PDA

View Full Version : Swings on the 6 max 5/10

Michaelson
07-19-2005, 08:56 AM
hello all, first post.

A bit of ground clearing first. I have never really taken poker that seriously. I have played for over a year, B&M and online. I haven't kept records in the past, but I am clearly to the good over that time. I know some people convince themselves of that, but I just am. I managed to pay my rent up front for six months by playing the Party 5/10 6max tables over summer.

Anyhow, I very recently started to take it all a bit more seriously. I have been three tabling 5/10 on Party for four hours a day. Now since taking it more seriously I have experienced massive swings. Having worked my way up the limits with relative ease, I have ever since fluctuated betweek 3K and 5K. What concerns me most is that the swings are so protracted. For three days I'll absolutely kill the game, and then for another three I'll get demolished. Is this normal? Do the swings of 2BB/100 players look like this?

I ask because, though at the time it just seems as though everything's going against me (can't hit a draw, sets won't fill up etc.), I can't escape the feeling that when I'm down on confidence my game deteriorates badly. Like I say, I feel at the time as though it doesn't. I feel as though I'm maintaining composure, but my chips just keep disappearing. Then things will turn around and I'll tear it up.

I wonder if anyone has any comments or advice? Is this just normal variance, or should I be concerned?

drewjustdrew
07-19-2005, 09:09 AM
It's like looking in a mirror.

I am probably not quite a 2BB player, but I have the same experience as you at the same limit. I fluctuate every 500 hands probably +- 50 BBs. I've only been tracking it the last 10 sessions or so though.

unimproved
07-19-2005, 09:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For three days I'll absolutely kill the game, and then for another three I'll get demolished. Is this normal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much, I'm afraid. 6max is super swingy.

Michaelson
07-19-2005, 09:17 AM
I'm still most interested to hear what others have to say, but that is music to my ears.

sy_or_bust
07-19-2005, 09:21 AM
Check out Heads Up and Shorthanded.

ArturiusX
07-19-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm still most interested to hear what others have to say, but that is music to my ears.

[/ QUOTE ]

The HUSH forums is the place to be.

Michaelson
07-19-2005, 10:02 AM
thanks, I just reposted over there. Let the moderators do with this post what they will.

DMBFan23
07-19-2005, 10:11 AM
try searching for "the 6max graph thread", it will put ALL your fears at ease and more

EDIT: Here you go (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2585388&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=1&vc=1)

Michaelson
07-19-2005, 10:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
try searching for "the 6max graph thread", it will put ALL your fears at ease and more

EDIT: Here you go (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=2585388&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&fpart=1&vc=1)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I just found that. It did put my mind to rest initially, until I saw players with >3BB over 50,000 hands who's graphs looked like they were drawn with a ruler.

sy_or_bust
07-19-2005, 10:48 AM
Well, that's what a 150BB downswing looks like in long run perspective.