PDA

View Full Version : A play I sometimes use.

Nottom
07-19-2005, 03:22 AM
This is at a 100+9 but I don't think level matters much here.

I have 3K and am the chip leader with 6 players, I'm in the SB.

The BB is an average player with around 1000 chips.

Blinds are 25/50.

Folded to me with AK and I push.

Thoughts?

curtains
07-19-2005, 03:24 AM
Honestly I almost never have a big problem playing like this with AKo. I admit I wouldnt do this, but I don't think it's terrible or anything by any means.

Nottom
07-19-2005, 03:40 AM
How weak could I go before you don't like it?

TT? AJ?

I think I would push them both. I'm not sure how far down I would go. AT+/88+ maybe.

curtains
07-19-2005, 04:07 AM
Well I generally raise to 150 in that situatiuon instead of allin....its obviously fine with all of the hands you mentioned, even stuff like A7o. To repeat I would never move allin in this spot as opposed to normal raise, but I don't think theres anything too wrong with it.

The problem with headsup play sometimes is even if you raise to 150 or whatever and they move allin, you dont know that they dont have weaker ace, or KQ, or QTs, so sometimes I just wrap up a clear +EV play with a hand I may have considered folding to a reraise, if that makes any sense.

ace_in_the_hole
07-19-2005, 04:07 AM
I agree, he can only call with a monster. But I do think that this is a better play at the higher levels. I'm not that excited to get called by QT or QJ and at the lower levels people will call with that kind of hand.

Nottom
07-19-2005, 04:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree, he can only call with a monster. But I do think that this is a better play at the higher levels. I'm not that excited to get called by QT or QJ and at the lower levels people will call with that kind of hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

They don't only call with monsters even at 100s, thats one of the reasons I specified an average player. If you have been stealing a bit recently the play is even stronger.

I'm not pushing to get a fold here, I'm pushing to get a call from a hand I dominate. In this particular case he thought for a bit and called with QJo which isn't perfect but is obviously fine with me. Most of the time they call with Ax or a big K and you laugh at them from behind your computer screen. Some times you are flipping coins, but of all the times I've done this I would guess they call with dominated crap way more often than hands that are 50% or better.

Jay36489
07-19-2005, 04:29 AM
It's kind of like the "move of honor" in a ring game where you basically throw it all in (in that case w/ AA or KK) hoping to get called becuase its such a large crazy overbet, and in the times it gets called (which is rare) the payoff is huge. Its more a psycholigical play (you have insulted their honor with such a raise, hence the name).

Its good to see the move is still alive in one form or another, as it died when party went to 100xBB for NL ring.

11t
07-19-2005, 04:35 AM
I don't see you getting called very often here when you have villain crushed(aq-).

A line I like to use is to just limp/re-raise(push). I dislike getting involved in big pots out of position with AK.

curtains
07-19-2005, 05:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see you getting called very often here when you have villain crushed(aq-).

A line I like to use is to just limp/re-raise(push). I dislike getting involved in big pots out of position with AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I despise limp reraising here, it should cost you money.

45suited
07-19-2005, 07:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I see this get called all the time at the lower buy-ins (22s and 11s). Players at those levels love to call with AT or even much worse here. That's why I love making this play too.

pergesu
07-19-2005, 07:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
When he open-pushes from SB, he's no longer playing a big pot out of position with AK. He's eliminated position.

And you won't believe how many people will call that with any ace, without a second thought, cause they're not gonna let that [censored] deny them the right to a free flop.

youngfor3
07-19-2005, 02:24 PM
I know the OP was talking about a $100 buy-in game, but this is a play I also use at the $22's on Ultimate Bet. I will either open-push with AK from the SB or push from the BB when the SB completes.

It's amazing how many times I have been called with A-4o, K-10, etc. People at the $22's view the huge overbet as a bluff and think their marginal hand is the nuts. I find it a very profitable play.

adanthar
07-19-2005, 02:28 PM
On July 4th, some guy completed his SB in level 3, I pushed AK from the BB and he called with Q2o.

On Sunday, there was one UTG limper in the Bodog 100K with 30/60 blinds, I pushed AK from the SB and he turbo called with 55 (took no time to think at all).

If it works...

Newt_Buggs
07-19-2005, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I kind of like limp reraising....
The OP's play seems kind of like overkill and I hate raising to 150, gettign a call, and the flop coming rags.

curtains
07-19-2005, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I kind of like limp reraising....
The OP's play seems kind of like overkill and I hate raising to 150, gettign a call, and the flop coming rags.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate limp reraising because people simply don't raise enough. Yet they fold too often when I raise, and just because a flop comes rags doesn't mean it's impossible for me to play.

I don't want to do something exotic for no reason here. You have AKo headsup, just raise like a normal person. If they do happen to call, then make a new decision on the flop. You'll have top pair a decent % of the time, and youll have a great bluffing flop some other % of the time. If it comes 976, feel free to check/fold, sometimes things don't work out perfectly and okay, you've lost 125-200 chips...its not really a big deal.

Also even when you miss and it's a reall ugly flop, it sometimes gets checked around for a while and your hand either turns out to be good with ace high, you catch a pair, or an oppurtunity to bluff arises later in the hand.

btw in this type of situation with a huge stack and nearing the bubble, I think it's reasonable to raise with any 2. Not saying I'd do that but theres no way in hell I'm going to take my huge stack and limp in with AKo from the SB. I obviously exagerated the terribleness of the play, but I really don't like it. I really try to avoid all the unneccessary fancy BS. Limping in headsup with a giant stack and AKo qualifies as overly fancy.

DaveWilliams
07-19-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is at a 100+9 but I don't think level matters much here.

I have 3K and am the chip leader with 6 players, I'm in the SB.

The BB is an average player with around 1000 chips.

Blinds are 25/50.

Folded to me with AK and I push.

Thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow! Such an incredible and groundbreaking move!

In all seriousness, I can't believe you have been here this long and you think this move is interesting or special? I think this play is very standard, and boring. YOu suck, honestly, I expect better out of long time posters. Stop the clutter moron.

Nottom
07-19-2005, 04:38 PM
Go back in your hole and pretend to be someone famous where people might care.

DaveWilliams
07-19-2005, 04:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Go back in your hole and pretend to be someone famous where people might care.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, but it still does not change the fact that you suck at poker.

good2cu
07-19-2005, 04:58 PM
DaveWillaims the difference between this and the normal push from SB is that his oppent has 20BB and he has more, and the move is normally only used with >10BB. Your the only one cluttering up the board.

barry111
07-19-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
*** You are ignoring this user ***

[/ QUOTE ]

Nottom
07-19-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
*** You are ignoring this user ***

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

skierdude1000
07-19-2005, 05:09 PM
lol why would you ever do that.

The only times you get called, you lose like 95% of those times

11t
07-19-2005, 05:13 PM
I realize he has eliminated position but what I am referring to simply raising and then getting called and being out of position with a pot that is roughly 1/3rd of your stack sitting in front of you on a completely whiffed flop.

11t
07-19-2005, 05:15 PM
Your e-thugness impresses me.

douchebag.

kuro
07-19-2005, 05:24 PM
I don't like it, because you're more likely to get a loose call from a pocket pair than from AJ/AQ. Why not just make a standard raise and a continuation bet if you get called and take down a small pot.

curtains
07-19-2005, 06:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I realize he has eliminated position but what I am referring to simply raising and then getting called and being out of position with a pot that is roughly 1/3rd of your stack sitting in front of you on a completely whiffed flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but think about how often you get called preflop. The answer is not that much. Secondly think about how often you hit the flop...the answer is a decent amount of the time. Thirdly you will win when you don't hit quite often.

Apathy
07-19-2005, 06:57 PM
How good you are at playing out of position post flop has a lot to do with whether or not you should push this. I never have open pushed any hand with those stack sizes, blinds and positions ever in a SNG but like curtains said its not a losing play at all.

One thing you may want to consider is the "meta" effect a play like this has on the remainder of the tournament...

Moonsugar
07-19-2005, 07:18 PM
Aren't you from Denmark?

This is fairly common play from Scandinavian and Russian players.