PDA

View Full Version : Napoleon Dynamite

krazyace5
07-19-2005, 05:38 AM
Finally got around to watching this garbage, how does something this bad get so much hype?

battschr
07-19-2005, 05:39 AM
Thought it was pretty funny, but certainly overrated.

UCF THAYER
07-19-2005, 05:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Finally got around to watching this garbage, why do people like me keep starting a thread about the same topic?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

DasLeben
07-19-2005, 05:57 AM
I hated this movie the first time I watched it. But, I realized that it was because I was watching it with the wrong people. I was watching it with people that said they'd "heard it sucked," which didn't really make for a very entertaining crowd.

The second time I saw it, I saw it with my buds with twisted and random senses of humor like mine, and I loved it. It's all about the company you're in.

sexdrugsmoney
07-19-2005, 06:00 AM
I watched half of this ages ago and thought it was utter trash.

Months later I watched it again and enjoyed it.

Let that be a lesson to you.

krazyace5
07-19-2005, 07:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Finally got around to watching this garbage, why do people like me keep starting a thread about the same topic?

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[/ QUOTE ]

So people like you can use worn out, overused, tired, and worthless replies.

UCF THAYER
07-19-2005, 08:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1907264&page=&view=&s b=5&o=
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=exchange&Number=240968 9&Forum=

[/ QUOTE ]
FMP
[ QUOTE ]

So people like you can use worn out, overused, tired, and worthless replies.

[/ QUOTE ]

cpitt398
07-19-2005, 08:58 AM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a389/cpitt398/uncle_ricowned.jpg

09-16-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hated this movie the first time I watched it. But, I realized that it was because I was watching it with the wrong people. I was watching it with people that said they'd "heard it sucked," which didn't really make for a very entertaining crowd.

The second time I saw it, I saw it with my buds with twisted and random senses of humor like mine, and I loved it. It's all about the company you're in.

[/ QUOTE ]

So your likes and dislikes are dictated by those you're around. That is sad.

jakethebake
09-16-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You bumped a thread from July to make that comment? That is sad.

09-16-2005, 12:52 PM
I thought it was an original, funny movie. At least its not the same tired Hollywood retreaded garbage. If I hear about another movie that is a remake, I'll . . . I'll . . . I don't know what I'll do, but I won't be happy.

HopeydaFish
09-16-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Finally got around to watching this garbage, how does something this bad get so much hype?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it was no "Blair Witch Project"...

Blarg
09-16-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very true of comedies in general. Also horror movies. The environment and your own mood going in is at least half the experience.

09-16-2005, 12:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You bumped a thread from July to make that comment? That is sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought it needed to be said, plus I'm drunk.

InchoateHand
09-16-2005, 01:03 PM
Okay, you are "drunk," posting about it on 2+2 and wanting to discuss Napoleon Dynamite?

You are today's victor, in the who deserves this photo contest:

http://www.interniche.org/gallery/rat.jpg

jakethebake
09-16-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay, you are "drunk," posting about it on 2+2 and wanting to discuss Napoleon Dynamite threads from three months ago?

[/ QUOTE ]

HopeydaFish
09-16-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, it's noon. Have you considered AA?

FouTight
09-16-2005, 01:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No poker content!

swede123
09-16-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No poker content!

[/ QUOTE ]

Now this made me laugh out loud. Good job, man.

Swede

Blarg
09-16-2005, 01:59 PM
Not bad, went over my head at first. Then I caught it metaphorically, and finally realized AA stood for a hand.

HopeydaFish
09-16-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No poker content!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL...thanks, I needed the laugh. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

DasLeben
09-16-2005, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true for everyone, and I don't care how much you want to deny it. While likes and dislikes are certainly not dictated by others (read my post carefully), the atmosphere around you certainly affects the mood of the movie. To think that you somehow live in a vacuum and nothing else affects you just makes you more of a tool.

Example: Say that I get pissed off at you and punch you in the face. Immediately afterwards, we sit down and watch Super Troopers (or whatever funny-ass movie of your choice). Are you going to enjoy it as much, considering I just punched your dumbass in the face? QED, moran.

Oh, and don't necropost.

B Dids
09-16-2005, 05:44 PM
For people who (correctly) love this movie.

Utah State Fair Adds (http://rapidshare.de/files/5179431/Napoleon.wmv.html)

jokerthief
09-16-2005, 07:50 PM
This movie has really suble humor. I never really laughed that hard but I thought it was funny all the way through. It's never really really funny but just kind of a constant funny--except for the dancing scene. I can see many personalitys disliking this movie though.

CourtesyFlush
09-16-2005, 11:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, thanks Dids.

JihadOnTheRiver
09-16-2005, 11:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be shot. I am grossly offended.

CourtesyFlush
09-16-2005, 11:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I went searching and this site has the third commercial, as well as the radio ads.

Link (http://jakehilton.com/2005/09/02/napoleon-dynamite-videos/)

TheCroShow
09-17-2005, 02:57 AM
i did not like this movie the first time i watched it, i thought it was a sad story...not sad as in "man that movie sucked ass!!" sad as in "man i feel bad for napolean dynamite."

then you pick up on the subtle humour and WHY IS IT SO FUNNY?? who knows?!??! example: kip says to the nerdy girl "your mom goes to college." his sneer, his cockiness, his delivery is perfect and it's funny for some reason, it's so random! and napoleon's take on what girls like, "girls only want boyfriends that have skills, you know like: numchuck (sp? i know it's wrong, someone FMP) skills, computer hacking skills...." that little bit makes me chuckle/laugh...so many tiny little funny parts add up. nothing slapstick, nothing had me falling off my couch, but so many little jokes and gestures made me laugh

Blarg
09-17-2005, 03:37 AM
Listening to descriptions of the movie, it reminds me of the way people describe the book written by the guy who did the RealUltimatePower site. Sounds like such a simliar feel I wonder if that was the inspiration.

The book was supposedly pretty different from the site. But still kinda sad and funny and pathetic, but then somehow strangely affirmative in the end. Or so they seem to say.

I've got it in from Netflix yesterday. I think I'll watch it now. The RealUltimatePower book is on my list.

Dynasty
09-29-2005, 08:03 PM
Apparently, I'm going to have to watch this movie a second time before I get any significant enjoyment out of it? I'm not looking forward to that.

diebitter
09-29-2005, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's never really really funny but just kind of a constant funny--except for the dancing scene.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still can't work out if the dancing is completely spazzy or really, really good. Opinions from the NapDyn lovers?

I think some polltard needs to do a poll maybe.

MyTurn2Raise
09-29-2005, 08:08 PM
sorry...I've met my poll quota for the week

diebitter
09-29-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
sorry...I've met my poll quota for the decade

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP

TheCroShow
09-30-2005, 05:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's never really really funny but just kind of a constant funny--except for the dancing scene.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still can't work out if the dancing is completely spazzy or really, really good. Opinions from the NapDyn lovers?

I think some polltard needs to do a poll maybe.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think the first bit is really good, the rest is clearly for comedic value

jesusarenque
10-13-2005, 02:43 PM
6/10

drewjustdrew
10-13-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true for everyone, and I don't care how much you want to deny it. While likes and dislikes are certainly not dictated by others (read my post carefully), the atmosphere around you certainly affects the mood of the movie. To think that you somehow live in a vacuum and nothing else affects you just makes you more of a tool.

Example: Say that I get pissed off at you and punch you in the face. Immediately afterwards, we sit down and watch Super Troopers (or whatever funny-ass movie of your choice). Are you going to enjoy it as much, considering I just punched your dumbass in the face? QED, moran.

Oh, and don't necropost.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same experience with Raising Arizona. I watched it with my parents and it was kinda uncomfortably unfunny (same experience with Royal Tannenbaums). Then I watched it with my wife, who is a huge fan and thought it was really funny. (Saw RT with her the first time, so doubt I will ever see it again to figure out if it gets better).

For the fans - memorable quotes from Napoleon Dynamite (http://imdb.com/title/tt0374900/quotes)

battschr
10-13-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
6/10

[/ QUOTE ]

10-13-2005, 05:34 PM
You gotta watch this movie more than once. it gets funnier each time. You also have to be willing to laugh at the absurdity of it and the subtle humor.

My favorite part
When Uncle Rico throws Kip's steak and hits Napoleon in the face on the bike. Go frame by frame like the Zapruder tape in the Kennedy Assasination and you will instantly love this movie. To fully appreciate this bit you must add lines as you are pausing like:

"Here in frame 74 you clearly see an absence of a meat missle, yet now in frame 75, the beefy projectile is clearly visible. Looking to Napoleon for visual cues of his knowledge of imminent contact with a fast moving protein based object indicates no prior knowledge. Thus it is safe to conclude that the movie's director unleashed the steak on an unsuspecting Napoleon for, as of yet, some unknown reason"

You gotta believe.

LLL

CrazyEyez
10-13-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You gotta watch this movie more than once. it gets funnier each time. You also have to be willing to laugh at the absurdity of it and the subtle humor.

My favorite part
When Uncle Rico throws Kip's steak and hits Napoleon in the face on the bike. Go frame by frame like the Zapruder tape in the Kennedy Assasination and you will instantly love this movie. To fully appreciate this bit you must add lines as you are pausing like:

"Here in frame 74 you clearly see an absence of a meat missle, yet now in frame 75, the beefy projectile is clearly visible. Looking to Napoleon for visual cues of his knowledge of imminent contact with a fast moving protein based object indicates no prior knowledge. Thus it is safe to conclude that the movie's director unleashed the steak on an unsuspecting Napoleon for, as of yet, some unknown reason"

You gotta believe.

LLL

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow.

I applaud your enthusiasm.

Blarg
10-13-2005, 05:54 PM
I want to give this movie another chance, because some parts of it are kind of fun, but I didn't laugh much at all during it, and was often kind of annoyed, as Napoleon just seemed so far off base he was hard to believe as a character. I could tell it was a real labor of love and an imaginative individual take on things, but I didn't groove on the personal vision much.

Maybe I would like it more the second time around. Lots of people say it gets better and better.

Blarg
10-13-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

My favorite part

You gotta believe.

LLL

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus, couldn't you just do this with Sleepless in Seattle or something? It sounds like you're making your own movie in your head that you could attach any random pictures to and get a perfect fit.

Or maybe like you slipped and skidded off the top of the movie.

10-13-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Jesus, [i] couldn't you just do this with Sleepless in Seattle or something? [i] It sounds like you're making your own movie in your head that you could attach any random pictures to and get a perfect fit.

Or maybe like you slipped and skidded off the top of the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was unaware that Sleepless in Seattle had flying Ribeyes.

LLL

10-13-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I want to give this movie another chance, because some parts of it are kind of fun, but I didn't laugh much at all during it, and was often kind of annoyed, as Napoleon just seemed so far off base he was hard to believe as a character. I could tell it was a real labor of love and an imaginative individual take on things, but I didn't groove on the personal vision much.

Maybe I would like it more the second time around. Lots of people say it gets better and better.

[/ QUOTE ]

My High School graduating class was approximately 175 and we had 4-5 Napoleons, and 6-7 Kips.

"Tina you fat lard, come get your dinner!"

How many movies set in Idaho feature a llama? This is some quality crap.

LLL

swede123
10-13-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By about the fourth time you watch it you will completely love it. Or I'll give you your money back!

Swede

Blarg
10-13-2005, 06:37 PM
I was unaware that Napoleon Dynamite was anything like the Zapruder flick or that inventing your own stories alongside a movie is even watching a movie at all.

More power to you, though, if you enjoy that. Get your joy where you find it. Just seemed really out of left field to me.

Blarg
10-13-2005, 06:46 PM
After four watchings, I damn well better think he's Jesus, or I'll be pissed.

10-13-2005, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was unaware that Napoleon Dynamite was anything like the Zapruder flick or that inventing your own stories alongside a movie is even watching a movie at all.

More power to you, though, if you enjoy that. Get your joy where you find it. Just seemed really out of left field to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be jealous Blarg , just because I've been chatting on-line with babes all day.

Blarg
10-13-2005, 06:54 PM
You're never gonna be a cage fighter if you don't get off that computer.

10-13-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're never gonna be a cage fighter if you don't get off that computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

"cage fighter? you have like the worst reflexes of all time!"

LLL

jon_1van
10-13-2005, 07:13 PM
If strongly believe that if you like Aqua Teen Hunger Force you will also like Napolean Dynamite....and vice versa.

It pretty much is a love/hate kinda thing.

Duffman
10-13-2005, 08:25 PM
This movie is awesome but you have to take it for what it is: funny. Nothing more, nothing less. If you try to get something out of this movie other than laughter you won't enjoy it.

If this was posted already, my bad. I didn't read the replies.

10-14-2005, 11:46 AM
Duffman. I see your location is getting raped at 1/2. Is that like getting raped at 7/11?

LLL

drewjustdrew
10-14-2005, 11:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If strongly believe that if you like Aqua Teen Hunger Force you will also like Napolean Dynamite....and vice versa.

It pretty much is a love/hate kinda thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. I love Napoleon, hate ATHF.