PDA

View Full Version : What motivates you?

stupidsucker
07-19-2005, 07:09 PM
What motivates you?

I won't put limitations on how you want to perceive the question except that it has to deal with poker.

Mr_J
07-19-2005, 07:12 PM

liucipher
07-19-2005, 07:13 PM
being the smartest guy in the room

lacky
07-19-2005, 07:13 PM
having a job with no bosses, no employees, no clients, no customers, no set hours, where I dont have to sell anything

Apathy
07-19-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
having a very well paying job with no bosses, no employees, no clients, no customers, no set hours, where I dont have to sell anything

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

Bigwig
07-19-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What motivates you?

I won't put limitations on how you want to perceive the question except that it has to deal with poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I HATE MY OPPONENTS AND I WANT TO CRUSH THEM!!!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH!!!

Nah, money and the thrill of winning. Tournaments are how I fell in love with poker. There's a goal: to win. I like that.

1C5
07-19-2005, 07:16 PM
^^^

Freudian
07-19-2005, 07:17 PM
You need a boob job? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

johnnybeef
07-19-2005, 07:17 PM
Post deleted by citanul

1C5
07-19-2005, 07:18 PM
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

gildwulf
07-19-2005, 07:18 PM
It's the only game I know where how much money you make is directly related to your skill, which I think is pretty cool. Mostly I do it for the intellectual challenge.

gildwulf
07-19-2005, 07:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sorry i missed that before. deleted by citanul now

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, that too.

The Yugoslavian
07-19-2005, 07:19 PM
The noose.

Yugoslav

Isura
07-19-2005, 07:21 PM
To be the best at anything I do.

lacky
07-19-2005, 07:21 PM
thats the thing, if I can have all the rest, I'd be happy with $10/hour. It was never really about the money.

11t
07-19-2005, 07:22 PM
My desire to rule the world

bluefeet
07-19-2005, 07:23 PM
- single dad
- single FIXED salary
- 2 teenage daughters

i can honestly say i play for my kids. every penny withdrawn allows me to do something for/with them that i probably otherwise wouldn't be able to do. plenty of motivation...

Geordie Ramone
07-19-2005, 07:25 PM
http://www.pokervoice.com/pics/themoneyshot2.jpg

The Don
07-19-2005, 07:31 PM
$$$ ----> Chicks

Freudian
07-19-2005, 07:32 PM
You want a shotgun and a silly tie?

Isura
07-19-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You want a shotgun and a silly tie?

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly.

Jman28
07-19-2005, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's the only game I know where how much money you make is directly related to your skill, which I think is pretty cool. Mostly I do it for the intellectual challenge.

[/ QUOTE ]

These are exactly my feelings.

I hated getting jobs as a teenager because I could only get kid jobs, even though I knew that I could do work that many college-educated people did.

You usually don't get paid based on how good you are at your job, but in poker, with some variance, you do.

YourFoxyGrandma
07-19-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are alot of games like that, i.e. any sport. Though, poker is still cool in that way.

I play mostly for the money, I guess. Plus it's something to do when I'm bored; a hobby, if you will.

A_PLUS
07-19-2005, 07:53 PM
Thinking back to when I was younger, pissed off, knowing that no matter how hard I worked I was never going to be better than an average athlete. No excuses now

playtitleist
07-19-2005, 07:55 PM
The money is meaningless. Winning is everything.

...and what JohnnyBeef said.

PapiChulo503
07-19-2005, 07:56 PM
Not being the best at it is my major motivation. Im the type of person that wants to be #1 at everything. Maybe its just being stubborn but I know that one day I will be very succesful at this game.

pergesu
07-19-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What motivates you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I play because I love poker, and I like setting my own hours. Whenever I think to myself, "Man I just don't want a job," I start losing. My dad told me that you get what you think about in life, so despite I was thinking about NOT wanting a job, a job was still on my mind, rather than independence. Seems to work that way.

valenzuela
07-19-2005, 08:06 PM
To be the best in South America.

stupidsucker
07-19-2005, 09:08 PM
I am happy to see this post has taken off quickly.

bluefeet
07-19-2005, 09:15 PM
and yours mr.sucker?

gildwulf
07-19-2005, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The money is meaningless. Winning is everything.

...and what JohnnyBeef said.

[/ QUOTE ]

If money was meaningless you'd probably be playing Starcraft or something instead.

gildwulf
07-19-2005, 09:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are alot of games like that, i.e. any sport. Though, poker is still cool in that way.

I play mostly for the money, I guess. Plus it's something to do when I'm bored; a hobby, if you will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are certain players 7 million dollars better than another player? The money in sports is largely arbitrary and a function of supply and demand and how much a society is willing to pay. For instance, in Canada football and hockey players make WAY less than players in the states not because they are intrinsically worse but because Canada isn't silly.

YourFoxyGrandma
07-19-2005, 09:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are certain players 7 million dollars better than another player? The money in sports is largely arbitrary and a function of supply and demand and how much a society is willing to pay. For instance, in Canada football and hockey players make WAY less than players in the states not because they are intrinsically worse but because Canada isn't silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really educated enough on the topic to argue it any further, but I think it's safe to say that generally speaking, better players get paid more. To your credit, earnings are probably more directly related to skill in poker moreso than in any professional sport.

But yeah, whatever.

pergesu
07-19-2005, 10:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's safe to say that generally speaking, better players get paid more

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope. If that were the case, Melo would have a $280 million/yr contract. Cause he's the best player in the history of the universe.

curtains
07-19-2005, 10:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What motivates you?

[/ QUOTE ]

The glory! The money is nice but at some point it doesnt matter anymore, its more important to be the champion!!!

gildwulf
07-19-2005, 10:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What motivates you?

[/ QUOTE ]

The glory! The money is nice but at some point it doesnt matter anymore, its more important to be the champion!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, the glory of earning 6 BB/HR in your underwear:)

curtains
07-19-2005, 10:13 PM
No whats important in the end is that everyone understands that you are a huge champion of poker.

gildwulf
07-19-2005, 10:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

No whats important in the end is that everyone understands that you are a huge champion of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gotta find someone who can teach me how to be a WORLDWIDE CHAMPION of poker...

stupidsucker
07-19-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

and yours mr.sucker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Until recently my motivation has waivered.
For the most part it has been freedom. I roll up my stake and then get lazy. All because I can.

Now I want to take my laziness to a new level.

I don't want to be lazy now. I want to be lazy later.

Not having to work motivates me.... and that means not having to play poker someday.

rohjoh
07-20-2005, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What motivates you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Brad: Why don't you get a job Spicoli?
Spicoli: Get a job? what for?
Brad: You need money.
Spicoli: All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.

OK money is nice too...

clipset
07-20-2005, 01:08 PM
in the immortal words of wu tang

CASH RULES EVERYTHING AROUND ME

microbet
07-20-2005, 01:17 PM
Back in the day in Berkeley there was a street poet/bum who went by the name "something mike" - I don't remember what the something was. He was kind of a gruff looking biker looking guy.

He explained to me one time that he never does anything wrong because he carries this knife (brandishing it), which he was not afraid to use on himself if he deserved it.

Possibly you saw the guy since you are straight out of Oakland, but at this time you were probably up in the hills pretending to be a teenage mutant ninja turtle or something.

The Yugoslavian
07-20-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Back in the day in Berkeley there was a street poet/bum who went by the name "something mike" - I don't remember what the something was. He was kind of a gruff looking biker looking guy.

He explained to me one time that he never does anything wrong because he carries this knife (brandishing it), which he was not afraid to use on himself if he deserved it.

Possibly you saw the guy since you are straight out of Oakland, but at this time you were probably up in the hills pretending to be a teenage mutant ninja turtle or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm....I am not familiar with this biker guy....

I'm familiar with several crazies but they generally just bark loudly about God or something else...

Yeah, I probably was in the Oakland hills....pwning my homiez at cards for fruit roll ups and/or chewy granola bars. B/c I'm pimp like that.

/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Yugoslav

Boltsfan1992
07-20-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What motivates you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker is fun. I like how it is always different and how I can always improve. The money is good, but I'm learning to think in terms did I make the right decision against that particular player? Learning about the game fascinates me for some reason. I'd like to learn as much as possible because I don't like to lose because of poor play (knowing that sometimes poor players win and sometimes good players lose).

PB

barry111
07-20-2005, 01:30 PM
Please dont put links like this up without giving warning that is is not safe for work. I like my day job, thanks

Mr_Oog
07-20-2005, 02:04 PM
My main motivation comes from the mistakes I make. I think that if I were to ever stop making mistakes the game would become a job.
-Mike

07-20-2005, 02:08 PM
Two chicks at the same time

07-20-2005, 02:14 PM
I like competition, always played sports growing up, losing was never acceptiable to me and that has carried over to a poker table. Where in both you also learn something new all the time. Nothing will never be exactly the same. Money is also quite the motivation, as i agree with mostly every post about no boss, ect.

Phill S
07-20-2005, 02:19 PM
Cos i enjoy winning. I enjoy showing how im better than the next guy. Cos i love doing this:

ANTES/BLINDS
shaunW posts blind ($50), kdino99 posts blind ($100).

PRE-FLOP
bernhardrene folds, -Diceman- calls $100, boozluva calls $100, goldfinger88 folds, shaunW bets $150, kdino99 folds, -Diceman- calls $100, boozluva calls $100.

FLOP [board cards 7H,5C,4S ]
shaunW bets $100, -Diceman- calls $100, boozluva folds.

TURN [board cards 7H,5C,4S,7S ]
shaunW bets $200, -Diceman- calls $200.

RIVER [board cards 7H,5C,4S,7S,8H ]
shaunW checks, -Diceman- checks.

SHOWDOWN
shaunW shows [ KS,QS ]
-Diceman- shows [ 2H,2C ]
-Diceman- wins $1,300.

And i love laughing at the other guy cos he knows im in his head and i just pwned him good.

Phill
ps, dont question the 22 call preflop, its a dangerous move in the wrong hands

valenzuela
07-20-2005, 02:38 PM
Where are stack sizes on that hand? Buy-in? Anyway if you had him why didnt you bet? Are you joking?? WTF

Phill S
07-20-2005, 02:44 PM
I was 90% sure i was ahead. I was 100% sure if i raised he either goes all in or folds. Calling down and checking the river is the only line here.

Note, i have notes on everyone who could get involved with this hand.

Hand later in same game:

Seat 2: kdino99 ($2,104 in chips)
Seat 6: -Diceman- ($3,717 in chips)
Seat 7: boozluva ($9,179 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
kdino99 posts blind ($200), -Diceman- posts blind ($400).

PRE-FLOP
boozluva folds, kdino99 calls $200, -Diceman- checks.

FLOP [board cards AH,KH,AS ]
kdino99 checks, -Diceman- bets $1,704, kdino99 folds.

SHOWDOWN
-Diceman- wins $2,504.

This is why i play poker.

Phill

Nicholasp27
07-20-2005, 02:45 PM
i'm confused

how did u own him?

looks like u were just a calling station and happened to have the best hand at showdown

Sponger15SB
07-20-2005, 02:47 PM
If money wasn't involved, I would almost never play poker.

Phill S
07-20-2005, 02:48 PM
Happening to have the best hand and solidly knowing i had the best hand, and then let him bet away his chips on an overcards bluff are two different things.

Ok, maybe you guys dont see the inner beauty, but it did it for me. I almost got wood when he showed the KQ.

Phill

gildwulf
07-20-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Cos i enjoy winning. I enjoy showing how im better than the next guy. Cos i love doing this:

ANTES/BLINDS
shaunW posts blind ($50), kdino99 posts blind ($100).

PRE-FLOP
bernhardrene folds, -Diceman- calls $100, boozluva calls $100, goldfinger88 folds, shaunW bets $150, kdino99 folds, -Diceman- calls $100, boozluva calls $100.

FLOP [board cards 7H,5C,4S ]
shaunW bets $100, -Diceman- calls $100, boozluva folds.

TURN [board cards 7H,5C,4S,7S ]
shaunW bets $200, -Diceman- calls $200.

RIVER [board cards 7H,5C,4S,7S,8H ]
shaunW checks, -Diceman- checks.

SHOWDOWN
shaunW shows [ KS,QS ]
-Diceman- shows [ 2H,2C ]
-Diceman- wins $1,300.

And i love laughing at the other guy cos he knows im in his head and i just pwned him good.

Phill
ps, dont question the 22 call preflop, its a dangerous move in the wrong hands

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF?

valenzuela
07-20-2005, 03:01 PM
Im sorry to upset you BUT IMO your hand is more like:
I call preflop hoping to get a free flop, well its only 100 more so I call again.( this is fine early on, but I dont think ure stack is deep enough, but I might be wrong since u didnt post ure stack)
Well player A puts $ on the pot, I have 22 and I call HOPING to be ahead (i think hes bluffing), do I care becuase theres a player yet to act? well Ill hope he will fold as well and that the turn doesnt screw me IF im ahead.
Well he bets again...a 7..he cant have a 7!!!mmm...I call HOPING to be ahead and waiting that I dont get screw by one of the 12 outs..phew!! he checks , now Ill check just to be safe.

Nicholasp27
07-20-2005, 03:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Im sorry to upset you BUT IMO your hand is more like:
I call preflop hoping to get a free flop, well its only 100 more so I call again.( this is fine early on, but I dont think ure stack is deep enough, but I might be wrong since u didnt post ure stack)
Well player A puts $ on the pot, I have 22 and I call HOPING to be ahead (i think hes bluffing), do I care becuase theres a player yet to act? well Ill hope he will fold as well and that the turn doesnt screw me IF im ahead.
Well he bets again...a 7..he cant have a 7!!!mmm...I call HOPING to be ahead and waiting that I dont get screw by one of the 12 outs..phew!! he checks , now Ill check just to be safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp

citanul
07-20-2005, 03:26 PM
if you're going to participate in the innanery of "fyp" you need to make it simple to find out what you've changed.

citanul

SuitedSixes
07-20-2005, 04:00 PM
My ballerina princess rodeo clown. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=singletable&Number=288 8080&Forum=f22&Words=&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=2 888080&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=10938&datera nge=1&newerval=1&newertype=w&olderval=&oldertype=& bodyprev=#Post2888080)

valenzuela
07-20-2005, 04:04 PM
I thought u were supposed to actually change something in the post /images/graemlins/confused.gif

07-20-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Happening to have the best hand and solidly knowing i had the best hand, and then let him bet away his chips on an overcards bluff are two different things.

Ok, maybe you guys dont see the inner beauty, but it did it for me. I almost got wood when he showed the KQ.

Phill

[/ QUOTE ]

If you knew you had him "pwned" so badly why not throw a raise on the end? i mean if u know ur hand was that solid...why not

Oluwafemi
07-20-2005, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What motivates you?

[/ QUOTE ]

me personally, i could care less about the competitiveness or being known as the best. the only thing i care about is the MONEY i can earn from playing poker. my love for the game does'nt extend past how much i feel i can eventually earn from it. if there was no money to be made, i would'nt play---simple as that. i've had alot of low level players tell me not to take $5 buy-ins so seriously, yet taking them seriously [in my pursuits to move up] is precisely why i feel i have an edge. i tell players all the time:

[ QUOTE ]
"if you feel like throwing your buy-in away, i'm glad i'm at your table. i'll gladly take it".

[/ QUOTE ]

poker is like a business to me. you go into business to make money, anything else [to me] is a waste of time. when i log into a table, my sole focus is on making money- PERIOD!
i constantly find myself in situations where i get my money in with the best of it, only to get rivered by a wing and a prayer. there is only one thing i hate to think about most and that hurts more, other than losing the hand in that spot, and that's having to think about the money i could've made had my hand held up.

Mr_J
07-20-2005, 08:17 PM
You could have just agreed with my response /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Slim Pickens
07-20-2005, 08:18 PM
Internet poker allows me to gamble for profit in my underpants while at the same time fondling my girlfriend, drinking beer, and scarfing Reddi-Whip straight out of the can. I don't quite have a big enough mouth to yell out "God-f-ing-dammit!" at the same time, but I'm working on that. Take that conservative christian right!

So I think my answer is "spite," which is pretty much the only thing that has ever motivated me.

see you in hell,

SlimP

Degen
07-20-2005, 08:26 PM
From management classes i recall that people are motivated by:

Money, fear, acknowledgement (praise, respect), power (i may have left one out but in watching my own employee's these are certainly the most common motivational tools.

For me it is a combination of all of them:

I fear going broke. This motivates me to manage my money well, not play on tilt and to learn.

Money is by far my biggest motivator.

Acknowledgement is big in my circle of friends as we all play poker a great deal. Winning is nice for the money but also nice for the respect I get for it. I used to be probably the 4th or 5th best in our group.

Power is one that certainly motivates me and being self-employed (and successful at it) is certainly an empowering thing.

Degen
07-20-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Post deleted by citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

what was this??????? i like REALLY REALLY wanna know!!

johnnybeef
07-20-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Please dont put links like this up without giving warning that is is not safe for work. I like my day job, thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry didnt think about that

DrunkHamster
07-20-2005, 08:40 PM
Its still in there, just look for this

Oluwafemi
07-20-2005, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You could have just agreed with my response /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i like mine better.