PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Laptop for Multi-tabling Poker

colgin
07-19-2005, 06:40 PM
I am trying to customize a Del laptop to be used primarily for multi-tabling online Poker. Four-tabling with no overlap (or very little) is very important. I want to be configured to have wireless access to my desktop so that I don't need a separate internet connection. While I will search for a coupon to try to reduce the $2,700+ price below, I was wondering if I have too many things I don't really need as the current number seems like a lot for a second computer. If anyone is willing to comment on the features below I would appreciate it. Let meknow ifI can get rid of stuff or if you think in some areas I need more power. My wife will also use this but mostly for wordproceesing and internet. Thanks.

Inspiron 9300 Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740 (1.73 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB)

Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

Display 17 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen UXGA Display with TrueLife™

Memory 1GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz 2 Dimm

Video Card 64MB ATIs™ Mobility Radeon™ X300

Hard Drive 80GB Hard Drive

Network Card Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem

Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 6.0

CD/DVD Drives 8x CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer write capability

Wireless Networking Card Intel® PRO 2915 and Dell 350

Bluetooth Internal Wireless Cards

Office Productivity Software Microsoft Office Basic - Includes Outlook, Word, Excel,

ACCESSORIES
Tripplite Traveler Direct Plug-In Surge Suppressor Qty 1
Unit Price $20.00

NETGEAR WGT624 802.11b/g 108Mbps Super-G Wireless Broadband Router Qty 1
Unit Price $90.00

TOTAL:$2,487.00

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Price $2,782.02 (incl. S&H)

TheTROLL
07-20-2005, 05:45 AM
Well, you'd be fine for poker with half the RAM, much smaller hard drive, no bluetooth, no MSOffice and no DVD writer - but I don't imagine changing any of those is going to save you significant money - a lot of that price is in the screen. Router's perhaps a shade high-end, you don't need that kind of wireless speed.