PDA

View Full Version : $215s - Another Weird 99 Hand

Unarmed
07-19-2005, 10:45 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+2 (t1160)
MP1 (t150)
MP2 (t1055)
MP3 (t1165)
CO (t1530)
Button (t1715)
SB (t900)
BB (t880)
Hero (t930)
UTG+1 (t515)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Hero calls t30, UTG+1 calls t30, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (t105) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks.

Turn: (t105) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t70</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t140</font>, BB folds, Hero calls t70.

River: (t385) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Villain pushes, Hero calls t345.

Final Pot: t730

Freudian
07-19-2005, 10:49 PM
I both like and hate this hand. There is absolutely no reason for you to go almost broke with 99 in an unraised hand in level 2, especially when the flop could have you drawing almost dead.

BUT, villain has only 515 chips to start with. People do stupid things when short stacked early on.

I don't know. His play is consistent with him actually having a K. No idea if he has one though.

edit: If I was to call on the turn I would definately check/call the river no matter what.

edit 2: Could 99 be the new JJ? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

bluefeet
07-19-2005, 10:56 PM
i don't know...a 'freebie' on the flop, only a minraise on the turn (only holding back t345)? i'd be 100 chips shorter, moving on to the next hand.

poindexter
07-19-2005, 11:21 PM
the only hands your beating are a pair of 8's or a bluff. The 8's almost always bet the flop here so you need to rule them out. His check the flop and turn raise action should make you want to run. How would you play a K if you were in his shoes? He could be on tilt with the small stack but I would say you are beat a high percentage of the time here.

ChrisV
07-20-2005, 04:33 AM
This is nuts. You should definitely bet the flop, you have a fragile hand and want to take it down right here. I'd bet about 3/4 of the pot.

On the turn you should flat-out fold the raise. This guy isn't kidding. The 4 didn't put any draws on the board and it would be a bizarre way to play any real hand at all (small pair, 8, flush draw...). A pure bluff is highly unlikely since your play is consistent with a king, and people don't normally bluff by minraising. There's a chance you're up against a moron with something like 55, but I'd put the chances he has a king at something like 90%.

John Hurst
07-20-2005, 04:39 AM
This appears to be a totally read based hand. If you won great read if not you look kinda silly.

curtains
07-20-2005, 04:40 AM
btw I agree with whomever said this is a clear bet on the flop. I don't think it's very debatable.

Unarmed
07-20-2005, 08:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is nuts. You should definitely bet the flop, you have a fragile hand and want to take it down right here. I'd bet about 3/4 of the pot.

On the turn you should flat-out fold the raise. This guy isn't kidding. The 4 didn't put any draws on the board and it would be a bizarre way to play any real hand at all (small pair, 8, flush draw...). A pure bluff is highly unlikely since your play is consistent with a king, and people don't normally bluff by minraising. There's a chance you're up against a moron with something like 55, but I'd put the chances he has a king at something like 90%.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good post.
I was struggling with whether or not a K checks behind on a two flush flop last to act vs two opponents. I make a stab on the turn, which while consistent with a K, is also consistent with what a random $215er will do with anything. So I don't think he needs much of anything to raise me back, but the min-raise was troubling. Thanks for the post though. I'm still getting adjusted to the $215s. You have to call for value a ton or you'll get absolutely run over. This was a bad spot. He had K3o (ewww, UTG+1)