PDA

View Full Version : Tricky little spot vs a baby LAG

ArturiusX
07-19-2005, 09:59 PM
Now I wouldnt call this guy a LAG, hes at 38/29, so he raises a bit, but hes no a complete maniac (as in randomly raises 85o [censored]), but he will probably raise any Ace, or misc holdings like QJo.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (5.25 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.25 BB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero ????

A_C_Slater
07-19-2005, 10:08 PM
I fold and don't even wonder about it later.

Carmine
07-19-2005, 10:35 PM
We'll you give a description of his PF play but not his postflop game. I find it hard to give advice one way or another. You had odds to call on both the flop and turn so can't find fault there. I think verses a LAG you are good at least 1 in 7 so I make the call.

I wouldn't mind seeing some discussion on PF play. You know it's going to be HU so how much value is in the 3-bet. That plus the cap (which you had to seriously consider was coming) really ties you to this pot against an opponent with a wide range of hands not to mention you are OOP. Great to get all that money in there when we hit, but when we miss it kinda screws us, almost forcing us to the river UI. We are talking about giving up one SB PF which I think we could easily make up postflop against a LAG. Just throwing it out there for some debate.

Estydogg
07-19-2005, 11:16 PM
I have to agree with Carmine. Out of position with an wild agressive player, you're trying to make a hand for cheap and let him bluff his money off.

Raising in the blind was pointless without a made hand. You were already heads up and why take him out of the lead. If you hit your flop are you going to keep the lead and bet (NO!) so why do it now.

Also will all that money already in your decision on the turn decides whether or not your call the river too. Calling the turn and folding on the river for one bet is the worst you can do.

Summary, don't look to call all the way thinking ace high is good. It doesn't pay off in the long run. Like Mike Matasow said in this years WSOP championship, "There's no reason to play big pots with bad players".

ArturiusX
07-19-2005, 11:42 PM
"Made hand"? Kind of a stupid idea, considering I'll win unimproved a majority of the time. Why do I need a made hand to win this pot?

Emperor
07-20-2005, 01:14 AM
I agree with you and absolutely disagree with Edog.

I would call down with AQs against this type of player everytime. If I go and look at the times I call down with Ace high HU in pokertracker... I win MORE than 50% of the time... I think you have to pick your spots, and this is one of them.

Redd
07-20-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I fold and don't even wonder about it later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even against the LAG? I would have called this and not wondered about it later. Now you have me wondering about it, jerk.

Clarkmeister
07-20-2005, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Raising in the blind was pointless without a made hand

[/ QUOTE ]

Made hands headsup against maniacs who are in steal position don't get much better than AQ.

Easy river call.

ArturiusX
07-20-2005, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Made hands headsup against maniacs who are in steal position don't get much better than AQ.

Easy river call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I called, he flashed 99 and MHING. I was pretty sure it was a call, but its always good to post. I think some people reading these forums may have a leak or two /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Grease
07-20-2005, 02:25 AM
Not 3-betting here is awful, IMO.

AQs is a monster hand, especially HU, and you want to capitalize on the crap he is raising with PF by forcing him to put in more money with it.

I call down here almost every time.

einbert
07-20-2005, 02:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Raising in the blind was pointless without a made hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

For all intents and purposes, AQs is a made hand here.