PDA

View Full Version : lost in london

rt1
07-19-2005, 09:52 AM
so im in london, no idea how to get around or anything. long story, i need to buy an ipod, however, i cant find any bestbuys / electronics stores / whatevers. so if anyone knows a place where i can get one please please please let me know. i am in kensington, near the park thing. cheers mates!

diebitter
07-19-2005, 09:59 AM
nearest place I can think of would he High Street Kensington. There might be a dixons or currys on the main street, or failing that, there's a big dept store called Barbers or similar on High St Ken.

If you're on the tube, tottenham court road is a good stopping place for electronic stuff.

rt1
07-19-2005, 10:02 AM
awesome! thank you!

are these prices competitive to US prices (i know everything is sooooooo jacked up over here). Not that it matters, but what price should I look for? 200 pounds?

TylerD
07-19-2005, 10:04 AM
20GB iPod is about £210 at its cheapest ~ $370

daveymck
07-19-2005, 10:27 AM
I would 2nd the tottenham court road suggestion but of looking for a bargain I would wait till I got home our exchange rate will mean its quite a bit more than in the States.

diebitter
07-19-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
awesome! thank you!

are these prices competitive to US prices (i know everything is sooooooo jacked up over here). Not that it matters, but what price should I look for? 200 pounds?

[/ QUOTE ]

No not at all, prices are terrible - but I think you might be able to claim the VAT back (17.5%)

stigmata
07-19-2005, 10:46 AM
Bottom of Tottenham court road is the place for electronics. I have heard some bad stories about some of the smaller merchants, but there are brand name shops there too.

spamuell
07-19-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have heard some bad stories about some of the smaller merchants

[/ QUOTE ]

Like what? I've found them to be pretty typical salesmanish when talking to them, they'll play up features which are standard and try to offer you a ridiculously high price, but I've never bought anything off them.

Vavavoom
07-19-2005, 11:29 AM
I go down Tottenham Court Road all the time...

Pay Cash......Always....
Say u have been offered the good(s) at another store for £40-£xx less than the store u are in.......or that they threw in accesories.....

U can get bargains down Tottenham Court Road......Just be careful in these shops.......They prefer cash to move the products.....so remember this when they are trying the sell......

stigmata
07-19-2005, 11:39 AM
Like not taking returns on faulty goods. This is second hand knowledge though, so make of it what you will.

I like the computer market under the American Church. Is that still running? Man that place used to make me feel like I was normal. Some bargains to be had, too.