PDA

View Full Version : A Pair of Pairs

Scotch78
07-19-2005, 09:14 PM
I've only been at the time 4-5 orbits, and the villain is even newer. I've seen him check-raise bluff a paired flop heads up, fire again on the turn, then give up on the river; and slowplay a flopped flush (second nuts). Beyond that all I can say is that he's not passive and probably not tight.

Hand #1:

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.33 SB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Turn: (3.66 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5.66 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 7.66 BB

Hand #2:

Same opponent. My only additional read is that he had <font color="white"> KJs (no flush draw)</font> in hand #1.
edit: MP seemed loose-passive so far.

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP checks.

Turn: (1.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP folds, Hero calls.

River: (3.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 5.50 BB

Scott

bds
07-20-2005, 01:48 PM
Hand 1 I like it given your read; you've picked up a gutshot draw and don't want to be bluff raised off seeing the river. Given that you don't know if his bets on the turn or the river mean that he has anything, I also call the river here.

Hand 2 - Given that the flop was checked through, I bet out on the turn. Sure, someone could be slow playing a 5, but chances are greater that noone is. If I don't bet the turn, I check raise it. I want to try to convince players holding A, K and Q or draws to a straight or a flush to fold here. If I don't do that, then I raise the river with my 2 pair. The only hand you are really worried about at that point is one that has a 5 in it or an overpair that didn't raise preflop, and I think that's unlikely.

Scotch78
07-20-2005, 03:52 PM
On hand 2 I checked the turn because I expected the BB to bet pretty much anything in that spot. If MP had called, I probably would have check-raised. Since it was just me and a very likely bluffer, I just called. On the river I check-called because I thought he would be bluffing a high percentage of the time and I didn't want to lose two bets if he did have trips.

Scott