PDA

View Full Version : Are HUD displays useful?

kurosh
07-19-2005, 05:50 AM
I'm taking a break from limit to play some NL SNGs. Are the HUD displays like PV and GT+ of any use here? For party, since it's only 10 hands a limit, it seems like you'd need to play with them a lot to get any sort of decent stats on them. Does anyone use them?

pergesu
07-19-2005, 05:55 AM
I don't think they're very useful. You might though, who knows.

Thought party was cracking down on those things anyway.

HesseJam
07-19-2005, 06:08 AM
I used them a lot on the ring games and they are mainly useful when multitabling to see what the tone of the table is. For me they are a bit overrated and I think many players use them because they think that they give them more control over the table than they actually have. I am using them less now.

I never use them for SnGs.

clutch
07-19-2005, 06:22 AM
I used PT and PV for the last 8 months or so that I played limit ring. I switched to SNG's 6 or 7 weeks ago and haven't used them at all since my first session. I don't think the stats are nearly as useful for reads in SNG's.

kurosh
07-19-2005, 06:25 AM
So what do the people who 8-table and 12-table do? Just pay attention to all the tables?

curtains
07-19-2005, 06:26 AM
I think its a huge waste of time and energy using them and could turn out to be misleading.

KingDan
07-19-2005, 06:28 AM
On a borderline decision, I just skim through the hand history box.

EasilyFound
07-19-2005, 06:54 AM
what is HUD? i'm not familiar with that acronym.

kurosh
07-19-2005, 06:55 AM
Heads-up display.

EasilyFound
07-19-2005, 07:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Heads-up display.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, but I now I don't understand what people are talking about. What is a Heads-up display?

pergesu
07-19-2005, 07:46 AM
It's another program that draws more stuff on the party/empire/etc windows. Usually opponents stats like how many hands they play, how often they raise, etc. The Zoo will have plenty of info.

EasilyFound
07-19-2005, 07:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's another program that draws more stuff on the party/empire/etc windows. Usually opponents stats like how many hands they play, how often they raise, etc. The Zoo will have plenty of info.

[/ QUOTE ]

You run it while you are playing I gather?

cain06
07-19-2005, 08:57 AM
Yes, and it overlays (paints over) the screen with the statistics of your opponents near their name (or wherever you move the boxes).

fnord_too
07-19-2005, 09:06 AM
I use one and find it useful, but not hugely useful. If in the middle rounds I have 40 hands total on someone and see that they have limped in 16% of the time and raised 0% then they fire a raise in the CO and I am on the button, I muck something like AQ or 88 (even JJ probably) pretty quickly. If the same person raised 15% of the time, I am probably pushing to isolate them. I 8 table, so I would probably be hard pressed without the HUD to know in the first case that the person had been a complete rock so far and could easily make a mistake there and take way the worst of it.

If I had to guess, I would say it comes in handy on about 3% of my decisions, and very handy in less than 1%, but those are just wild guesses.

Freudian
07-19-2005, 09:13 AM
I agree that they are useful, but they are only one part of the puzzle. It gives a very rough sketch of my opponent.

But I definately have used it to call an all-in from a maniac where I would have folded otherwise etc.

Of course most players change pace during a SnG and you have to pay attention to it. Rocks starts pushing crap and donks tighten up when on the bubble.

wildzer0
07-19-2005, 09:13 AM
Because most players don't really adjust their game as time goes on, you can usually get a pretty accurate feel for the players in the first few rounds when you're folding almost everything anyway - even 8-tabling. There's a decent amount of downtime in the beginning to get to know your opponents.

clutch
07-19-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So what do the people who 8-table and 12-table do? Just pay attention to all the tables?

[/ QUOTE ]

I 4-table SNG's now and plan on moving to 6 and then 8 tables pretty soon and can't imagine that they will be of any use.

Nottom
07-19-2005, 04:43 PM
I use PV, but really only so I can see who I have played with a few times so I can pay a little more attention to them since its more likely I will run into them again.

The Yugoslavian
07-19-2005, 04:50 PM
I sometimes use Poker Office for this....the thing is, VPIP isn't necessarily a helpful metric unless you already have played with a player and know whether he's loose early or late or both or whatever....

I find the most useful metric is preflop raise %. It will help me keep an eye on players who I probably have the best opportunity to play back at with my good but not great hands.

It's far from necessary to have the stats available though...*much* more important in limit.

Yugoslav

lacky
07-19-2005, 05:37 PM
your either very funny or very misguided, cant decide.

Steve

Slim Pickens
07-19-2005, 06:56 PM
I'm lost without PV. Really. My decision when facing a min-re-raise from the BB after I've raised JJ UTG+1 is totally different if the re-raiser has a VPIP of 50% and a PFR of 25% than if he's 12.5% and 10%.