PDA

View Full Version : 800 chips, what the christ post-flop?

brimstone1
07-19-2005, 08:48 AM
You get 800 chips, level 1.
At level 3, without playing, you're left with either 730, or 655 if you've paid the level 3 blinds.

You're in MP3, you look down and see K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, with one limper from EP, you think 175 will do it.
Limper and BB both call.
Flop comes empty (XYZr), no straight, no face cards, nothing.

But, at this point, you're left with a stack between 480-555, the pot is 550, and it seems you have the best hand.

A continuation bet (well, since you "hit", or it seemas as if no one else did, its more like a value bet) of 1/2, 3/4th of the pot contradicts the 40% rule, and you have to go all-in.

How can you size up your opponents if you have absolutely 0 elbow room on the flop? How can you know if they're holding anything at all? Even a probe bet of 1/3rd (why probe on a XYZr flop with a giant overpair?) of the pot would mean putting 33% to 38% of your stack in, and it will allow your opponents to draw.

We play weak-tight in the first rounds, and when we do get a hand we want to play, its like we have only 1 bullet in the chamber.

So, what to do?

Raise more pre-flop? Then its even worse, you're left with half a bullet.

Play looser in the first 3 rounds, try picking up small pots or go for straight/flushes from MP2+ with at least 2-3 limpers? Try to build a stack before level 3?

Freudian
07-19-2005, 08:54 AM
Screw the rules. On a flop like that I will put in a smaller bet to induce calls.

USCSigma1097
07-19-2005, 09:15 AM
I pop in a bet of two fifty, and call the all in raise. the 800 chippers are difficult like that, as if you play tight the first three rounds (like you should) you are usually going to be one of the lower stacks by round three, as at least three donks have usually busted. However, one double up or a decent sized pot like this will usually get your Q back up to snuff, and leave you with plenty of M to go to war with.

Sigma

pergesu
07-19-2005, 09:17 AM
There's no rule that says you have to push if pot committed when you have by far the best hand. Just spread your push across 2-3 streets /images/graemlins/smile.gif

brimstone1
07-19-2005, 09:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I pop in a bet of two fifty, and call the all in raise. the 800 chippers are difficult like that, as if you play tight the first three rounds (like you should) you are usually going to be one of the lower stacks by round three, as at least three donks have usually busted. However, one double up or a decent sized pot like this will usually get your Q back up to snuff, and leave you with plenty of M to go to war with.

Sigma

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly my point, only a more positive kick to it.

You're assuming you win the showdown.

I'm trying to say that it shouldn't come down to 1 hand like that, and asking if there's something one can do to not make it come down to that "1" hand that will get you back up on your feet.

45suited
07-19-2005, 09:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to say that it shouldn't come down to 1 hand like that, and asking if there's something one can do to not make it come down to that "1" hand that will get you back up on your feet.

[/ QUOTE ]

What's up Brimstone? You should be perfectly happy to let your tournament ride on a raised pot with KK that flops rags. Take their money, no need to push the flop.