PDA

View Full Version : Finally Flip-Flops Being Mocked

HDPM
07-19-2005, 12:48 PM
Link HERE (http://www.courant.com/features/lifestyle/hc-flipflops.artjul18,0,5412390.story?&track=rss)

I can't believe how long it took for anybody to point out that flip-flops are not shoes that can be worn anywhere serious. It is bad enough to wear them anywhere but home, the shower, the pool, or the beach, but now people wear them to the White House to meet the President????? Unbelievable.

jakethebake
07-19-2005, 12:50 PM
I'm pretty sure it was pointed out here a couple of weeks ago.

RacersEdge
07-19-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure it was pointed out here a couple of weeks ago.

[/ QUOTE ]

It only took place a week ago.

HDPM
07-19-2005, 12:54 PM
well then, why are people still wearing them inappropritely? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

jakethebake
07-19-2005, 12:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
well then, why are people still wearing them inappropritely? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing stupidity.

Gallopin Gael
07-19-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Link HERE (http://www.courant.com/features/lifestyle/hc-flipflops.artjul18,0,5412390.story?&track=rss)

It is bad enough to wear them anywhere but home, the shower, the pool, or the beach, but now people wear them to the White House to meet the President????? Unbelievable.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be acceptable if they are the ones with the bottle openers on the bottom (http://www.buckle.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=8784&URL=%2Fjump. jsp%3FitemType%3DPRODUCT%26itemID%3D8784&code=SEAR CHDEX&code=SEARCHDEX).

shakingspear
07-19-2005, 01:08 PM
I can't believe how long it took for anybody to point out that flip-flops are not shoes that can be worn anywhere serious. It is bad enough to wear them anywhere but home, the shower, the pool, or the beach, but now people wear them to the White House to meet the President????? Unbelievable.

It would only be appropriate for this guy. (http://www.aquateencentral.com/characters.php#carl)

gorie
07-19-2005, 01:16 PM
i work at a professional photo lab and we laugh at this stuff all the time too. i like flip flops, but the idea of wearing them as 'dress shoes' is just stupid.
there are a lot of wedding photos that come through where bridesmaids are wearing flip flops with their dresses !! it just looks so bad.!

swede123
07-19-2005, 01:17 PM
I freakin' hate flip flops. My wife wears them alot, and then she starts bitching when she turns her ankle, stubs her toe, or otherwise has some sort of accident hobbling around on these moronic contraptions.

She bought me a pair and it seriously feel like they cut off the bloodflow to my big toe, causing it to fall off!!! At least when women wear high heels their legs look really hot, but there are no benefits to wearing flip flops.

Swede

TheIrishThug
07-19-2005, 01:25 PM
yes, flip flops r not formal etire, but of all the things wrong with the world this really doesn't need to be high on the list.

jakethebake
07-19-2005, 01:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yes, flip flops r not formal etire, but of all the things wrong with the world this really doesn't need to be high on the list.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but see it's a symptom.

lucas9000
07-19-2005, 01:31 PM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/nw/sports/w-lacros/05-w-lax-team-450w.jpg

(there is ms paint potential here)

RunDownHouse
07-19-2005, 01:50 PM
I'm pretty sure being this upset about it makes you gay.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Justin A
07-19-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

but there are no benefits to wearing flip flops.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean other than being extremely comfortable and very easy to put on and you don't need socks and they are perfect for hot weather and perfect for the beach and girls think guys look good in them and...

jakethebake
07-19-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You mean other than being extremely comfortable and very easy to put on and you don't need socks and they are perfect for hot weather and perfect for the beach and girls think guys look good in them and...

[/ QUOTE ]

The easy-on and no-socks are the only two on this list that are even true.

shant
07-19-2005, 02:04 PM
I don't understand people being mad about this. A lot of the guys I work with, and I myself, have worn flip flops to work. I guess we just have a relaxed workplace.

poker-penguin
07-19-2005, 02:04 PM
I have a pair of sports sandals that totally pwn flip flops.

Slip on entry, ability to do them up so I can run in them, plenty of toe protection.

Sandals rule.

I also go barefoot whenever possible.

James Boston
07-19-2005, 02:26 PM
1) I DJ'ed some high school proms a few months ago. I thought it was funny that many of the girls were in flip-flops by the time for the lead-out. I can see changing out of uncomfortable shoes for the dance, but not for the part where everyone is watching you. What's the point of dropping all that money on new high-heels if you only wear them for 5 minutes?

2) I've always heard that your feet have alot to do with how hot/cold you feel. I know several girls who, in the summer months, only wear flip-flops. They claim they're more comfortable and better for hot weather, yet if they step into a room with air-conditioning they are suddenly freezing and don't understand why.

Nottom
07-19-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

but there are no benefits to wearing flip flops.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I refuse to believe that anyone actually thinks someone looks good in flipflops. They are fine if you are at the beach, people wearing them around as real shoes are retarded.

Yeti
07-19-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No-one wants to see your feet. Trust me.

Sponger15SB
07-19-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You live in florida and you don't wear/like sandals??

Pathetic.

My roomate owns at least 15 different pairs of sandals. I've got like 5

jakethebake
07-19-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They are fine if you are at the beach, people wearing them around as real shoes are retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get this even. It's hard enough to walk in the sand w/o these damn things flopping around on your feet.

jakethebake
07-19-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you aware that not all sandals are flip flops?

Sponger15SB
07-19-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Pathetic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you aware that not all sandals are flip flops?

[/ QUOTE ]

No I guess I'm not. Care to enlighten me?

chaas4747
07-19-2005, 02:36 PM
I wear flip flops whenever possible, and appropriate. I have several nice pair that I can wear with nice shorts or jean, and a couple of "kick around" pair that I can wear when I am just messing around.
That being said, I would never wear them to a nice place to eat, or to an indoor party at someone's house that I do not know.

HDPM
07-19-2005, 02:40 PM
obviously at a dance you wear shoes you can dance in. You don't wear flip flops and you don't take your shoes off. If you can't dance in high heels you don't dance. Very simple. Teachers and parents need to teach teenagers these simple things.

jakethebake
07-19-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Teachers and parents need to teach teenagers these simple things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's half the problem right here. Parents need to teach their kids these things. It's not a teacher's job to teach kids how to dress and act. It gets forced on them because their parents don't give a damn.

HDPM
07-19-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand people being mad about this. A lot of the guys I work with, and I myself, have worn flip flops to work. I guess we just have a relaxed workplace.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flip flops are utterly inappropritate for work. Yes, I see people show up in them. But it is not acceptable. Try these at work. Appropriate Shoes At Work (http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchDisplayDetailView?storeId=1&langId=-1&contractId=100&catalogId=40000000001&parent_cate gory_rn=183&categoryId=189&productId=590000&imageT ype=1&occasion=189)

HDPM
07-19-2005, 02:47 PM
Obviously parents need to do this. However, when you see the product of neglectful parents (showing up at prom in flip flops is a sure sign your parents are inadequate /images/graemlins/wink.gif) teachers need to do something. High school dances are supervised and a teacher just needs to say "Put on your shoes." yes, I went to a school that required shoes at dances, not a big deal. Problem now is the teacher might be in flip flops.

Nick B.
07-19-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
obviously at a dance you wear shoes you can dance in. You don't wear flip flops and you don't take your shoes off. If you can't dance in high heels you don't dance. Very simple. Teachers and parents need to teach teenagers these simple things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somebody here doesn't like feet.

HDPM
07-19-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Somebody here doesn't like feet.

[/ QUOTE ]

feet on the right woman are OK. I know them when I see them. Let's just say 99.5% of flip flop wearers do not qualify under the exception. Many of the women with appropriate feet for flip flops also have the sense to wear real shoes anyway. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Obviously men can never wear flip flops except at home, in the shower, at the beach, or at the pool. No exceptions and no argument is possible. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

JaBlue
07-19-2005, 03:13 PM
my girlfriends call the useful manly hiking sandals with the straps over the mid portion of the foot "mandals." They hate them. They're idiots.

thatpfunk
07-19-2005, 03:15 PM
Threads like this make me really appreciate I live in CA and nowhere near middle America.

Wes ManTooth
07-19-2005, 03:17 PM
yes finally... I hate many things but the one thing i hate the most ... flip-flops

RunDownHouse
07-19-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Flip flops are utterly inappropritate for work. Yes, I see people show up in them. But it is not acceptable. Try these at work. Appropriate Shoes At Work

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Let's just say 99.5% of flip flop wearers do not qualify under the exception. Many of the women with appropriate feet for flip flops also have the sense to wear real shoes anyway.

Obviously men can never wear flip flops except at home, in the shower, at the beach, or at the pool. No exceptions and no argument is possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I retract my previous comment.

HDPM
07-19-2005, 04:09 PM
don't worry, the flip flop has taken over everywhere.

ddubois
07-19-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I live in Hawaii, everyone here wears flipsflops, sometimes even to work. I don't like walking in them, personally, because they always feel like they are going to fall off if I don't clench up my toes a certain way, so I'm with you on knocking "extremely comfortable".

But I don't know how anyone would could disagree with "perfect for hot weather", or "perfect for beach". As for "girls think guys look good in them" I don't think you are qualified to answer on that one - but my wife thinks they are sexy.

thatpfunk
07-19-2005, 04:20 PM
Yes but no one in CA is dumb enough to complain about it.

swede123
07-19-2005, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes but no one in CA is dumb enough to complain about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or everyone in CA are too dumb to complain about it. Let's face it, flip flops is a scam. It's a way for the shoe makers to sell us flimsy, non-durable shoes that require less material and time to make and cost as much as other footwear. Unless you own a shoe company flip flops are retarded.

Swede

JMP300z
07-19-2005, 04:33 PM
I love my rainbows....and I dont care if you dont.

I do have a problem w/ Mandals though.

-JP

jakethebake
07-19-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love my rainbows....and I dont care if you dont.

I do have a problem w/ Mandals though.

-JP

[/ QUOTE ]

You're clearly gay.

Gallopin Gael
07-19-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unless you own a shoe company flip flops are retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would agree with you 99% of the time, but my friend has a pair like I mentioned before.

Can you open a beer bottle with your shoes?

That is just cool.

private joker
07-19-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a relaxed workplace too, and I wear a t-shirt and sneakers to work. Sometimes shorts. But it's not the White House. I wouldn't wear a t-shirt to a *wedding*, let alone the White House.

(Even if the resident of said house earns very little of my respect).

swede123
07-19-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I would agree with you 99% of the time, but my friend has a pair like I mentioned before.

That is just cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, everything doesn't have to be built in...

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=vasque+sundowner/v=2/SID=w/l=IVI/SIG=12ngkli3d/EXP=1121892323/*-http%3A//www.shoestoboot.com/images/vasque/vasque_sd_classic_7935.jpg
+
http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=bottle+opener/v=2/SID=w/l=IVI/SIG=12ohik5ei/EXP=1121892387/*-http%3A//www.promotionalproducts.net/Graphics/chrome_bottle_opener.jpg

Swede

jakethebake
07-19-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

That is just cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, everything doesn't have to be built in...

http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=vasque+sundowner/v=2/SID=w/l=IVI/SIG=12ngkli3d/EXP=1121892323/*-http%3A//www.shoestoboot.com/images/vasque/vasque_sd_classic_7935.jpg + http://rds.yahoo.com/S=96062883/K=bottle+opener/v=2/SID=w/l=IVI/SIG=12ohik5ei/EXP=1121892387/*-http%3A//www.promotionalproducts.net/Graphics/chrome_bottle_opener.jpg

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. What if something happens to the shoe? Then you're out a perfectly good bottle opener, and vice versa. Much better separate. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

thatpfunk
07-19-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Or everyone in CA are too dumb to complain about it. Let's face it, flip flops is a scam. It's a way for the shoe makers to sell us flimsy, non-durable shoes that require less material and time to make and cost as much as other footwear. Unless you own a shoe company flip flops are retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

My flip-flops are my most comfortable footwear and they have a lifetime warranty, no questions asked.

Yes, us Californians sure are dumb... Comfort and durability are horrible!

jakethebake
07-19-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My flip-flops are my most comfortable footwear and they have a lifetime warranty, no questions asked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly you define comfort as having something wedged between your toes while wearing shoes that catch on things and don't allow you move efficiently. And I'm ignoring that irritating noise they make.

Gallopin Gael
07-19-2005, 04:58 PM
You're talking to a guy that has a cigar cutter on his Swiss Army pocket knife. Along with a bottle opener and a corkscrew

So I might not be the best person to make the "Keep things seperate" argument to. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

thatpfunk
07-19-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Clearly you define comfort as having something wedged between your toes while wearing shoes that catch on things and don't allow you move efficiently. And I'm ignoring that irritating noise they make.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this the demand of all your footwear? What in the world do you need to move efficiently for? That is what basketball/running/tennis shoes are for.

And I highly suggest you try a good pair on before you knock them. There is no way I would wear these ~200 days out of the year if they weren't insanely comfy.

jakethebake
07-19-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this the demand of all your footwear? What in the world do you need to move efficiently for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is. You never know.

JMP300z
07-19-2005, 05:57 PM
To me putting on sandals in the morning is like guessing whether or not you will be attacked today...If you feel lucky, by all means go with the sandals...but know that your assailant will most certainly have running shoes.

-JP

thatpfunk
07-19-2005, 06:15 PM
You go out every day worrying about being attached? Sheesh.

James Boston
07-19-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Problem now is the teacher might be in flip flops.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw that as well. Hell, I could hijack this thread on things I saw at those proms that bothered me. Nothing that kids that age do shocks or bothers me, as I am not that far removed, but teacher-condoned things that were taking place was what got me.

gorie
07-19-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Flip flops are utterly inappropritate for work. Yes, I see people show up in them. But it is not acceptable. Try these at work. Appropriate Shoes At Work (http://www.allenedmonds.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchDisplayDetailView?storeId=1&langId=-1&contractId=100&catalogId=40000000001&parent_cate gory_rn=183&categoryId=189&productId=590000&imageT ype=1&occasion=189)

[/ QUOTE ]
this obviously depends on where you work.

offTopic
07-19-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah, no. I'm not wearing $300 shoes in to work unless the either my company or the shoe company is paying me to wear them. Joe Schmoes who wear expensive shoes like that are just stupid. Better to wear some anonymous, unbranded flip-flops or something...

newfant
07-19-2005, 07:18 PM
I guess now that BigGaySteve is gone, somebody has to comment on stuff like this.

scalf
07-19-2005, 07:26 PM
/images/graemlins/laugh.gif but feast your thoughts on the lawsuits: a man wearing flipflops gets spiked in foot by high heeled babe; everyone knows this was a viscious attack on this man who is just being fashionable; big bucks here; and also; the partygiver should be sued for not placing signs around his house warning people of the dangers of wearing flipflops: ever notice a matchbook always has printed on it "close cover before striking."

hey big bucks here for an enterprising lawyer who is doing society a favour; by making life a little safer for all of us...

gl counselor

jmho

/images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif

poker-penguin
07-19-2005, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have nice feet (mind you opinion came from someone who wanted me to SIIHP so you might want to discount that).

gorie
07-19-2005, 09:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have nice feet (mind you opinion came from someone who wanted me to SIIHP so you might want to discount that).

[/ QUOTE ]
i feel dirty after reading that...

HDPM
07-20-2005, 11:28 AM
of course it does. Unless you work at the beach or pool as a lifeguard, flip-flops don't cut it. Let's just say I could easier work at burger king in dress shoes than somebody could show up at my job in flip flops. Also, I see some people being allowed to wear flip flops in work environments where it is a legitimate safety issue.

jakethebake
07-20-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Unless you work at the beach or pool as a lifeguard, flip-flops don't cut it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, if I'm drowning the last thing I want is some lifeguard tripping all over him-/herself in a pair of flip flops. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

HDPM
07-20-2005, 11:38 AM
actually you are better off buying 300 dress shoes. You can get them resoled at least once if not twice. The company in the link will do a refurbishing on their shoes for like 80 or 100. They last longer and are much better on your feet than 100-150 dress shoes. Shoes are something you want to spend some money on. You don't have to spend 500 on pimp shoes, but 300 on American made dress shoes is not outrageous when you wear them all the time. Spending 110 on bad dress shoes isn't a good deal.

chaas4747
07-20-2005, 11:40 AM
Did anyone else see this on Pardon the interruption last night?

Sponger15SB
07-20-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Unless you work at the beach or pool as a lifeguard, flip-flops don't cut it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, if I'm drowning the last thing I want is some lifeguard tripping all over him-/herself in a pair of flip flops. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're drowning, I can only hope a lifeguard trips all over themselves in a pair of flip flops.

Seriously though, it isn't that hard to walk/run with flip flopds on.

Also, can someone explain the difference between sandals and flip flops for me, I am confused. I always thought they were the same thing.

Phat Mack
07-20-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess this means the sock hop is extinct.

You can rock it,
you can roll it,
do the bop or even stroll it--
at the hop!
-Danny and the Juniors

RunDownHouse
07-20-2005, 11:50 AM
It made the showdown on Around the Horn as well.

touchfaith
07-20-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, can someone explain the difference between sandals and flip flops for me, I am confused. I always thought they were the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flip-flops just have the one thing in front for your toe. That's all that keeps it on your foot, hense the flip-flop of the heal...

Sandles have a strap for your heal and are basically open-air shoes.

I can't deal with flip-flops (on me), they just drive me nuts. Plus, I have farmer-feet from golfing too much with booty-socks on. My feet are whiter then my ass (that's white) although my legs are dark (dark), so the contrast is something I tend to avoid in public /images/graemlins/smile.gif

In California, flip-flops are basically shoes and most places allow them to work unless there is a safety reason to not allow them, but I have never seen an 'office environment' disallow them other then most financial institutions and places like that...

But...I still wouldn't wear them to The White House. Comeon, that's just disrespectful, even if it's just the Chimp in office. If nothing else...respect the biulding!

Wintermute
07-20-2005, 12:08 PM
The thing about flip-flops is that when a friend wears them to go out, he's basically telling you that he doesn't have your back tonight. If you get in a brawl, you know you can't count on him to jump in if he's wearing flip flops. Hell, he could stub a toe or roll an ankle.

Aside from that, I don't see the problem with wearing them to work or the white house. If you're not going to be playing a sport or kicking some ass, then who cares what's on your feet.

DMBFan23
07-20-2005, 12:12 PM
Reef sandals are the bomb. form fitting, comfortable as hell, and not douche-bag-ish.

sadly being just out of college, I'm finding fewer spots where Reefs are the footwear of choice.

Sponger15SB
07-20-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sadly being just out of college, I'm finding fewer spots where Reefs are the footwear of choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.comsiteswest.com/images/southern-california.gif

poker-penguin
07-20-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i feel dirty after reading that...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not my feet, if that helps.

BTW - I'd rather have the wearing flipflops they can kick off before entering the water than running shoes - which are a ***er to swim in.

Justin A
07-22-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The irritating noise only happens when idiots can't figure out how to walk correctly with them.

codewarrior
07-22-2005, 04:02 PM
Men's bare feet should never be seen in public. Ever. With the exception of the beach or pool.