PDA

View Full Version : Can religion be good even if it is in error?

PLOlover
07-19-2005, 07:33 AM
Case in point, famine.

If there was some worldwide catastrophe, say genetic engineering or something, and there was no food able to be grown for years, who would be more thankful for their religion than Mormons? Because of course part of their religion is for each family to have a multiyear stock of food.

David Sklansky
07-19-2005, 08:41 PM
Incorrect religion can be a good thing for many people. Maybe most. There are however some categories of people who gain less from religion than they would from knowing the truth. The most important of these categories are TWO PLUS TWOERS!

mosquito
07-19-2005, 09:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Incorrect religion can be a good thing for many people. Maybe most. There are however some categories of people who gain less from religion than they would from knowing the truth. The most important of these categories are TWO PLUS TWOERS!

[/ QUOTE ]

Standing up yet again for his beliefs. Gotta admire
that.

Even if there is some salesmanship involved....lol

drudman
07-19-2005, 09:54 PM
Anything can be good if it is in error. Are you trying to get at something non-trivial?

PLOlover
07-20-2005, 09:50 AM
No I was just talking to someone and he pointed out that I can think I am way smarter than some dumb believers, right up until the point where I am starving and gonna die, and they're not.

Made me stop and think, because to counter his example I would have to argue that nothing bad would ever happen.

Maybe I should go buy some sacks of rice at Cosco.

Dov
07-20-2005, 09:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No I was just talking to someone and he pointed out that I can think I am way smarter than some dumb believers, right up until the point where I am starving and gonna die, and they're not.

Made me stop and think, because to counter his example I would have to argue that nothing bad would ever happen.

Maybe I should go buy some sacks of rice at Cosco.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just silly.

Being prepared has nothing to do with religion. If you are prepared, you won't starve to death. The religion doesn't make you put on your seat belt, does it? Or put those grip stickers in the bath tub? Or quit smoking?

This whole concept is just ridiculous.

I think you misunderstood what he was saying.

He was insulting you and you took the bait - hook, line, and sinker.