PDA

View Full Version : what's the password - to see if there are other 2+2 at your game?

Kips Bay Kid
07-18-2005, 11:52 PM
I might have to read here a bit more to get the inside lingo, but how do you find out if there are other 2+2'ers at your table? It sounds kinda odd to say, so anyone here from 2+2? I was playing in a tournament and then $1/$2 NL in the city tonight (nyc) - was anyone there? There's a regular named "Vegas" that showed up with his girlfriend in case anyone was playing with me. I guess I could just make small talk and say yeah that hand was a no brainer, like 2+2, or some other blunt statement.

That's all I am saying - No PM's - I will not respond, so please do not ask me any questions.

bholdr
07-18-2005, 11:59 PM
i don't believe i get to answer first! there are two commonly accepted ways of determining if there are other 2+2ers at the table- first is to make a refrence to "brown trout"- sometimes in a sentance like "is the brown trout any good here?" etc... the other is to say "'sup bro?" to the player you suspect is a forum menmber. both tend to backfire, but it's better than shouting out: "i'm a 2+2er, anyone else here post there too?"

though, i usually can see it in a person's play, and i like to ask them privatly if they're a member.

GL to you

SamIAm
07-19-2005, 01:29 AM
Generally, I think if you don't know the question, you shouldn't ask it. Having an account's not such a big deal. I mean, don't go overboard with the secret-handshake mumbo-jumbo. If I see somebody play tight, aggressive, smart poker, I might say something like "Hey, TeddyBGK, do you know a guy named BisonBison? He's an internet celebrity around here."

Once, after they said 'no', a guy who had just sat down said "Sure. The bison is cousins with the grizzly bear and the brown trout. But that's enough talk of animals."

Very classy. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
-Sam

SamIAm
07-19-2005, 01:31 AM
'Sup bro (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1351699)?
-Sam

Bulbarainey
07-19-2005, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

lmfao, i never got to see that post, but it made me cry laughing, thanks /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Al_Capone_Junior
07-19-2005, 02:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I could just make small talk and say yeah that hand was a no brainer, like 2+2, or some other blunt statement.

That's all I am saying - No PM's - I will not respond, so please do not ask me any questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're willing to make blunt statements in public, but not discuss anything privately over PM? Seems extremely counter-intuitive to me.

I'd PM you with some advice on this matter, but....

Guess you'll just have to figure it out on your own then.

al

IronDragon1
07-19-2005, 02:55 AM
As soon as I enter a pokerroom, I usually just shout at the top of my lungs: "Does anyone here post on that poker site for good players twoplustwo.com? I repeat-is there anyone among this sea of idiot fish who posts on two-the number spelled out-plustwo.com?"

Seriously though I don't even worry about it unless someone approaches me about it. But I suppose if I were actively looking for other twoplustwoers I would just wait to see a player's demeanor/playing style and probably find a way to work "sup bro?" into a casual conversation.

tek
07-19-2005, 07:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...how do you find out if there are other 2+2'ers at your table?

[/ QUOTE ]

You need to know this because??

Kips Bay Kid
07-19-2005, 07:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I guess I could just make small talk and say yeah that hand was a no brainer, like 2+2, or some other blunt statement.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're willing to make blunt statements in public, but not discuss anything privately over PM? Seems extremely counter-intuitive to me.

I'd PM you with some advice on this matter, but....

Guess you'll just have to figure it out on your own then.

al

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm, the reason I said that was I did not want to get flooded as to where the game was, if you want to PM me for other reasons I will not get hostile.

Kips Bay Kid
07-19-2005, 07:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]
nice easy enough

Kips Bay Kid
07-19-2005, 07:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So when you try to figure out if I post here I can respond appropriately? Is it so bad to put a face to a name? If you want to preserve your anonimity so be it!

phillydilly
07-19-2005, 08:28 AM
I usually make some reference to needing a better pattern mapper after a bad beat. If it gets a laugh from somebody, I assume they read 2+2

Drewboy22
07-19-2005, 08:29 AM
The last time I played live I was talking to a woman next to me and we started talking about our children....I mentioned that my 16 year old was all-county and had 15 tackles for losses.....a guy at the other end of the table said "sup bro?" The woman didn't get it....lol.

Al_Capone_Junior
07-19-2005, 01:46 PM
Well, OK then. I had to bust your balls a little tho. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, I usually just ask them if they're a poster on the forum. If they are, it's real obvious right away. If they aren't, it's also obvious. If they aren't, and they ask "what's that?" I tell them "the wife-swappers forum." That usually ends it real quick.

al

Rosencrantz1
07-19-2005, 02:13 PM
How about "I'm grunching...anyone here grunching?"

If there aren't any 2+2ers, then the folks at the table will sure as hell leave you be.

tricolore
07-19-2005, 02:47 PM
i don't remember a guy named vegas but i was at the tournament and then joined the 1/2 table later in the evening. what time where you at the 1/2 --- pretty sure we played together.

AliasMrJones
07-19-2005, 03:03 PM
I believe the complete sign is, "The brown trout sleeps in the closet." And the positive counter-sign is, "That he does." Though that originated in the Zoo, I think that is fairly well known throughout 2+2-dom at this point. I usually ask, "Hey, do you know the one about the brown trout in the closet?"

I wish I had a punch line for the usual case that they have no idea what I'm talking about and think it is a real joke...

MisterKing
07-19-2005, 04:47 PM
Online, I use either brown trout or "sup bro."
When the other player is confused by this, I immediately cover by saying "oh, you haven't heard of them? They're a great garage band from (fill in other user's location). You're really missing out man." This immediately gets them off thinking that they've been offered a secret handshake, and instead makes them (presumably) think I'm just an oddball.

Live, I keep a brown trout card protector in front of my stack, which other 2+2ers recognize immediately. Happened twice a few weeks ago at Borgata. I will throw out a "sup bro" in a live game IF I've played with the guy for a few hours, know he is TAG, and am HU with him in a hand. That way I have his/her attention. I once got 2+2er Scrub by this method when he was screwing around/drinking in a Borgata 1/2 NL game.

Eegs
07-19-2005, 05:05 PM
Why doesn't 2+2 make some t-shirt that says 'sup bro?'

BillsChips
07-19-2005, 08:20 PM
How about something like this?

http://www.cafepress.com/browntrout

smoore
07-20-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why doesn't 2+2 make some t-shirt that says 'sup bro?'

[/ QUOTE ]

There needs to be a hockey jersey with the player name "Sup Bro" and the team name "Fifteen Tackles" and the player number "95"

I'm kidding.

[censored], someone is making it right now.

tek
07-20-2005, 08:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So when you try to figure out if I post here I can respond appropriately? Is it so bad to put a face to a name? If you want to preserve your anonimity so be it!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Take it easy dude. I just thought you needed to know as far as playing, as if you couldn't adjust to their play without also knowing if they post here...

W. Deranged
07-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Just mention after you lose a hand that your opponent has nothing on you because you had 15 tackles for losses back in 1995...

If you hear uproarious laughter from someone they are a 2+2er...

If someone starts up a conversation about high school football, my apologies...

MisterKing
07-20-2005, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just mention after you lose a hand that your opponent has nothing on you because you had 15 tackles for losses back in 1995...

If you hear uproarious laughter from someone they are a 2+2er...

If someone starts up a conversation about high school football, my apologies...

[/ QUOTE ]

And just to be clear, it is 15 tackles for losses in '95, not 15 total tackles. The 15 figure doesn't include the numerous other tackles Sup Bro had during the season.

W. Deranged
07-20-2005, 10:26 AM
And I don't think it includes the 5 sacks...

Good correction, though...

Diesel10
07-20-2005, 11:12 AM
And what ever happened to sup breaux?
I would probably buy the shirt mentioned above. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

coffeecrazy1
07-20-2005, 11:32 AM
I'm sorry to say that I may just have to get one of those shirts.

toby
07-20-2005, 07:38 PM
How about

http://www.cafepress.com/plusev

?

MisterKing
07-20-2005, 09:59 PM
Nah, I'm holding out for an ULTIMATE FILLMAFF hat.