PDA

View Full Version : My initial plan gets foiled, what now?

shadow29
07-19-2005, 07:07 PM
CO is a run of the mill LAG. He's been getting out of line tons pre-flop (57/17), but slowing down a lot if people play back at him if he's got nothing. He likes to bluff the river, but won't call if he doesn't have anything (he folds to river bet a ton). He's lost a lot of pots at this table and this might be affecting his thinking (if he was thinking in the first place).

MP is like a lesser version of CO. Getting out of line a lot (40/17) pre-flop, but then slowing down if people play back at him (until the river, he loves to bet/raise as bluffs). He's lost even more than CO has.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) http://216.119.70.224/converter/hhconverter.pl

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, MP calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, SB calls

Hero?

I really wanted to c/r CO on the flop since I've got TP, but there's a couple redraws out there to beat me. The pot is fairly big and I'd like to get it HU against his goofy ass. But then MP foils my plans. CO doesn't necessarily have to have a hand to raise MP here (overcards, 77-44, who knows). I unfortunately don't have a good enough read on MP to know what he's betting on the flop here. Likely a pair or overcards though.

kapw7
07-19-2005, 07:18 PM
You have better reads since you were actually at the table, but I suspect with this type of players it will cost you more than 2 bets to see the turn as they will probably go in a raising war. The pot will be bigger in later streets so you will be trapped easier with a pair of eights/not great kicker when there will be so many cards that can beat you: spades, overcards etc. So I would suggest to play conservatively and fold.

iluzion
07-19-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have better reads since you were actually at the table, but I suspect with this type of players it will cost you more than 2 bets to see the turn as they will probably go in a raising war. The pot will be bigger in later streets so you will be trapped easier with a pair of eights/not great kicker when there will be so many cards that can beat you: spades, overcards etc. So I would suggest to play conservatively and fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree here. I think often you will be paying atleast 3 bets to see the turn, and that board isnt exactly friendly to a top pair hand. You could very well be up against flush draw and/or OESD, so if you are ahead now, which isn't too likely, there are alot of scary cards that could come on the turn.

ChromePony
07-19-2005, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so if you are ahead now, which isn't too likely, there are alot of scary cards that could come on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the key point, the pot is fairly small now and there are a ton of cards that you probably have to dodge to take this one down, I would fold and wait for a better chance to get my money in with this guy.

shadow29
07-19-2005, 07:29 PM
Alright good. I folded, but I was like hm maybe there's a better way.

Going for the c/r is correc here, right?

kapw7
07-19-2005, 07:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Alright good. I folded, but I was like hm maybe there's a better way.

Going for the c/r is correc here, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I saw the flop, before reading the action I instantly thought "check-raise". But I am a C-R maniac. I don't know what others think though.

timprov
07-19-2005, 08:15 PM
If it weren't for SB's coldcall, I'd think hard about 3-betting, but I think that swings it to a fold.