PDA

View Full Version : Poker creating a hole my my resume

Alpha13
07-19-2005, 04:12 PM
A question for the other pro collge students out there, what are you guys going to say about the hole in your resume that you're makiing while playing poker? By the time I get my degree I'll have gone about 2 1/2 years without a job. I don't know what my future employer will think of that.

Thanks

jman220
07-19-2005, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A question for the other pro collge students out there, what are you guys going to say about the hole in your resume that you're makiing while playing poker? By the time I get my degree I'll have gone about 2 1/2 years without a job. I don't know what my future employer will think of that.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

If your grades are good just say you wanted to devote yourself to your studies. If your grades aren't good, say you needed to devote yourself to your studies.

greg nice
07-19-2005, 04:19 PM
i dont plan on working anywhere that needs a resume

even if i was, i would be flat honest about it cause i probably could care less what they think. then i prob wouldnt get the job, which i wouldnt have wanted anyway. ah nevermind. i dont plan on working for the man.

baronzeus
07-19-2005, 04:21 PM
I'm kind of in the same boat. But I have a job on the side. I work till 7 everyday then play 2-3 hours of poker every day.

I don't understand, how much poker do you play?

Alpha13
07-19-2005, 04:29 PM
I play about 4-5 hours every day. I don't think I could maintain a job with school and playing poker, unless I cut down to like 10-15 hours a week

sdc
07-19-2005, 04:29 PM
As another poster explained it best, tell them...

"You worked w/ retards"

very admirable

Killer Man's Son
07-19-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
... By the time I get my degree I'll have gone about 2 1/2 years without a job. I don't know what my future employer will think of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going full time as an undergrad, you have nothing to worry about. If you are going full time as a grad, you have nothing to worry about. If you are going part-time as a grad, make something up.

My point is that full time (12+ hours) of study doesn't qualify as a hole in your resume. 6 hours with nothing else to show for it does. Grad students are expected to have other responsibilties unless they are full time students.

07-22-2005, 12:22 AM
Well you got to make the decision early on do I want to make playing poker a major and lengthly commitment, or prepare to get the best job possible after college is done with? Choosing both will hender you from excelling in one or the other.

Redd
07-22-2005, 12:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where the crap are you going to work that doesn't require a resume?

07-22-2005, 01:22 AM
i would suggest that you list poker on your resume. im not sure what school you go to, but at mine there is a poker club that sponsers tournaments, and they advocated the club by talking about how employers are looking for poker players. think about it, what skills do u learn from poker? analytical thinking, bankroll managing, dealing with stress, etc. you can list all those skills in the typical "resume style" way and it could turn out to be a bonus. and avoid downplaying it... mention how many hours per week you do it, the time you spend studying, the books you read, etc. if you're talented enough to do it full time, they must give you credit.

it depends on where you are applying for a job... in the business world it would not be looked down on at all, and might even be an icebreaker at the interview. obviously, any kind of religious or non-profit organization might object.

btw, its what i plan on doing.

Alpha13
07-22-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well you got to make the decision early on do I want to make playing poker a major and lengthly commitment, or prepare to get the best job possible after college is done with? Choosing both will hender you from excelling in one or the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

Option 2 easily, I have been playing since the beginning of the year (online and always seriously) I definitely can not see myself playing for another 3 years, I need a "real" job. To all you pros out there I don't know how you do it, you guys deserve all the money you make!

littlejohn
07-22-2005, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i would suggest that you list poker on your resume. im not sure what school you go to, but at mine there is a poker club that sponsers tournaments, and they advocated the club by talking about how employers are looking for poker players. think about it, what skills do u learn from poker? analytical thinking, bankroll managing, dealing with stress, etc. you can list all those skills in the typical "resume style" way and it could turn out to be a bonus. and avoid downplaying it... mention how many hours per week you do it, the time you spend studying, the books you read, etc. if you're talented enough to do it full time, they must give you credit.

it depends on where you are applying for a job... in the business world it would not be looked down on at all, and might even be an icebreaker at the interview. obviously, any kind of religious or non-profit organization might object.

btw, its what i plan on doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm afraid this just isn't true. I'm a poker player and a hirer, and I'm not even sure I would buy it. In particular, most positions require the ability to work as a team, in a workgroup environment, etc. You'll want to be sure you have those aspects covered on your resume in some way. Additionally, there's just no getting past the fact that we players are still in the minority, which means a large percentage of the people evaluating your resume and granting you an interview may not give you credit for making this leap from poker (in many cases you'll be up against the "gambling" perception) to high level analytical skills.

dealer_toe
07-22-2005, 03:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where the crap are you going to work that doesn't require a resume?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm guessing he wants to start his own business.

sthief09
07-22-2005, 04:32 AM
I solved that by getting a job

there are more important things than money and poker, and even if there aren't getting a job will help with the former while preventing burnout and hating the game caused by the latter

I'm pretty resentful right now that I got an internship instead of playing all summer, but I do think it's for the better

sthief09
07-22-2005, 04:36 AM
it's nice to think that this is true, but considering the fact that a company has to pay you for not working if you ever need to go to rehab, I don't think they're going to buy the "coke helps me work harder" or "poker makes my mind sharper" arguments

Khern
07-22-2005, 05:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]

even if i was, i would be flat honest about it cause i probably could care less what they think. then i prob wouldnt get the job, which i wouldnt have wanted anyway. ah nevermind. i dont plan on working for the man.

[/ QUOTE ]

best answer ever.

07-22-2005, 03:46 PM
I really wouldn't sweat it. You will be looking for an entry-level position, so you will be in the same boat as lots of other people who have very little experience, or experience that is not applicable to the position.

In addition to that, everyone has hobbies and often times employers are interested in these as well. I would definitely put it on my resume and wouldn't hesitate to talk about it in an interview. Undoubtedly, your analytical and decision-making skills are above average, or else you wouldn't be successful player.

Just don't let them get the impression that poker is more important than school or getting a job, even if that is true.

JKDStudent
07-22-2005, 04:05 PM
You didn't work because you wanted to focus on school. If they ask what you did for money (which they shouldn't, but they might), then you can just say you were self-employed. As a poker player, if you choose to disclose it.

Paxosmotic
07-22-2005, 08:31 PM
How about someone who had a steady job for 6 years and because of a time gap between when he plans to leave the job and when his girlfriend finishes grad school, plans to play poker for the 15 months inbetween? How does one cover that hole?