thing about this guy is his name. It sounds like "bellend," which is a British slang word worth looking up.

TheHip41
08-10-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Who?

Rootabager
08-11-2005, 01:06 AM
F the french.