PDA

View Full Version : $3-$5 is Standard in Vegas?

slickpoppa
07-19-2005, 12:01 PM
Yeah, another tipping thread, but this is about cab drivers. I was in Vegas for the ME and was taking a cab one night to a strip club when I was really drunk. The cab driver was a nice guy but was talking my ear off about the different strip clubs, poker, how I'm from DC, etc. He gave me a drink ticket for the strip club even though they give you one at the door anyway.

So the cab fare comes to $10 and I give him $12, and then as I am leaving he says: "Just so you know, cab drivers don't get paid like they do in DC and NY. All of our money comes from tips, so $3-$5 is standard in Vegas." Seriously, does this guy think I'm an idiot? I'm supposed to tip $5 for a $10 cab ride? Yeah, okay. And I don't appreciate gving someone a decent tip and then essentially being told that I am cheap.

I'm only 23, but I get the sense that tip whoring has become much worse in recent years. It's not until recently that you see tip jars at every single counter. This crap is getting out of control.

Al_Capone_Junior
07-19-2005, 12:10 PM
I tip cabbies whatever the hell I feel like, depending on their service. In all honesty, on a $10 ride for a nice cabby, I'd give 'em $3, but your $2 is NOT a travesty of american friggin' justice!

Although I am an advocate of "slightly larger than average tipping for poker dealers," /images/graemlins/grin.gif I agree that excessive tip jars are definitely getting out of control. Sorry, if I buy a friggin' 40oz mickey's at the corner ghetto market, I'M NOT LEAVING A TIP!

al

neotope
07-19-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So the cab fare comes to $10 and I give him $12, and then as I am leaving he says: "Just so you know, cab drivers don't get paid like they do in DC and NY. All of our money comes from tips, so $3-$5 is standard in Vegas." Seriously, does this guy think I'm an idiot? I'm supposed to tip $5 for a $10 cab ride? Yeah, okay. And I don't appreciate gving someone a decent tip and then essentially being told that I am cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that happened to me I'd politely apologize as I pull a $5 bill out of my wallet and ask for my $2 back. As I get the $2 back I will put it in my pocket with the $5 as I close the door.

MonkeeMan
07-19-2005, 01:13 PM
On my last Vegas trip the fare was like $10 and I handed the cabbie a $20 and asked if he had $5 change. He looked at the $20 and said "This is a $100" and handed it back to my blind ass.

It's all about the karma baby.

KenProspero
07-19-2005, 01:27 PM
At least one travel guid recommends 15% to cabbies.

Frommer's Recommendation (http://www.frommers.com/destinations/lasvegas/0013020013.html)

The "Unofficial" guide has a slightly different system (basically rounding up to the next dollar than adding a buck or two), however, it does say that if it's a very short trip and the cabbie has waited on line to give more, to make up for the fact that he's waited on line.

By and large 15% or so seems right, and none of my cabbies has complained with that.

Ilovephysics
07-19-2005, 06:04 PM
I would say 'it depends':

1) There are a few times when the way a cab driver *can* drive makes a difference... e.g., from the Venetian to the MGM Grand, I suppose one could go via the strip or 'behind' the strip on Koval Ln... the Koval way is a bit longer mileage wise, but I think it can certainly be faster at times during the day... First-timers probably would want to go via the strip, though, which can sometimes leave some feeling 'cheated'... even though the strip way can be longer time wise and possibly cost them more...

1a) I think many cabbies, even the bad ones, pretty much know when they are close to a bad tip..., e.g., when they know that someone can just leave a $10 bill... Amazing when you (as a passenger) start to notice when that thought 'clicks', and they put the pedal to the metal to maximize their tip under the $10... I might tip better if it is very obvious they are now driving *for* a better tip.

2) Generally, if the cab doesn't have AC, that justifies a piss-poor tip... same with smelly cabs... There are a lot of nice cabs out there, and a lot of crap. I wouldn't feel bad about tipping the crappy cabs poorly, especially on the AC side when it is 100 degrees outside.

3) On average, I think $3-4 is pretty standard.

4) My best cab ride was to the LV airport last year. I had a driver going 80 down the strip with a cop behind. The driver noticed the cop about half-way to the airport, too busy talking up the strip club perk he got the night before. Best part of my last trip to vegas.

The Goober
07-20-2005, 04:05 AM
yeah, I generally just round up and 2 bucks, or maybe one if its a short trip (but I don't live in vegas).

One time when I'll tip more is if I call the cab to come get me, and then take a shortish ride, especially if its away from downtown. I figure the cabby is losing money during the time he's driving to pick me up, and then again driving back into a more popular area.

SinCityGuy
07-20-2005, 04:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, if I buy a friggin' 40oz mickey's at the corner ghetto market, I'M NOT LEAVING A TIP!

al

[/ QUOTE ]

The most laughable place I saw a tip jar was at Domino's Pizza. I told the cashier I'd tip him $5, as long as he tipped me $5 for picking up the pizza instead of having it delivered.