PDA

View Full Version : need advice, do you tip apartment movers?

wonderwes
07-19-2005, 12:17 AM
I am moving into a new apartment and decided to hire movers for the very first time. I just let them move the large items, the rest I would transport in my car. I dont have that much total stuff to be transported. So I have never hired movers before. I found a good moving company, but my question is do you tip the mover guys at the end of the day? If so, what percentage do you give them? Thanks.

-Skeme-
07-19-2005, 12:20 AM
My brother works for a moving company and he makes good money from tip, so yes, you're supposed to tip them. If they have a harder job I think you tip them more. I helped him one day and some lady had 97 winding steps up this huge hill to her house. It was not a fun day.

RacersEdge
07-19-2005, 12:32 AM
I didn't tip my guys at all - except - I gave them some brand new work shoes I had ($100) and a gave them a 6 pack of beer I had in the fridge. So if you have some stuff you don't want to take with you, you could give it to them.

My problem with the tip on my last move is that my company paid for the move, set it up, etc. So why should I tip them?

Clarkmeister
07-19-2005, 12:37 AM
The search function is the one near the top center of the page.

nothumb
07-19-2005, 01:27 AM
There was a recent thread about this.

But yes, I think you should tip them. If it's only a few big items no need to go overboard, and if you don't want to drop too much, showing some consideration goes a long way. (i.e. ordering lunch, giving them some beers, learning their names, etc).

If you do tip, I would say tipping less than $10 a man is a bit insulting. Keep that in mind.

NT