PDA

View Full Version : Eights on the button against a LAG

Kyle
07-20-2005, 12:10 AM
Villian is your typical LAG. His PF raising standards from MP are most likely any ace and down to Q10o. Comments on all streets welcomed.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is Button with 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls.

Flop: (7.66 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.83 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (10.83 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 10.83 BB

ChewyMint
07-20-2005, 01:07 AM
I think it's a good line. You kept the pressure on him, and then you were able to get a free showdown when another scare card hits on the river. Results?

ChewyMint

The Truth
07-20-2005, 03:58 AM
Best case he has AK, AQ. He likely has a flush draw or top pair. I take 1 of 3 lines here.

1. Just call the flop and raise any non-heart non ace turn.
2. raise flop, call down if 3 bet.
3. call down.

Following the flop 3 bet, I don't see alot of value raising the turn. If his 3betting range is this wide, I can see him 3-betting the turn with a wide range, and then when you run into AKh you are folding the best hand.

Dont feel bad about being passive. Calling down is correct in some spots. Its player dependent, but for this hand, I like just calling the flop and raising the turn. On the flop, you arn't ahead of a flush draw with 1 over by much.
So, wait til a safe turn to punish.

just some thoughts,
blake

Kyle
07-20-2005, 11:07 AM
I think I like option one the best. Given the action on the flop I am most likelt ahead only to two hearts which it turned out he held and MHWG.

drbk2
07-20-2005, 11:58 AM
Nice hand. All streets look good, although I think it is possible you lose this hand.

ike
07-20-2005, 01:28 PM
Am I the only one who thinks OP missed a bet on the river?

MrStretchie
07-20-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but it's close as I'd hate to get checkraised there..

07-20-2005, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The river card doesn't change anything; I don't think the J makes the LAG a pair. Judging by her turn action, I think she's more likely to be scared of a T than have one herself. The only reason for a river check could be if you reason that you are behind in the hand, but then you also know that your raise on the turn won't fold out a LAG's hand that beats yours.

If you raised the turn because you thought you were ahead, then you should bet the river also. Otherwise, your mistake is raising the turn or you put her on specifically 99.

DeezNutz3
07-21-2005, 11:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The river card doesn't change anything; I don't think the J makes the LAG a pair. Judging by her turn action, I think she's more likely to be scared of a T than have one herself. The only reason for a river check could be if you reason that you are behind in the hand, but then you also know that your raise on the turn won't fold out a LAG's hand that beats yours.

If you raised the turn because you thought you were ahead, then you should bet the river also. Otherwise, your mistake is raising the turn or you put her on specifically 99.

[/ QUOTE ]

Opponent could have an 89s which gets there on this river. I don't think just b/c u raise this turn you have to bet this river by any means.