PDA

View Full Version : A road trip to Mexico... Quite the experience....

Deuce2High
07-19-2005, 08:22 AM
WOW. I took a sick road trip to Mexico with some of my friends. We live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and decided to drive to Acapulco, Mexico. Apparently anyone who wants to drive their own car across the border needs to have the title and it needs to be in their exact name. Since none of us owned our own cars I took my dads. I have the same first/last name as my dad so it ended up working. Anyways, I'll share my experiences with you all. One of my friends that went with us grew up in Mexico City so he was basically our lifeline.

Crossing the border...
Well, it's not really that bad. If we didn't have my friend with us though, it probably would have been a lot harder. He had done it before so we let him drive. The first thing I noticed was that the stop signs there don't really mean anything. People don't stop at them. Ever. At nighttime most people don't even stop at stop lights. We had to register my car and pay a deposit and basically sign a contract that we wouldn't sell it while we were over there. Nuevo Laredo is a ghetto [censored] city. Everything about it is shady. Don't even think about stopping there for anything. If you need money get it before you cross because none of the ATMs there have cash and you will probably get jumped anyways. My Mexican friend told me that there are drug wars going on in this town involving two gangs that are trying to control the Mexican side of the border. At night time the city is EMPTY because no one even thinks about walking around. If you do see someone walking around the have their hand tucked in their shirt like they are holding a gun. We got on the main highway to go to Monterrey. That was our first stop to pick up another one of our friends. The first toll on the highway was $20 American. Pretty rediculous.

Monterrey...
Monterrey was a bit nicer of a city. It has its ghetto parts of course but for the most party it is much more metropolitan. There are actually office buildings. Most of them belonged to the college there, Monterrey Tech. The college is beautiful. My friend told me that there are wild animals that roam the campus, such as deer and wild birds. They are all friendly and taken care of. We got pulled over in Monterrey because one of my other friends was driving and made an illegal U-turn. My Mexican friend talked to the cops for a little bit, then gave them $5 American and they left.

Mexico City...
We then drove for a long time until we reached Mexico City. Wow. Driving into Mexico City was one of the most amazing sights. There are no suburbs. It is desert and then it is basically city. The whole horizon is city for as far as you can see. There is no 'downtown' area. The whole thing is one giant clusterfuck and there are buildings everywhere. There are huge areas of shacks where I couldn't believe people actually lived. People there drive like they are in Nascar. I couldn't drive at all in the City. My Mexican friend had to drive my car. We were in a Ford Expedition and I saw maybe one or two non-commercial vehicles that were bigger than mine in the whole city. Everyone drives very small cars, mostly Jettas, Bugs, or Sentras (but with a different name). And it is so obvious when you get into the city that there is no middle class. Every car you see there is either worth less than 25,000 or more than 65,000. The food in Mexico is great but I was cautioned by my friend not to drink the water. I wanted to get out of the city as fast as I can for the most part because I really thought that if we kept driving through it we were going to get in an accident. People there drive like state troopers on coke. Driving in Manhattan for me was a cakewalk compared to this city. I cannot stress enough how crazy these fuckers are behind the wheel.

Puebla...
After Mexico City we drove to Puebla. One of my friend's parents lived there so we went to their houses. This was really the first time I got to see what a Mexican house looked like. Let me tell you they are pretty beautiful. Most of the houses in Mexico are made of cement and are very boring looking on the outside. But the insides are very beautiful. My friend's house had a garden in the middle of the house, and there is no roof in the middle so the sun and fresh air go right in. Most peoples' houses in Mexico have open areas where there is no roof. I liked this a lot. After we left Puebla we went drove to Acapulco.

Acapulco...
Acapulco is awesome. The bay is beautiful and the beaches were awesome. When we got there we got a cheap condo instead of a hotel. It didn't have air conditioning but we were barely in it anyways. We went to the beach and there some of the teenage locals set us up with a tent and helped us with our stuff for about $20. My friends bought some weed (mota) from the locals. Wow it's cheap there. But very shitty. They have no idea what dro is down there at all. But it was decent anyways. We smoked J's on the beach and drank Coronas. It was very relaxing. Over a day of driving and we finally get to vacation. While we were on the beach I had my friend ask the local is they had any ecstasy. They brought back capsules and I was sure as hell not about to take capsules so I said nevermind to that. Weed and alchohol was good enough. We went to some clubs and had a lot of fun in Acapulco. We hooked up with an aquantiance of one of my Mexican friends and went to this huge mansion. I mean huge. It was on the beach and they had servants and huge ammounts of alcohol. The house must have been worth at least $10 mil american. It was the craziest house I have ever seen. We had a lot of fun in Acapulco and a lot of experiences.. too much to type here...

Highlights of the trip...
- Got pulled over 3 times and paid off the cops a total of $20 american to get off.
- Watched my friend's upper class aquantainces spend $1000 in the clubs over two nights because alcohol in the clubs is about $150 a handel.
- One day when we were out of money because we couldn't find any working ATMs we went to the supermarket with 40 pesos ($4) and stuffed ourselves.
- Watched the bouncers at the clubs turn away anyone who looked ghetto or like a native Acapulcan.
- Spent about $100 on tolls.
- Put about 4000 miles on the Expedition.
- Was really drunk and stoned the whole time
- Only had to pay $1.60 for a pack of cigarettes there
- Do not drive to Mexico unless you speak fluent Spanish or are going with someone who does
- Strangely, there are no black people in Mexico.
- I love Mexican tacos
- I hate the Mexican government
- God Bless America (in the least theological and racist way possible)

jakethebake
07-19-2005, 09:19 AM
This is quite funny. I grew up in Texas, lived down near the border some, and have spent a lot of time down there. And everything you worry about in this trip report or don't is almost the exact opposite of what I experienced.

1. Never take a car across the border unless you never want to see it again.
2. Speaking Spanish doesn't matter.
3. I'm curious as to what border town you were in because I've never had problems, althouigh I had heard the cartel wars were heating up again.
4. Illegal u-turn is whatever the policia want it to be.
5. I remember alcohol being very cheap.
6. You got off pretty easy on the payoffs only being pulled over 3 times and $20 is well-below the going rate I remember. Maybe because your friend was Mexican.

Funny how things change.

toss
07-19-2005, 09:38 AM
I've been down to Mexico a couple times before for spring break. Each time we went to Rosarito and rented a house by the sea for like $500. Theres a shitload of college students there at Springbreak and lots of clubs to handle them. We haven't been stopped by the cops yet, but we've been followed by one; I guess he was waiting for us to make a mistake. The tolls for us was only a few bucks for the highway we used.

The tacos are awesome as hell, the bar we go to is great, and you'll be fine as long as you avoid the really ghetto areas.

Deuce2High
07-19-2005, 11:28 AM
Yeah alcohol is really cheap, unless you go into the clubs. Both of the clubs we went to charged a shitload for alcohol. A handel of Bacardi was 1600 pesos. I got my car fully insured at the border for about 60 bucks. The border town we went to was Nuevo Laredo. We payed of the cops 50 pesos two times and 100 pesos one time when my friend ran a red light and we were all wasted. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

There are two tolls going to Monterrey that are like 20 bucks. The rest of them are from like 1-5. But we had to go through them all twice since we went there and back!

jakethebake
07-19-2005, 11:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A handel of Bacardi was 1600 pesos.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what this is.

Deuce2High
07-19-2005, 11:40 AM
1.5 liter glass bottle... 160 bucks in the club..

Dom Perignon was 6500 pesos for a bottle.

jakethebake
07-19-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1.5 liter glass bottle... 160 bucks in the club..

Dom Perignon was 6500 pesos for a bottle.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's crazy. What kind of clubs? Last time I was in Mexico drinks were really cheap, even in clubs.

Deuce2High
07-19-2005, 11:48 AM
One club I went to the name was in Spanish so I don't remember. The other club was Palladium. The prices for both clubs were the same. It costs like 30 bucks to get into the club and there is a free bar. All you have to do is tip the bartenders and you can get wasted for free all night. However if you want to get a table there is a required number of bottles you have to buy or something like that. My friend got two bottles of Bacardi and Jaeger and the bill was like 4500 pesos. Was a pretty sick club heres the website. www.palladium.com.mx (http://www.palladium.com.mx) Probably one of the nicest night clubs I have ever been to.

jakethebake
07-19-2005, 11:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One club I went to the name was in Spanish so I don't remember. The other club was Palladium. The prices for both clubs were the same. It costs like 30 bucks to get into the club and there is a free bar. All you have to do is tip the bartenders and you can get wasted for free all night. However if you want to get a table there is a required number of bottles you have to buy or something like that. My friend got two bottles of Bacardi and Jaeger and the bill was like 4500 pesos. Was a pretty sick club heres the website. www.palladium.com.mx (http://www.palladium.com.mx) Probably one of the nicest night clubs I have ever been to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf? $30 covers? You're sure you were in Mexico?

Deuce2High
07-19-2005, 11:52 AM
Where were YOU? Entrance covers open bar all night. My Mexican friend told me that the covers in Cancun were about the same unless you do a package. Where did you go and how much were you paying to get in?