PDA

View Full Version : want to Mac it up....

TheBlueMonster
07-20-2005, 02:11 AM
I just got a Powerbook g4 (sweetness...) Unfortunately none of the online poker sites work with a Mac (crap...). PartPoker says I should get Virtual PC (cost $130...double crap). Is there any way around this? Or do I have to suck it up and suck it up? /images/graemlins/frown.gif

speirs
07-20-2005, 02:48 AM
I can tell you that even with Virtual PC (which is a crap program to begin with) it won't run smooth at all. Get a PC when you are serious about poker. I know I did.

shant
07-20-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Or do I have to suck it up and suck it up? /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Do this.

shant
07-20-2005, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can tell you that even with Virtual PC (which is a crap program to begin with) it won't run smooth at all. Get a PC when you are serious about poker. I know I did.

[/ QUOTE ]
Also, he's right about this. My friend tried it and it ran like [censored]. He plays Pokerroom now.

mdeck
07-20-2005, 03:09 AM
I believe PokerRoom has a poker client written in Java that will run on Macs. I've never used it, but I hear its pretty shitty.

Good luck, but getting a dedicated PC for poker (provided you already have a monitor) shouldn't cost you more than VirtualPC would cost, if you can build it yourself. If you're going to multitable that's probably the way to go.

speirs
07-20-2005, 03:36 AM
Pokerroom.com has the only decent 'Mac' client. It isn't really a Mac client though, but a Java client, which will run on Mac.

There are other sites like checkandraisepoker (java), pacific (java), bugsyclub (client), victoriapoker (client), etc but it is all very bad, if you get it to work in the first place.

I love Mac's but like a said before: If you are serious about poker you really have to buy a PC.

pryor15
07-20-2005, 03:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe PokerRoom has a poker client written in Java that will run on Macs. I've never used it, but I hear its pretty shitty.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've had very few problems and i've played maybe 30k ring hands there and a bunch of tournies. there's a new PokerTracker-ish program for Macs as well that's very nice called MacPoker Pro. there's info in the Software forum.

Diesel10
07-20-2005, 10:30 AM
It sucks being a dedicated Mac user and poker player. Probably the worst part of it is the inability to bonus whore. But, pokerroom.com is not bad. Wide selection of games, decent tournies, etc. The software works fine. I've multi-tabled with no problems. It really stuns me that more sites aren't willing to put $ in to make themselves mac accessible- I know it's only a small percentage of the market, but still to virtually cede that opportunity to pokerroom is counter intuitive.
Looking forward to checking out the poker tracker software for mac that was mentioned above.
Good luck-

TheBlueMonster
07-21-2005, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the posts...
I have a PC already and I use it to play poker. It's not terribly fast but it gets the job done. I wanted to play on the Mac for accessibility (like if I'm somewhere with wireless).
Like you guys I think it's odd that most sites aren't Mac friendly.

Jailhouse
07-21-2005, 12:47 AM
I love pokeroom. I was stuck in ur situation and was "forced" to play on PR. Haven't played anywhere else since.

jrobb83
07-21-2005, 05:28 AM
Yeah, don't bother with Virtual PC. It will let you play on the mac, but not more than one table well. So in my opinion its not worth the money.

beaster
07-21-2005, 08:34 AM
Heh, my OS of choice is Linux (Gentoo distribution) and while I got Paradise working with Wine, I was unsuccessful with anything else (including Poker Tracker). I gave up trying and am now dual-booting into XP when I want to play poker.

If you're going to be serious about online poker, a PC is the way to go. As I got serious, I noticed there was more software I wanted to run -- Poker Tracker, a HUD -- and gave up on running Linux exclusively. I think you'll have to do the same with your Mac.

TheBlueMonster
07-21-2005, 01:08 PM
Alright, I think I got the idea /images/graemlins/grin.gif
My new computer is awesome for everything but poker.
Thanks everyone

lozen
07-21-2005, 01:26 PM
No pokerroom will work and has some great games. I play there also

PotatoStew
07-21-2005, 02:05 PM
I own a Mac too, but have a PC just for poker... the PC is a 4 year old machine running Win2000. Would Virtual PC on a current dual processor Mac really run PartyPoker worse than my 4 year old PC?

shween
07-21-2005, 03:21 PM
Full Tilt Poker will release a Mac client within the next few months.

speirs
07-21-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I own a Mac too, but have a PC just for poker... the PC is a 4 year old machine running Win2000. Would Virtual PC on a current dual processor Mac really run PartyPoker worse than my 4 year old PC?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably: Yes. May depend on what kind of Mac you have but still...

07-21-2005, 04:58 PM
Hey, I've just been trying out this new poker game called Live3DPoker. I am not using a mac, but their download page has downloads for both windows AND mac. Its a real application too, none of that crazy java stuff. I think you should give it a try before you dish out all that money! The url is www.live3dpoker.com (http://www.live3dpoker.com)

Let me know if you try it.
Maybe I'll even see you on there later!

x2ski
07-21-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey, I've just been trying out this new poker game called Live3DPoker. I am not using a mac, but their download page has downloads for both windows AND mac. Its a real application too, none of that crazy java stuff. I think you should give it a try before you dish out all that money! The url is www.live3dpoker.com (http://www.live3dpoker.com)

Let me know if you try it.
Maybe I'll even see you on there later!

[/ QUOTE ]

You seem way too excited in your posts regarding this poker site.

Smells a bit spammish, but I'll let more experienced posters make that determination.

07-21-2005, 06:12 PM
I'm sorry. I'm new here, I didn't mean to make my post look like spam. TheBlueMonster did look legitimately disappointed. I figured I'd try to help him out by throwing in my two cents /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I used to play poker online a lot a couple years ago,
and recently got back into it when I came across that site. I came to these forums to see what others think of it, and I can't find much of anyone talking about it. Actually I -am- excited, because there are finally some decent -looking- poker games coming out. All of the new ones are all so bland. :\

Anyway, I hope TheBlueMonster reads these replies.

djoyce003
07-21-2005, 06:20 PM
seriously get a pc....nobody uses macs, wtf.

TheBlueMonster
07-21-2005, 06:22 PM
yea, I read all the replies. I'm definitely most comfortable on party poker so I'll continue to play on my old PC.

PotatoStew
07-22-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
seriously? get a pc? Everyone with a clue uses macs, wtf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed your post. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Edit: Not for poker of course. Just in general.